Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

MainelyReefer
2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

You can get second hand quotes from verious forums on used equipment. For example: I got old Kessil 150 that is valued on second hand market between $100-140. 

I can’t even get 50$ for my Kessil a150🤣

righttirefire
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

You can get second hand quotes from verious forums on used equipment. For example: I got old Kessil 150 that is valued on second hand market between $100-140. 

I could support that.

A Little Blue
Just now, righttirefire said:

My LFS, 4 head acan $80. Trachy $125.

Not that I'd put those in the pico. But prices are going up. At least here. The last coral I bought was about 6 weeks ago. And im not sure I'll be buying anytime soon with the prices im seeing

20190216_170618.jpg

20190216_165541.jpg

Stay away from Indonesian corals (or corals from other shut down markets) and fancy LFS and you should be fine. 

I can get nice frags from few online vendors at $30 on avarage and about the same locally from fellow reefer (maybe a bit higher end species). 

1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

I can’t even get 50$ for my Kessil a150🤣

I know🤣 That’s why I kept it. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Stay away from Indonesian corals (or corals from other shut down markets) and fancy LFS and you should be fine. 

I can get nice frags from few online vendors at $30 on avarage and about the same locally from fellow reefer (maybe a bit higher end species). 

Ask @Sancho though.  He donated his Australian euphyllia to a lfs and a few months later, they sold him the exact frag back, in worse shape than he initially had it at a premium because they were now claiming it to be "indonesian"  

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
Just now, patback said:

Ask @Sancho though.  He donated his Australian euphyllia to a lfs and a few months later, they sold him the exact frag back, in worse shape than he initially had it at a premium because they were now claiming it to be "indonesian"  

Well, I call those shady LFS out notoriously. I mean out in the open on forums. Some reply most keep their mouth shut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I vote... Max 5g container....max 1g filter.... No other restrictions....go wild and see what people do.

Then just have votes like best over all...best budget tank....most diy savvy.... ect

You add too many rules and you lose creativity

• Like 6

I'm also a fan of not restricting contestants to a specific tank size/type, equipment and/or livestock, but maybe just limiting to either (i) a certain max number of gallons for display and max number of gallons for filtration, or (ii) a total max volume and the contestants can allocate between display and filtration as they see fit (personally I prefer the latter).

Adding a general theme or goal to this could make things more interesting/challenging as well (and that could be the equalizer), but that would also limit the overall diversity of entries as well.  

shaneandjohn
1 hour ago, patback said:

Okay. Drunk and order ready.  Someone lay out the rules once and for all so I can order everything right now before it's too late. 

Haha 😂  We are even considering this. I even stopped today at a LFS to see if they had the listed tank, but no such luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MainelyReefer

Just saw a standard 2.5g aqueon at a LFS... so ugly.  Now if the contest happens with a 2.5 I will have to drive to a LFS further away to go get the one made by deep blue with clean black silicone lines.  Like CM said though the standard 2.5 would be a great equalizer.  I also have a 3g mr. Aqua laying around and if something like that was allowed I feel it’s quality would be unfair if someone else could only afford a standard 2.5 for this reason I can see the benefit to forcing everyone to adhere to a single tank.  Free for all sounds fun though

• Like 2

If we do standardize on a 2.5G pico, maybe we might also include an Open class (4 total gallons or less), with a prize for best in each of the two classes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t be silly. I got 6”X12” GSP rock for $25 from fellow reefer (and can prove it 😉). You don’t need to shop at WWC to get nice coral. 

Stopped at a store on my way back to town they wanted 50 for a normal frag sized plug of gsp...  laughed good at that one 

• Haha 2

I too like the idea of two classes:

Standard 2.5g with some limit on filtration and other aspects

and an open class with 4 or 5 gallons or less and no other restriction.

• Like 1
shaneandjohn
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

I too like the idea of two classes:

Standard 2.5g with some limit on filtration and other aspects

and an open class with 4 or 5 gallons or less and no other restriction.

I bet there would be more entry’s for the open class though 😂 . My biggest obstacle on the standard 2.5 would be my wife, and how ugly of a little tank it is 🤣🤣 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

I bet there would be more entry’s for the open class though

If the top prize is for the best 2.5G, that might not be true.

Just now, shaneandjohn said:

I bet there would be more entry’s for the open class though 😂 . My biggest obstacle on the standard 2.5 would be my wife, and how ugly of a little tank it is 🤣🤣 

I bet you’re right!  Yeah, it’s ugly but it’s about the beauty on the inside, right?!  My wife is about aesthetics too but the bigger problem would be convincing her I needed ANOTHER tank! 🤣🤣🤪

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, seabass said:

If the top prize is for the best 2.5G, that might not be true.

I bet the top price is going to be a 5 gallon tank setup. 🤣

I think it needs to be 2.5 gallon. (Approx).

If we have various sizes I think we really loose focus of what the contest is at that point. If the tanks are bigger they are less novel for most of us, I assume lots already are rocking 5G tanks.

I would purchase or trade for a 2.5 gallon, ( I think my brother has them) heck I might even make one depending what the rules end up being.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

the bigger problem would be convincing her I needed ANOTHER tank

"Need" being the key word.  I'll vouch for you.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I think it needs to be 2.5 gallon. (Approx).

I agree.  The "open" class shouldn't exceed 3 gallons total volume.

• Like 2
shaneandjohn
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I bet you’re right!  Yeah, it’s ugly but it’s about the beauty on the inside, right?!  My wife is about aesthetics too but the bigger problem would be convincing her I needed ANOTHER tank! 🤣🤣🤪

I know right! My angle will be that I need a new little challenge, and help from her for livestock choices 😂

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, shaneandjohn said:

I know right! My angle will be that I need a new little challenge, and help from her for livestock choices 😂

I use the line “but this is something we can do together”...and then I get the eyeroll! But she really is supportive. She bought me my current 45 shallow set-up for my bday last year. I just wouldn’t get her to do anything with a contest as was mentioned as an idea at the beginning of the thread. 

2 hours ago, righttirefire said:

Shit the price of coral now a days that would be 2 pieces... lol

Yeah, where I am now I really don't have choices for where to get my livestock, so I pretty much have to order online. Shipping would eat up a lot of any budget.

I say restrict tank/equipment OR restrict livestock.

• Like 1
shaneandjohn
17 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I use the line “but this is something we can do together”...and then I get the eyeroll! But she really is supportive. She bought me my current 45 shallow set-up for my bday last year. I just wouldn’t get her to do anything with a contest as was mentioned as an idea at the beginning of the thread. 

My wife is very supportive as well, and honestly never gives me any grief. Her only requirements are that everything must be aesthetically appealing, and limited power cords in view. I have managed thus far to keep momma happy 😁

My adult son John, well he is a pusher as well as an enabler. He was the one who pointed out this thread, and started with suggestions!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
shaneandjohn
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Yeah, where I am now I really don't have choices for where to get my livestock, so I pretty much have to order online. Shipping would eat up a lot of any budget.

I say restrict tank/equipment OR restrict livestock.

Please don’t restrict livestock, I already have a beautiful Gem Tang picked out 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic