Pod Your Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

A Little Blue

@Christopher MarksWe need rules and we need them now. 

People are confused. 

I’m confused. 

Dear mob,

@jbb_00 idea isn’t radical or has any advantage to other ways of filtration but it’s esthetically pleasing. 

Are you telling me that internal filters aren’t as obstructive, similar in size and do exactly what he aims to achieve (except that he actually cares what it looks like since he plans on keeping the tank long after this contest)????

Give me a break. If you wanna keep it ugly, cheap or whatever, that’s on you. 

But trying to shout down someone for choosing a rimless tank or some neat idea  makes me question your motives. 

Should we all run the same tank, same filtration, light etc? 

I get it, you want to win. 

I get it, you feel disadvantaged as far as budget, skills or ideas, but don’t hold creative people from having some fun. 

• Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix

I don't think anyone is actively trying to shoot his idea down. Looking back, his concept is really nice, and since he's keeping it long-term, he might as well do it. It's just, there's a lot of confusion as you've mentioned, Blue. The best thing to do is just wait patiently for CM to finalize the rules. 

I'm personally going rimless, but that is because that was the only tank I could find that fit the 'dimension' rules, and was available to me ready-made locally. I'm pitching in for the fun of it anyway. My location alone already tosses me out for winning anything. But I don't mind. I might actually keep my Pico up and going long-term too, as a mini project of sorts. My whole family seems to have developed a vested interest in it as well, and we can't wait to get started. Plus, I have a psycho Pom Pom to house. :wink:

• Like 10
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I don't think anyone is actively trying to shoot his idea down.

Agreed. Because if it is allowed other people will probably rethink thier options.

• Like 5

Well said Snow Phoenix.  We just have to be patient, Chris mentioned that we'll have the rules this week.

I believe there is a desire to have these tanks visually and functionally similar, as well as easily sourced.  The trick is where to draw the lines.  If this is allowed, then why not that.  It's a lot less confusing if only HOB filters are allowed; however, I certainly get why people wish to setup something more aesthetically pleasing, or even with more effective flow and/or filtration.  It seems that CM wants this to be more of a reef keeping competition, and less of a tank building competition.

IDK, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

IDK, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

are you saying  you have mastered time travel?  O_0

if so, just travel to the contest end date and tell us who wins now so we can stop all the hub bub!  :lol:

19 minutes ago, Friendly said:

if so, just travel to the contest end date and tell us who wins now so we can stop all the hub bub!  :lol:

It's not me, they won't let me in :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Sorry, that would violate the temporal prime directive and pollute the timeline. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sorry, that would violate the temporal prime directive and pollute the timeline. :wink:

fortunately for us, we're before the Federation...we can do whatever we want. where's the Doc and Marty McFly when you need them?  😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
righttirefire

@jbb_00 i love your concept and would have wished to something similar to your concept. But a higher power than CM shot me down. So let me know how much bubble algea and aptasia you want id love to see that little guy flourish!

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

@jbb_00 i love your concept and would have wished to something similar to your concept. But a higher power than CM shot me down. So let me know how much bubble algea and aptasia you want id love to see that little guy flourish!

give her one of these 

🥀

• Haha 1
righttirefire
59 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

give her one of these 

🥀

I tried offering her goods and/or services. She settled on the 25 lagoon and no pico. So... 

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I tried offering her goods and/or services. She settled on the 25 lagoon and no pico. So... 

get one and have it delivered at the same time as the Lagoon. feign surprise and say they must have thrown it in for free.  :rolleyes:

Christopher Marks

I think @seabass said it well, this is to be a reef keeping competition first and foremost, not a tank building competition. For the sake of a level playing field, the tank and equipment selection has been intentionally limited. The parameters have also been kept intentionally basic in the spirit of inclusiveness, this is a system that virtually anyone can find the parts to build! I love seeing the creative customization ideas, but we'll have to save them for another future contest where we can focus on the custom tank building aspect.

Internal filters will not be allowed after all, sorry @jbb_00! We're going hang-on-back filter only for this competition, with supplemental circulation provided by an powerhead or air bubbler. Surface skimmer modifications will be allowed only if applied to the HOB filter, so long as it does not divide the tank.  The line has to be drawn somewhere, this is where I've settled. As the community nears its 18th anniversary next month, this format is a great throwback to the early pico reefs that pioneered this entire idea.

Despite the gear limitations, our tank selection still provides a lot of options within this classic size range, and there's plenty of opportunity to customize other aspects of the tank like with a custom stand or canopy, custom light, paint the back of your tanks, modify the hang on back filter, etc.

If you've already started dreaming up custom tank that won't fit into our competition, please don't let us hold you back, build it anyways and cheer from the sidelines, you still have our support! :grouphug:

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3
This guy is extra salty
7 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

We're going hang-on-back filter only for this competition, with supplemental circulation provided by an powerhead or air bubbler. Surface skimmer modifications will be allowed only if applied to the HOB filter, so long as it does not divide the tank.

Awesome back to the drawing board 

and building a HOB filter 1/2gal max for HOB right?!😤

15 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think @seabass said it well, this is to be a reef keeping competition first and foremost, not a tank building competition. For the sake of a level playing field, the tank and equipment selection has been intentionally limited. The parameters have also been kept intentionally basic in the spirit of inclusiveness, this is a system that virtually anyone can find the parts to build! I love seeing the creative customization ideas, but we'll have to save them for another future contest where we can focus on the custom tank building aspect.

Internal filters will not be allowed after all, sorry @jbb_00! We're going hang-on-back filter only for this competition, with supplemental circulation provided by an powerhead or air bubbler. Surface skimmer modifications will be allowed only if applied to the HOB filter, so long as it does not divide the tank.  The line has to be drawn somewhere, this is where I've settled. As the community nears its 18th anniversary next month, this format is a great throwback to the early pico reefs that pioneered this entire idea.

Despite the gear limitations, our tank selection still provides a lot of options within this classic size range, and there's plenty of opportunity to customize other aspects of the tank like with a custom stand or canopy, custom light, paint the back of your tanks, modify the hang on back filter, etc.

If you've already started dreaming up custom tank that won't fit into our competition, please don't let us hold you back, build it anyways and cheer from the sidelines, you still have our support! :grouphug:

Going forward Secret Santa is open to All of the world ... Except Phoenix 😎

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1

Ah man! I was holding out for internal filters...oh well. It makes sense - keep the equipment similar to level the playing field.

The bookshelf I had planned on keeping it in might not be big enough to accommodate an HOB but maybe I can make it work.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

@Christopher MarksWe need rules and we need them now. 

People are confused. 

I’m confused. 

Dear mob,

@jbb_00 idea isn’t radical or has any advantage to other ways of filtration but it’s esthetically pleasing. 

Are you telling me that internal filters aren’t as obstructive, similar in size and do exactly what he aims to achieve (except that he actually cares what it looks like since he plans on keeping the tank long after this contest)????

Give me a break. If you wanna keep it ugly, cheap or whatever, that’s on you. 

But trying to shout down someone for choosing a rimless tank or some neat idea  makes me question your motives. 

Should we all run the same tank, same filtration, light etc? 

I get it, you want to win. 

I get it, you feel disadvantaged as far as budget, skills or ideas, but don’t hold creative people from having some fun. 

I was more concerned that people are wasting their time with some of the builds posted here. 

Not being melevolent.

• Like 4
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I was more concerned that people are wasting their time with some of the builds posted here. 

It’s their time. 

Have fun. I know I will. 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic