inTank Media Baskets

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

StinkyBunny
21 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

@StinkyBunny - you laugh, but I was actually serious! Some pics of majanos I've seen are super pretty. Dark green with pink tips = :wub:

@Snow_Phoenix gets it!! I had a dream last night I was trying to grab some majanos out of someone's tank who didn't want them. It was made complicated because the majanos lived deep in holes like RFAs, the BTAs behaved like jellyfish, and the aptasia were aggressive and attacked when hands went into the tank!!! Dreams are weird. 

I've never had a Majano anemone, I've only ever seen one in person. With live rock collection done in all of the world except Florida I doubt they'll ever be common again for the foreseeable  future.

• Sad 1
StinkyBunny
8 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I think I’m going with predator theme. Maybe an angler or octopus. 

I've been looking through the lists and all I'm seeing are medium anglers. In a month the small ones will be showing up, usually the middle of April is when they do.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I've been looking through the lists and all I'm seeing are medium anglers. In a month the small ones will be showing up, usually the middle of April is when they do.

Interesting. It’s not like I was actually going to put one in 2.5gal jail cell but on the other hand....... a really small one sounds tempting. I think I might be able to keep him alive for 6 months and trade him in after to my LFS. Do you have a reliable source for these guys or LFS (or Diver’s Den) is my only option?

A Little Blue

Two shops down one to go. It always surprise me how some of these LFS stay in business? 

Gonna stop by my fav trusted LFS now as these two are pathetic. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Be afraid, be very afraid.

We're getting afraid that you won't find anything.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
A Little Blue
2 hours ago, seabass said:

We're getting afraid that you won't find anything.  Good luck.

I think you have one of those voodoo dolls. I didn’t find any good ones. What they concider live rock, I can find piled up in my backyard that accumulated over the years. It’s just a rock. No coralline, no color, nothing. 

Now I’m getting worry.

Also, talked to my fav. people from one of the LFS I visited (the only one I trust) and my strategy for this tank is getting more and more complicated. I can’t share the details just yet but I really need to rethink my options at this point. If this struggle keeps up, I might have to settle for the 2nd place. 😈🤣

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

I think you have one of those voodoo dolls. I didn’t find any good ones. What they concider live rock, I can find piled up in my backyard that accumulated over the years. It’s just a rock. No coralline, no color, nothing. 

Now I’m getting worry.

Also, talked to my fav. people from one of the LFS I visited (the only one I trust) and my strategy for this tank is getting more and more complicated. I can’t share the details just yet but I really need to rethink my options at this point. If this struggle keeps up, I might have to settle for the 2nd place. 😈🤣

Ya I went to find live rock too and meh.... they were basically sold out of the good stuff :tears: It was only good because they took a trip to FL and brought some rock back in water from gulf live rock or maybe tampa, idk.. something like that. Ofc it sold out fast and they only wanted $5 a piece for the nano sized stuff. :tears::tears::tears:

• Like 1
A Little Blue
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya I went to find live rock too and meh.... they were basically sold out of the good stuff :tears: It was only good because they took a trip to FL and brought some rock back in water from gulf live rock or maybe tampa, idk.. something like that. Ofc it sold out fast and they only wanted $5 a piece for the nano sized stuff. :tears::tears::tears:

I’m epoxying some caribsea dry rock for mock-up design. It’s not going well. 🤕

I might use some from my frag tank but I don’t have a whole lot in there. Enough to seed the dry rock ...... I hope. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
14 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

No, angler would destroy this cage in no time. I was just koddding. As far as livestock goes well, it’s too early to say. First thing first. I need to set this sucker up when this thing officially starts and figure out how efficient this filtration method is. Only then I can play Russian roulette with add-ons. To be quite honest, it feels as if I was setting up my very first tank. I don’t like getting out of my comfort zone as far as setting tank up is concern. 

I hope we hear the details soon.  The only pet store we have anywhere around here is a pet smart.  I did find my janky tank there but they don't have much equipment to choose from so I will need to order it all and I don't want to be too far behind everyone else starting my tank up.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I hope we hear the details soon.  The only pet store we have anywhere around here is a pet smart.  I did find my janky tank there but they don't have much equipment to choose from so I will need to order it all and I don't want to be too far behind everyone else starting my tank up.

I have all kinds of things coming in  the mail for this tank. I just didn't order anything direct from China, cause it wouldn't be here till the middle of April. You should have plenty of time, any ideas what you wanted to get as far as equipment?

I want an aquaclear filter just waiting on size restrictions and hoping to find a heater that will fit in the filter.  I plan to order an ABI 12 watt bulb for lighting and hope it will be enough.  That will be all of the money I plan to spend on this.  The frags will come out of my tank.  I just want a small tank by my chair.  I am not trying to win anything here, it just sounds like a small tank that I can maintain by myself.  My husband has to help with water changes and other stuff with my 75 gallon.  I can change the water on this with a solo cup.

What are your plans for the tank?

• Like 3

I might go with no light, no filter, maybe no heater, need to keep this minimalist ok

Just put that shit in a window and see what happens 😜

• Like 5
A Little Blue
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I might go with no light, no filter, maybe no heater, need to keep this minimalist ok

Just put that shit in a window and see what happens 😜

That was my plan. But it gets a bit complicated when you start giving it some thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m epoxying some caribsea dry rock for mock-up design. It’s not going well. 🤕

I might use some from my frag tank but I don’t have a whole lot in there. Enough to seed the dry rock ...... I hope. 

I have some left from the 100 and may try it......not sure yet though..

Some pukani on the side of the house to.....

45 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I want an aquaclear filter just waiting on size restrictions and hoping to find a heater that will fit in the filter.  I plan to order an ABI 12 watt bulb for lighting and hope it will be enough.  That will be all of the money I plan to spend on this.  The frags will come out of my tank.  I just want a small tank by my chair.  I am not trying to win anything here, it just sounds like a small tank that I can maintain by myself.  My husband has to help with water changes and other stuff with my 75 gallon.  I can change the water on this with a solo cup.

What are your plans for the tank?

Well, I have an AquaClear 30 on the way for it, and a little 50w heater that should fit inside of it, so that's pretty similar to your plans. I opted for a light called an Asta 20, because it comes with a gooseneck so I don't have to worry about mounting it or finding a gooseneck that can hold some weight.

As for stocking, I have no idea. I don't currently have a tank running, but I'm gonna hit up an old friend and see what he can do. He happens to work in a high end coral shop in SoCal, so hopefully I can grab some stuff out of his personal 120g

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That was my plan. But it gets a bit complicated when you start giving it some thought. 

🤔

2006-0401-4-LowRes.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
A Little Blue
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

🤔

2006-0401-4-LowRes.jpg

Something like that just a little more crazy as far as flow and nitrient export is concern. But I don’t think I’ll take that approach. My house runs steady at 70-71 winter and 69-70 during summer. It is a little challenging finding the theme under these conditions. I would have been limited to anemones and maybe some shrooms. If my temp was around 74-75, I would totally go for it. 

4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Your plans sound fine to me.  I'm sure enough to say that you could order an AquaClear 20, 30, or 50 (as we've confirmed that each of these holds less than 0.5 gallons).  There should be no heater restrictions, and no lighting restrictions.

The contest will last at least 6 months, so you should have enough time to set it up without having to rush anything.  However, my biggest concern was getting some new rock cycled in a bucket, to avoid having to wait for it later.

I know several people that will be using rock from other systems, so I don't see pre-cycling rock (in another container) as cheating.  If the contest were even longer, I'd be pushing for restrictions on rock (maybe like rock must be dry at the start, just like the tank).  However, it doesn't appear there will be any rock restrictions.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, seabass said:

The contest will last at least 6 months, so you should have enough time to set it up without having to rush anything. 

I really don't understand everyone's rush, other than excitement. There wasn't a heads up for the Creative Container Contest (that I saw) and everyone did just fine getting a container, heater, lights, flow, rocks, sand, and livestock within the allotted time... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic