inTank Media Baskets

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

MainelyReefer
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I tried that once and could not get it to work. Can you point me in the direction of a how to?

Try thisEC1D6B4F-79F6-44E2-B651-77F63B726200.thumb.jpeg.82aa652ae4164e9616a3a90173d95149.jpeg67D7F64F-3733-4632-BCAA-3843289D02A0.thumb.jpeg.11ee8a9eca70b69ff10f5e6a5cb63d4c.jpeg88F5C970-277D-4ACD-AF40-A167E0883A94.thumb.jpeg.95624bdbbfdc5c364b68775a0107ead3.jpeg

you throttle the ball valve on bottom to a slow drip and the tube that extends from the top will be the set water level, once it fills to the tube a vacuum will stop the bottle from draining.  Used it for years on my 4g pico

43 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Try thisEC1D6B4F-79F6-44E2-B651-77F63B726200.thumb.jpeg.82aa652ae4164e9616a3a90173d95149.jpeg67D7F64F-3733-4632-BCAA-3843289D02A0.thumb.jpeg.11ee8a9eca70b69ff10f5e6a5cb63d4c.jpeg88F5C970-277D-4ACD-AF40-A167E0883A94.thumb.jpeg.95624bdbbfdc5c364b68775a0107ead3.jpeg

you throttle the ball valve on bottom to a slow drip and the tube that extends from the top will be the set water level, once it fills to the tube a vacuum will stop the bottle from draining.  Used it for years on my 4g pico

I understand all of those words individually. You put them together in that order and I have no idea what tf it means 🤣

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

It’s proven and cheap. The 2.5g has an available glass lid($6 too so it’s cheap), this may not be viable with most people’s planned setup though.  Rimless tanks have no cheap/readily available lids to reduce evaporation, for this reason everyone’s proposal of equipment limitations via financial caps might be overviewing that an ATO will be needed for sumped, AIOs, and probably a tank running topless with HOB.  

Aquamaxx (aka mr Aqua) tank’s have available lids, same with ADA tanks and most other big rimless tank makers. Custom lids could be made as the clips for the rimless covers are available separately.

MainelyReefer
18 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

Aquamaxx (aka mr Aqua) tank’s have available lids, same with ADA tanks and most other big rimless tank makers. Custom lids could be made as the clips for the rimless covers are available separately.

Links for premade mr.aqua lids? I see clips that are unavailable but would love lids for my mr.aqua tanks

6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I tried that once and could not get it to work. Can you point me in the direction of a how to?

Just take the ball off...add some snug airline tubing to the end of the metal and let the tip sit just under water. It will drain when exposed to air only.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Links for premade mr.aqua lids? I see clips that are unavailable but would love lids for my mr.aqua tanks

Here’s the link, they’re technically for ultum nature series tanks but I think they have same dimensions as mr aqua tanks. I know the bookshelf tanks share the same dimensions.

https://shop.glassaqua.com/search?q=glass+lid

Here’s a link for ADA lids as well

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/aquarium-tank-cabinet/glass-cover

Generally freshwater/planted tank stores carry more of this stuff, great for ultra clean/modern look.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

After a bit of difficulty, I finally found a ~2ishG premade pico at a LFS. 

20190307_125115.thumb.jpg.3da51344604f78b39417946a16ddaeaa.jpg

20190307_125041.thumb.jpg.a87d3f6519d692d9fb95634155ec7f62.jpg

Dimensions are roughly 12" x 6" x 6". I saw another one: 20190307_125034.thumb.jpg.52349ebced6d43358c619f51e468173b.jpg

But I think it's around 3G. There are no premade 2.5Gs here, as far as I've checked. Maybe the northern states might have them but I'm very limited based on where I stay. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Dimensions are roughly 12" x 6" x 6".

Nice find; sounds like that might qualify.  Maybe wait until we get a final confirmation.  I'm thinking it won't be long now.

• Like 1

Since it sounds like almost everyone is settled on the 2.5 gallon standard aquarium size, please allow me to throw in this monkey wrench:

THe MiniComplete pico reef!

Image result for minicomplete reef

Negatives:
Few people have one lying around
Awfully small
Probably difficult to grow anything other than very hardy corals

Positives:
Size, etc. already tandardized (but may allow for customization)
Stocking and aquascaping will be a real challenge
Inspire others who are considering one of these
They look so cute!
They're all the rage right now
CUTENESS!
Widely available on eBay & elsewhere on the interwebz
Did I mention they were cute?

1 hour ago, hayseed777 said:

The mini completes are a PITA. 

Highly disagree with this.  It has been a very easy tank to care for imo. 

MainelyReefer
10 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Highly disagree with this.  It has been a very easy tank to care for imo. 

The only thing I have been able to glean from all the mini complete threads is that they are poorly built and I would never want one especially for the price. If you guys all hadn’t documented the process we wouldn’t know they were POS!

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

The only thing I have been able to glean from all the mini complete threads is that they are poorly built and I would never want one especially for the price. If you guys all hadn’t documented the process we wouldn’t know they were POS!

How did you gather that from my thread ? The only thing I did to make it better was modify the flow output. Pretty much the same thing everyone does with any aio they buy. It would have worked just fine as built, but I have plans for higher flow needs . 

MainelyReefer
Just now, jbb_00 said:

How did you gather that from my thread ? The only thing I did to make it better was modify the flow output. Pretty much the same thing everyone does with any aio they buy. It would have worked just fine as built, but I have plans for higher flow needs . 

I said all threads not just jbb_00’s thread, together they all paint a picture of a junky product

15 hours ago, seabass said:

That sounds close enough to me.  However, I get 2.2 gallons for the volume.

Maybe it is 2.2g? I honestly have forgotten. Lol. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

I said all threads not just jbb_00’s thread, together they all paint a picture of a junky product

That 'junky product' comes from my home country. :ninja:

I know there have been quality issues and it isn't fantastic, but a lot of people worldwide seem to enjoy it. It is however, very expensive locally. 

I thought of getting one down the road, but making it a planted picotank for CRS. I miss breeding and keeping FW shrimp. And I think having a minitank on my desk would actually look kinda cool. :coolguy:

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, DPRoberts said:

Since it sounds like almost everyone is settled on the 2.5 gallon standard aquarium size, please allow me to throw in this monkey wrench:

THe MiniComplete pico reef!

Image result for minicomplete reef

Negatives:
Few people have one lying around
Awfully small
Probably difficult to grow anything other than very hardy corals

Positives:
Size, etc. already tandardized (but may allow for customization)
Stocking and aquascaping will be a real challenge
Inspire others who are considering one of these
They look so cute!
They're all the rage right now
CUTENESS!
Widely available on eBay & elsewhere on the interwebz
Did I mention they were cute?

You would have to give me one to try out the product. Which IMO I will just add to my tank and equipment tower, like a star on top of a Xmas 🌲 

AD915362-65B1-4C3F-B933-C3DBBC317A5A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Snow_Phoenix
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Nice find; sounds like that might qualify.  Maybe wait until we get a final confirmation.  I'm thinking it won't be long now.

It's affordable too. Only RM 38, if I'm not mistaken. But I didn't check it for scratches or cracks. There's only one available. The 3G one is too wide, IMO. If it's the first tank, it'll fit perfectly on one of the cabinets I have in my bedroom. Pretty much have a collection of old equipment lying around which I could string together to put up a tank. 

And the dimensions actually makes scaping options fun. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Theres instructions here. 

It's really easy, remove the ball that's in the stainless "hose". 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Count me in 

i have my aquascape planned

DD2170EB-3B08-4E5A-9C7F-08C8727D3B47.jpeg.a4cee75bc7e6d7969f8b76375e54536d.jpeg

those look like something you'd find on a Pandorian (movie Avatar reference) beach.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic