ReefCleaners.org

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

StinkyBunny
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I’ll be posting the official announcement this week!

It's about damn time.

Hearing everyone's woes I am so glad I stashed away a few boxes of Tonga branch rock when it was available. The warehouse in NYC is bare, nada.

• Like 2

I have my janky tank and rubble rock.  I have looked through old equipment for possibilities but not buying anything until I see the official posted rules.  I am ready though.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Well I might be a bit late for my build lol

a coworker burnt down my machine 

BE197E9C-D8AE-418E-B0E4-53A692C7ADBC.thumb.jpeg.267f294604260b56a6dcb0b01ad9b8ca.jpeg

Ah...frickin laser beams

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
5 hours ago, Friendly said:

what the deuce?  :blink:

Bummer. Just get something from stock tanks and call it a day. 

54 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It's about damn time.

Hearing everyone's woes I am so glad I stashed away a few boxes of Tonga branch rock when it was available. The warehouse in NYC is bare, nada.

Yeah, drove around all day yesterday and found nothing that I would concider spending more than $2 per 1lb on junky “LR”.  

Going with Russian Roulette approach: 

Dry rock (haven't done that in ages),

live sand (same).

Old light. And cheapest HOB I could find. 

At this point I concider myself out of competition and in a quest for survival. 

I got 90% aquascape finish but run out of epoxy. 

HOB filter is so junky and tinny that replacing stock media with something useful is going to be a challenge.  

Hope everyone else is doing as fabulous as I am. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Bummer. Just get something from stock tanks and call it a day. 

Yeah, drove around all day yesterday and found nothing that I would concider spending more than $2 per 1lb on junky “LR”.  

Going with Russian Roulette approach: 

Dry rock (haven't done that in ages),

live sand (same).

Old light. And cheapest HOB I could find. 

At this point I concider myself out of competition and in a quest for survival. 

I got 90% aquascape finish but run out of epoxy. 

HOB filter is so junky and tinny that replacing stock media with something useful is going to be a challenge.  

Hope everyone else is doing as fabulous as I am. 😉

Get a critter keeper around the same dimensions.....I almost did lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

There rally isn't much live rock for sale on CL or Flakebook.

I would never buy LR from anyone I don’t know. And even if I knew the guy, I wouldn’t take those odds. 

For one, any experienced reefer or successful reefer NEVER gets rid off their ROCK. THATS A SIN (so if someone is selling it..... well, you need to wonder why?) Second, there are other options that won’t jeopardize your friendship over a silly rock. 

9 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I would never buy LR from anyone I don’t know. And even if I knew the guy, I wouldn’t take those odds. 

For one, any experienced reefer or successful reefer NEVER gets rid off their ROCK. THATS A SIN (so if someone is selling it..... well, you need to wonder why?) Second, there are other options that won’t jeopardize your friendship over a silly rock. 

I mailed my friend free rock...is that a sin?

He asked what kind of fw fish to get and I said nope...you getting sw fish and packed that rock right up.

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

He asked what time of fw fish to get and I said nope...you getting sw fish and packed that rock right up.

Er...Hi friend! I like rocks too...

LOL

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

He asked what kind of fw fish to get and I said nope...you getting sw fish and packed that rock right up.

Yes it is. 

Just got text from my coral source buddy that his tank got infested with AEFW and no corals for at least a month. Now that’s a good buddy. It also means that I’ll have to pay retail for coral stocking for this tank. It just keeps getting better and better. 😒

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I would never buy LR from anyone I don’t know......

Craigslist of the LFS... either way you’re likely getting at least some rock from someone’s tank. Most tank breakdowns go back to the store it came from.

A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, Beer said:

Craigslist of the LFS... either way you’re likely getting at least some rock from someone’s tank. Most tank breakdowns go back to the store it came from.

Stop trying to sell me your infested LR guys. I told you, I’m doing dry this time. 😈

But it would be nice to persuade most of you to do the same. 😂

• Haha 1

If anybody is in Western Mass, Dave’s Pet and Soda City has has Aqueon 2.5 gallon tanks. Complete with janky seams if you want to join the Janky Tank Posse. There are some with good seams if you look.

• Like 1

Sounds like there needs to be a live rock prize catetogry for this contest! Possible categories:

Nicest

Most (Qty)

Most Infested

Most interesting source

Least (Qty)

Best impersonation

Etc Etc Etc

Cue the memes!

• Haha 4
A Little Blue
22 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Sounds like there needs to be a live rock prize catetogry for this contest! Possible categories:

Nicest

Most (Qty)

Most Infested

Most interesting source

Least (Qty)

Best impersonation

Etc Etc Etc

Cue the memes!

I don’t even know how to judge this contest? Some will probably use grown out corals from their tanks, some will go with frags and some shady ninjas gonna swap corals back and forward between tanks. Lmao 

I would like to see more tanks that start with frags and document the progress, failure and success. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I don’t even know how to judge this contest? Some will probably use grown out corals from their tanks, some will go with frags and some shady ninjas gonna swap corals back and forward between tanks. Lmao 

I would like to see more tanks that start with frags and document the progress, failure and success. 

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

IF I join (contingent on getting a power outlet installed in the doghouse...and I suppose now getting some damn live rock everyone is wiggin out about), I’m still up in the air on my plan.

One plan would be more (cough) competitive (I say that to make myself feel good because it would still really look like 💩).

The other plan would simply be about challenging myself with some corals I’ve wanted to try in a really small tank and see if I can have some personal success - i.e., don’t need no prizes! 

15 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I am starting with nothing.  I have no experience and don't know anyone personally who does.  I can't even grow algae in a jar that has been sitting in a window for the past 16 weeks.    😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

IF I join (contingent on getting a power outlet installed in the doghouse...and I suppose now getting some damn live rock everyone is wiggin out about), I’m still up in the air on my plan.

One plan would be more (cough) competitive (I say that to make myself feel good because it would still really look like 💩).

The other plan would simply be about challenging myself with some corals I’ve wanted to try in a really small tank and see if I can have some personal success - i.e., don’t need no prizes! 

If the prize is 20yo Scotch than I’m game. 

Otherwise, I don’t really care. 

1 minute ago, Wingy said:

I am starting with nothing.  I have no experience and don't know anyone personally who does.  I can't even grow algae in a jar that has been sitting in a window for the past 16 weeks.    😀

You got us. All you have to do is ask. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Wingy said:

Oh I can do that.

You outta see my sump. Nuisance algae grows over the chaeto.

I just love those pics/videos of people harvesting clean chaeto and pods from their chaeto reactors or refugiums. Gotta be fakes. 😂😂

• Haha 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic