Coral Vue Hydros

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

skyscraper2290
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

Nanobox.................

and on a side note...........look what was waiting when I got home............

IMG_6622.jpg

If I was going all out on a PicO nanobox would be a no brained but keeping to a stricter budget on this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well I wanted to go all out in the janky department............wait till you see the light I think its a 20 watt bulb.........

I got one of those fancy fire flicker bulbs . For shimmer n stuff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm so freaking excited for this contest it's really biting into my attention span! Even though I have resisted posting (I can't help but be long-winded), I've been watching this thread blow up.:haha:

Depending upon the final rules, I may self-impose a species restriction lol. Aquarium keeping is my artistic outlet, and I really want to get "artsy" with this build.

Pulled a lot of old equipment out of some storage boxes, I think I've got a lot of stuff that'll be conducive to a very minimalist build. The downside is that the GF saw all the spare equipment I've been hoarding and now thinks "we" should have a spring-cleaning garage sale! 😅 She's a little miffed that I want to do yet another tank (we just set-up a 2.5 pico for her, ~3 days before this thread was started). But I offered to combine it with her tank once the contest is over into an upgraded 5-10 gallon system, and that got her excited (You'd just give me your corals?!).

Need to get my tank still, and inquire at the LFS if they can get my "secret ingredient" in!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

If I was going all out on a PicO nanobox would be a no brained but keeping to a stricter budget on this. 

I have a tide laying around somewhere......just need to figure out how I want to mount it.

5 minutes ago, spectra said:

I have a tide laying around somewhere......just need to figure out how I want to mount it.

Over the tank would be my preference but 🤷

• Haha 2
skyscraper2290
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

1st world problem for sure haha

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Partitioning off a small space with glass to improvise a drop off tank.... objections? Said cavity would be filled with air and contain no equipment. Rough mock up040B7335-33D1-4E42-86A8-FF3F26D07E8A.thumb.jpeg.78d91a74aabcee705afc604c1b895064.jpegE23C63F0-4699-4D6C-A4BD-4728AF2A6440.thumb.jpeg.09662d01f8b93a00b8017d3d84546eff.jpeg

I guess the only rule that could possibly prevent that is the prohibition on having a "dividing wall", but personally I feel like that should be allowed and a very creative idea!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, seabass said:

But this was found at the scene:

maba.jpg.4bc4a7b753a9c063b1fe21c63d1a777f.jpg

Not the best idea but at least your taxes would go down to %5 and no regulations. Especially on nano filtration or size. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I guess the only rule that could possibly prevent that is the prohibition on having a "dividing wall", but personally I feel like that should be allowed and a very creative idea!  

Probably won't be allowed due to it changing the visual aspect of the tank. 

CM worded it different but that's the basics of it 

A Little Blue
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well I wanted to go all out in the janky department............wait till you see the light I think its a 20 watt bulb.........

With 20 watts, I can only imagine amazing growth rate of that GHA and cherry size bubble algae. 

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Partitioning off a small space with glass to improvise a drop off tank.... objections? Said cavity would be filled with air and contain no equipment. Rough mock up040B7335-33D1-4E42-86A8-FF3F26D07E8A.thumb.jpeg.78d91a74aabcee705afc604c1b895064.jpegE23C63F0-4699-4D6C-A4BD-4728AF2A6440.thumb.jpeg.09662d01f8b93a00b8017d3d84546eff.jpeg

I thought about doing that but not allowed as it changes the tank shape

9 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Probably won't be allowed due to it changing the visual aspect of the tank. 

CM worded it different but that's the basics of it 

Yeah, I agree.  I had to go back and find CM's post buried in this now 33 page thread.  But he did say: "AIO dividers have been excluded because, while they do not increase the volume of the tank, they may change the 'view port' and tank footprint that is common amongst all competing tanks."

StinkyBunny

If you do derim the tanks, make damn sure you have a way to address any ratty edges. It would suck to keep getting cut all to hell every time you went into the tank to do anything.

• Like 1

Yeah, I de-rimmed a tank once before.  I never did use it.  I believe that I ended up throwing it out.

You have a vision of a nice rimless tank.

Image result for deep blue rimless

But afterwards, you just want to put the rim back on. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MainelyReefer
14 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you do derim the tanks, make damn sure you have a way to address any ratty edges. It would suck to keep getting cut all to hell every time you went into the tank to do anything.

Nice deep blue 45 degree edges

5F833B67-C1F9-45CE-AA76-6D6C17F0A5FC.thumb.jpeg.877e232b393b384c880309709e437ba2.jpeg

Cut yourself aqueon glass edge

F991BEFA-B8B3-4DA2-8A12-26DA7DE10B6D.thumb.jpeg.f2da0c4d4224049b852ee0f8a3486812.jpeg

• Like 3

Wish I could find deep blue here still :tears: I think they sold to marineland or something, maybe that means more people will end up carrying them? 

StinkyBunny
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Wish I could find deep blue here still :tears: I think they sold to marineland or something, maybe that means more people will end up carrying them? 

They restarted as Seapora @Tamberav not sure of the quality. They've gone under a number of times as have all of the older manufacturers. I miss my old Odell 240 gallon tank. they built one hell of an aquarium it had 22mm thick glass and weighed 700ish lbs empty.

2 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

So the princess just killed pico... i pushed it hard today. And got a pretty stern no.

I thought the re loading gear was the kicker though.................WTF happened..........

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

They restarted as Seapora @Tamberav not sure of the quality. They've gone under a number of times as have all of the older manufacturers. I miss my old Odell 240 gallon tank. they built one hell of an aquarium it had 22mm thick glass and weighed 700ish lbs empty.

I have the seapora. Seems pretty decent.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

So before I go grab some rock and get going, is there any rules stopping me curing rock in a bucket until the start date?

Thanks

Nope, that's totally ok . Just nothing in the actual tank

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic