Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I get where you are coming from but the "pump inside the tank" argument is difficult if someone decides to use the seachem tidal. the small "35" unit places the pump inside the tank as well and the pumps into the HOB filter. 

Didn't even know that kind if hob existed!

🤔

shaneandjohn
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Unless CM crushes my dreams this is my idea 

20190319_162130.thumb.jpg.50d093f07e3fad3f3d466b2df0c3e800.jpg

20190319_162154.thumb.jpg.c56c1ef3cebc6ec9cd31f7b272ed2ca9.jpg

This looks Very nice Sir!  This is something I could get away with..... While I understand some people are good with the “ Janky Tank “ appearance / themes , it is something that I could personally Never get away with in my home.  My wife is generally supportive of my reefing hobby, however, it Must be visually appealing and seamlessly blend with the aesthetics of our home.

It is for this reason I have come to the realization that I wont be participating in anything themed

“Janky or Ghettofabulous “ 

• Haha 5
7 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

This looks Very nice Sir!  This is something I could get away with..... While I understand some people are good with the “ Janky Tank “ appearance / themes , it is something that I could personally Never get away with in my home.  My wife is generally supportive of my reefing hobby, however, it Must be visually appealing and seamlessly blend with the aesthetics of our home.

It is for this reason I have come to the realization that I wont be participating in anything themed

If it were just for the 6 or so months then I would have went ghettofabulous but I plan to keep it so I went the Spectra peer pressure route . 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

So ummm CM better say yes 

20190319_174443.thumb.jpg.b94548f3fff244031662befc721edcd7.jpg

20190319_174457.thumb.jpg.5039a6b84cf7f0cd8218ced44a613208.jpg

I like it!!   May have to copy the idea although I was thinking the same thing......Making a small acrylic overflow like that should not be to hard.....

If I have to use a HOB would still rather have something like that so surface skimming is happening......

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

Oh you snooty reefer :tongueout:

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

If it were just for the 6 or so months then I would have went ghettofabulous but I plan to keep it so I went the Spectra peer pressure route . 

No peer pressure involved :unsure: I just like the look of a rimless tank..........and so do you see you bought one.............

19 hours ago, JBM said:

Your wife and my wife must have spoken to each other.

Since im officially out. No sense in keeping my awesome idea to myself. I planned, and sketched up a drop off 2.5g. It was gonna be fabulous.

It's a sad state of affairs. 

6 minutes ago, spectra said:

I like it!!   May have to copy the idea although I was thinking the same thing......Making a small acrylic overflow like that should not be to hard.....

If I have to use a HOB would still rather have something like that so surface skimming is happening......

Yeah if it gets shot down I will block CM from secret Santa participation and still use the box for the HOB 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
shaneandjohn
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Oh you snooty reefer :tongueout:

Lmao 😂    The 23’rd of this month is our 23’rd wedding anniversary. After all these years I know what I can get away with and what I cant 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

Lmao 😂    The 23’rd of this month is our 23’rd wedding anniversary. After all these years I know what I can get away with and what I cant 

Oh even better just tell her happy anniversary look what I got you omgomgomg

:lol:

Mrs Crossfit just said jesus............. you fish geeks have contests :lol:

• Haha 8
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

:lol:

Mrs Crossfit just said jesus............. you fish geeks have contests :lol:

How else does she expect us to display our superior geekdom ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you allow that I think AIOs have to be allowed because that's basically a small AIO. In terms of being fair. 

But sticking the intake of a filter into the same box does what exactly ? 

The AIO inserts take up half the tank and change the tank completely. 

Edited by jbb_00
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

But sticking the intake of a filter into the same box does what exactly ? 

The AIO inserts take up half the tank and change the tank completely. 

If you put a skinny aio insert along the back wall it wouldn't change the tank Imo...just would have a black looking wall.

Maybe those hob boxes shouldn't be allowed either then idk...depends how bulky they are I suppose. 

I would also say undergravel filters don't change the tank either. Less then the boxes on hobs. I think they were ruled out though ?

Same could be said for canisters. Doesn't affect the look of the tank.

9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you put a skinny aio insert along the back wall it wouldn't change the tank Imo...just would have a black looking wall.

Maybe those hob boxes shouldn't be allowed either then idk...depends how bulky they are I suppose. 

I would also say undergravel filters don't change the tank either. Less then the boxes on hobs. I think they were ruled out though ?

Same could be said for canisters. Doesn't affect the look of the tank.

Submersible filter pumps are basically AIO filtration but are allowed ? 

I'm sure that each of these points are being considered.  As people are pointing out, the lines get blurred between an overflow, surface skimmer, internal filter, etc.  That's why I'm sticking with a HOB filter.

I'm kind of tempted to suggest that we consider a separate open category to showcase some of these more creative builds.  IDK. :unsure:

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Submersible filter pumps are basically AIO filtration but are allowed ? 

I figured he meant the maxijet looking pumps that basically have a sponge in them or whatever not the huge tunze looking ones.

Basically I don't see where a cutoff has been drawn...it is a slippery slope.

• Like 5
Underworld2.0

I say stick to the OG rules posted at this point as Im Starting to get why contests have rules, standard tank with rim HOB and build a pico, when I posted anything goes and someone said yeah then they would plumb it to the main system, I was like damn people would do that. 

I say OG rules janky skanky, whatever it may be . 

55 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm kind of tempted to suggest that we consider a separate open category to showcase some of these more creative builds.  IDK. :unsure:

oh open category............balls to the walls go all out on a 2.5 :lol: that zero edge idea would be pretty cool...........

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

oh open category............balls to the walls go all out on a 2.5 :lol: that zero edge idea would be pretty cool...........

Zero edge tanks are acrylic with rounded corners so the water falls evenly..I don't think it is ez to pull off right but if someone can make a tank like that...they got my vote cuz i wanna know how lol

24 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Zero edge tanks are acrylic with rounded corners so the water falls evenly..I don't think it is ez to pull off right but if someone can make a tank like that...they got my vote cuz i wanna know how lol

Router table and the right bit is all you need 🙂

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Router table and the right bit is all you need 🙂

I got none of that....I have a file. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic