ReefCleaners.org

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

skyscraper2290
2 hours ago, righttirefire said:

So the princess just killed pico... i pushed it hard today. And got a pretty stern no.

I bought the tank today and told my gf after that I’m doing this contest, always ask for forgiveness instead of permission ahahah 

• Like 1
righttirefire
6 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

I bought the tank today and told my gf after that I’m doing this contest, always ask for forgiveness instead of permission ahahah 

I was trying to push her into the contest. But im going to be setting up a 25 lagoon. So... the 25 i want or a 2.5... easy choice.

• Like 1
skyscraper2290
4 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I was trying to push her into the contest. But im going to be setting up a 25 lagoon. So... the 25 i want or a 2.5... easy choice.

Fair enough, definitely an easy choice. The pico will be my second tank up and running and she thinks it’s cute haha 😂 

• Like 1
righttirefire
1 minute ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Fair enough, definitely an easy choice. The pico will be my second tank up and running and she thinks it’s cute haha 😂 

I was trying to make it her tank. But she isnt interested

10 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

Well..................get the 2.5 and maybe give you a discount on the 25 :lol: its a win win..................tell the princess we save money................

53 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

My hubby tries to do that, I ignore him and set it up. If he tries to flush my tank, I will flush his computer. 

• Haha 5
This guy is extra salty
5 hours ago, Wingy said:

Does anyone have a Lominie Asta 20 or Pixie 30?   Does it fit on the rimmed Aqueon?  

I was interested in those if they were able to grow stuff 

8 hours ago, Wingy said:

Does anyone have a Lominie Asta 20 or Pixie 30?   Does it fit on the rimmed Aqueon?  

I have the Pixie 30. Over an IM 10, it spills light everywhere. It fits my rimmed 20L, so it should fit the 2.5. Supposedly, there was an update to the mount design to allow it to fit rimmed tanks. The early reviews are the only ones that mention it not fitting.

I don't have any experience with the Asta, but I would recommend that (for a pico) over the Pixie just because of the light spread.

I also can't speak to growth (haven't set up the IM 10 yet), but there were several reviews stating Pixie improved growth for all coral types. There's a review on YouTube where a guy tests PAR on the Pixie. It's pretty impressive.

righttirefire
6 hours ago, spectra said:

Well..................get the 2.5 and maybe give you a discount on the 25 :lol: its a win win..................tell the princess we save money................

She still thinks you're giving me the 25 so its hard to discount free... 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, righttirefire said:

She still thinks you're giving me the 25 so its hard to discount free... 

He could always pay you to take both ... 🤔

• Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix

My mother was very excited when she noticed the pico on my cabinet today. She actually ferreted out an old extension cord (to plug in all my equipment) from the depths of the storeroom downstairs and even cut out this tiny rectangular linoleum piece to be used as a 'base' (to protect the cabinet against salt 'leaks' ---> her words, not mine - I think she meant salt creep lol). She keeps asking when I'm going to fill it up. :lol:

So, the tank's definitely coming, one way or another. :happy:

• Like 9
23 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My mother was very excited when she noticed the pico on my cabinet today...  She keeps asking when I'm going to fill it up. :lol:

It's awesome that she's excited and engaged in your hobby.

• Like 4
A Little Blue

Ok, so I have made my coral selection for this project. It won’t be anything fancy or rare, just ordinary corals that are easy for beginners, relatively inexpensive, that don’t require tidal flow or expensive light options. It will be a selection of corals that are currently absent from either of my tanks. So it will be kind of a new and interesting experience. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Ok, so I have made my coral selection for this project. It won’t be anything fancy or rare, just ordinary corals that are easy for beginners, relatively inexpensive, that don’t require tidal flow or expensive light options. It will be selection of corals that are currently absent from either of my tank. So it will be kind of a new and interesting experience. 

Sounds like an excellent 2nd place plan. Keep up the good work. 😈

• Haha 6
A Little Blue
21 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Sounds like an excellent 2nd place plan. Keep up the good work. 😈

If coral selection puts me automatically in 2nd place, I might take a little less fancy route on design and filtration. Just to be fair. 😈 

Winning is way too easy. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

If coral selection puts me automatically in 2nd place, I might take a little less fancy route on design and filtration. Just to be fair. 😈 

Winning is way too easy. 

Just wait till you see my collection of exotic aiptasia , you should probably just stop wasting your money now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Just wait till you see my collection of exotic aiptasia , you should probably just stop wasting your money now. 

So you chose hardy species route for the win?

P¥$$Y!!! 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

So you chose hardy species route for the win?

P¥$$Y!!! 

Got me some of those fancy coral viewing goggles everyone is raging about too 

Screenshot_20190316-094014_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a15a15902b403223b14c5c4aa2ead886.jpg

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Got me some of those fancy coral viewing goggles everyone is raging about too 

Screenshot_20190316-094014_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a15a15902b403223b14c5c4aa2ead886.jpg

To think that I was regarding you as my biggest completion...... So disappointing. 

Im might just do it for a little fun and giggles then. 

13 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

To think that I was regarding you as my biggest completion...... So disappointing. 

Im might just do it for a little fun and giggles then. 

I'm torn between 2 stocking ideas . One is extremely simple while the other would be more challenging. Smarter people would probably pick a happy medium between the two but I tend to be pretty dumb 😂

A Little Blue
12 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I'm torn between 2 stocking ideas . One is extremely simple while the other would be more challenging. Smarter people would probably pick a happy medium between the two but I tend to be pretty dumb 😂

I want TO SEE YOU at your BEST!  So go for it. Wait till you see my Frankenstein setup. Lmao 

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
2 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Want some more before I throw the Scats in the tanks? I have some from Vietnam, Fiji, Indo and Tonga. miserable effing things, but the Scats think they're yummy.

46 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Want some more before I throw the Scats in the tanks? I have some from Vietnam, Fiji, Indo and Tonga. miserable effing things, but the Scats think they're yummy.

I'll take a scat for my 65, have a few nems I need gone 

StinkyBunny
6 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I'll take a scat for my 65, have a few nems I need gone 

Small ones are in season right now. Check with your LFS to see if they can get some. I love them, they'll pick an Aiptasia right out between zoanthid polyps without damaging them and they love GHA.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic