Cultivated Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

13 hours ago, patback said:

Spouse tanks.  No help from nanoreef users. 

It's a cool idea in theory, but there's no way I could get Nick in on this. 😂

12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Some good points made!

I think we can level the playing field with equipment.

I think a rage for each equipment type plus cap on equipment cost would be the best equalizer. 

Like, tank 1-4 gallons, light under $100... 

This means people can use extra equipment they have lying around, but also not go crazy beefing everything up. 

But that also depends on the "goal" of the contest. The last goal was to have the most creative container. 

What would be the goal for this one?

• Like 1

I wouldnt mind seeing more canisters tbh just because it isn't something often explored.

Also I like letting people be flexible and diy AIOs ect... I love too see creativity everyone comes up with. 

• Like 4
MainelyReefer
2 hours ago, wetsocks said:

I should clarify I'm not against canisters if the 0.5 gallon limit is lifted from the H.O.B.

There are canisters that are under .5g like the sun sun 602b which I have had lying around since last year when I was going to add it to my reefbowl but flaked out.  This is the canister I would run.  Technically we could allow them within a range, however I wouldn’t be opposed to the allowance of larger filters regardless of type, I just don’t think added water equates to added success. Here you can see it didn’t take much of the gallon to fill the little canister and that’s without media. D8355388-8745-456A-A9E0-8CF9076F177A.thumb.jpeg.8294542ceca6555f4825c0be807e51d8.jpeg

• Like 2
righttirefire
6 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Does it have to be glass?

Id think not if it fit the basic dimension and you already had it or couldnt reasonably obtain a glass one.

This guy is extra salty
20 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

Id think not if it fit the basic dimension and you already had it or couldnt reasonably obtain a glass one.

I’d rather build my own lol

• Like 1
Frag Factory

I'd love to enter but getting a 12*6*8 tank in the UK would mean getting one custom built and likely to cost much more than a larger tank I can grab off the shelf. 

We can get 12*8*8 with a quick Google search though?

It would be cool to limit the volume of the aquarium but not force fixed size. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

My other question is the TSV have to be 2.5 gallon? or just the display?

I believe we are just throwing around ideas right now.  It seems likely that we'll be using a standard 2.5 gallon pico, with additional volume (if any) provided by an approved external filter; but that might even be subject to change.  What's your preference?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I’d rather build my own lol 

That's an interesting idea.  It'd be interesting to make the only restriction being what you could build with a 24" x 24" sheet of acrylic or glass (or four 12" x 12" sheets).

• Like 1

I think using what we all have lying around is a good basis, not having to buy much and working with what you have or diy can really make things interesting.

(I'm sure most of us have a bunch of stuff)

• Like 2
Tom@HaslettMI

I enjoyed the last contest. 

I’m not a fan of forcing folks to use a specific tank or tank volume. I would prefer either a range or max volume (e.g, 5 gallons).  The other criteria I’m less concerned about. 

Tom

• Like 2
Frag Factory

What about doing it like the original pico contest, with a custom class where anything goes and a more standard class using widely available equipment.

I remember following along Tigahboys build long before I joined here. I loved it, that tank stood out in my head for a long time.

• Like 3

Okay. Drunk and order ready.  Someone lay out the rules once and for all so I can order everything right now before it's too late. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
3 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

What about doing it like the original pico contest, with a custom class where anything goes and a more standard class using widely available equipment.

I remember following along Tigahboys build long before I joined here. I loved it, that tank stood out in my head for a long time.

:)  That original pico contest felt like an eternity ago.  Good times tho.  

I'd be interested in doing the contest this round (in whatever shape/form it ends up taking).  

• Like 3
A Little Blue

Simple rules: 2-5gallons max $400 gear/tank budget (including second hand deals). No filtration option restriction (various approaches makes it more interesting). 

$200 max in livestock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
righttirefire
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Simple rules: 2-5gallons max $400 gear/tank budget (including second hand deals). No filtration option restriction (various approaches makes it more interesting). 

$200 max in livestock. 

Shit the price of coral now a days that would be 2 pieces... lol

• Like 1
righttirefire
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

$200 max in livestock. 

I think the $400 tank/gear runs into complications for us with extra equipment. My nanobox tide, tunze 3155, and Ac50 would be pushing that number without a tank. And thats all stuff i have in a box in the garage. How do you value stuff laying around?

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, righttirefire said:

Shit the price of coral now a days that would be 2 pieces... lol

Don’t be silly. I got 6”X12” GSP rock for $25 from fellow reefer (and can prove it 😉). You don’t need to shop at WWC to get nice coral. 

A Little Blue
Just now, righttirefire said:

I think the $400 tank/gear runs into complications for us with extra equipment. My nanobox tide, tunze 3155, and Ac50 would be pushing that number without a tank. And thats all stuff i have in a box in the garage. How do you value stuff laying around?

You can get second hand quotes from verious forums on used equipment. For example: I got old Kessil 150 that is valued on second hand market between $100-140. 

• Like 1
righttirefire
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Don’t be silly. I got 6”X12” GSP rock for $25 from fellow reefer (and can prove it 😉). You don’t need to shop at WWC to get nice coral. 

My LFS, 4 head acan $80. Trachy $125.

Not that I'd put those in the pico. But prices are going up. At least here. The last coral I bought was about 6 weeks ago. And im not sure I'll be buying anytime soon with the prices im seeing

20190216_170618.jpg

20190216_165541.jpg

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic