Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I don’t care what method you use as long as you can show a long term success. If you want me to set up a sh$ty setup just for a SHOW for period of 6 months ......, sure, I could do that. But what is the point? Please explain? 

I could do “bonsai” theme or other crap but what does it really accomplish? Any Joe blow can set up a tank to run for 6 months. Anyone can set up a tank that will look have way decent for avarage guy or a gal. But make it a success story within size restrains and long term is quite a challenge. So don’t tell me what do I have to do to make it work, bc I do. If you are setting up a bs tank, well, that’s exactly what it is. But I won’t be part of your delusion. 

No idea where all of that is coming from

LOL

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Underworld2.0 said:

So can I start buying stuff for this or do I have to wait till start date ?

I would hold off buying until an official contest thread is started, but by all means, go ahead and start researching equipment so you're ready. 

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

LOL

Riiiight... ?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Yeah @Tamberav ! 

:lol:

:happydance:

FINE! I guess you can use that tank too. I hear this is the sexy brand so kind of want to see what it's all about.

A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

LOL

Don’t take it to your heart. I am on vaca drunk like a MF and typing sh@t out in random. I don’t even think that I’ll participate in this circus. 🤣

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

FINE! I guess you can use that tank too. I hear this is the sexy brand so kind of want to see what it's all about.

You will not be disappoint 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, here are the proposed contest tank rules! 👏

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic. (We can outline various known tank options that comply)

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

Any Lighting

Any Livestock

Limited Equipment Choices (Use all or none)

• 1x Hang on back filter (total water volume no greater than .5 gal)
  • 1x Powerhead circulation pump
  • 1x Internal submersible filter pump
  • 1x Aquarium Heater
  • 1x Air pump and air line tubing

Optional Allowed Equipment

• Lid, cover or screen (Recommended)
  • Automatic top-off and/or dosing system
  • Aquarium controller, temperature controller, power strips, timers, etc.
  • Media baskets
  • Surface skimmer modifications

Disallowed Equipment

• External sumps or plumbing
  • AIO Inserts or dividing walls
  • Protein Skimmers
  • Reactors
  • Canister filters

🏆 As for the competition aspect, I think we should decide on a few, perhaps just 3, categories by which we will choose winners. In this competition everyone starts with a similar canvas and gear selection. Some ideas to start...

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best System Design
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

Let's brainstorm more ideas for our top 3! 🌩

Proposed competition dates March 31st - September 30th. What if we did 7 months instead, ending October 31st or Nov 1st?

Well lets get this nailed down..............its Friday the steaks are on the grill and drinking beer........perfect time for me to order online while I am vulnerable........

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t take it to your heart. I am on vaca drunk like a MF and typing sh@t out in random. I don’t even think that I’ll participate in this circus. 🤣

Hey this circus needs more 🤡 A thread full isn't enough! 

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Sure it will be my only issue I want black silicone............

MainelyReefer
21 minutes ago, spectra said:

Deep Blue is no more though......must be old stock there selling off.

Exactly that’s why I’m having trouble finding the lid which is also superior to the aqueon one I had to buy, biggest difference is the clear handle with the deep blue one, the aqueon handle is black.  I ordered the deep blue lid on amazon but is says it won’t be here until March 27th-april 17th and it’s not shipped yet so I’m not confident they will follow through. A LFS told me they can order one if it falls through though(off their supplier who has stock)

• Like 1
A Little Blue
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Hey this circus needs more 🤡 A thread full isn't enough! 

There is never enough clowns in this hobby. And even more dummies that know it all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would like to enter this contest as well.  Is it safe to assume we will be able to use the cheaper 2 1/2 gal tank, that one is right in my budget.  I think I have an old filter, heater, spare rock, and things that can be fragged out of my tank.  Is there a list of what hob holds less than a half gal or do we just add water to see.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
34 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I would like to enter this contest as well.  Is it safe to assume we will be able to use the cheaper 2 1/2 gal tank, that one is right in my budget.  I think I have an old filter, heater, spare rock, and things that can be fragged out of my tank.  Is there a list of what hob holds less than a half gal or do we just add water to see.

I think it’s safe to say that the standard 2.5g tank will meet contest requirements.  I think earlier in the thread the aqua clear 20, 30, and 50 were presented as suitable options plus they have available Intank media baskets.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty

Option A: use existing tank that is part of equipment tower.(14x7.5x8.75) 3.977g

falls within restriction of additional “2in” give or take a quarter inch lol

81BB5285-D3C7-4644-BCF3-E29D3490F1A6.thumb.jpeg.05bfbcbfe98ea5617720b36fce643b57.jpeg5A646E91-8F6E-4969-9523-6F670068969E.thumb.jpeg.6d60c093bfa58a6dedf754e0b08f7a2d.jpegCE5B4A0F-DEEE-463A-B807-72AC6EE8911A.thumb.jpeg.3aa196b0a9ecbd76b95876459b7c5b1d.jpeg

Or

option B: forcing me to build a complete new one...😭

Sorry I’m just poor and can’t afford to be spending monies. (nasty divorce)

52 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Option A: use existing tank that is part of equipment tower.(14x7.5x8.75) 3.977g

falls within restriction of additional “2in” give or take a quarter inch lol

81BB5285-D3C7-4644-BCF3-E29D3490F1A6.thumb.jpeg.05bfbcbfe98ea5617720b36fce643b57.jpeg5A646E91-8F6E-4969-9523-6F670068969E.thumb.jpeg.6d60c093bfa58a6dedf754e0b08f7a2d.jpegCE5B4A0F-DEEE-463A-B807-72AC6EE8911A.thumb.jpeg.3aa196b0a9ecbd76b95876459b7c5b1d.jpeg

Or

option B: forcing me to build a complete new one...😭

Sorry I’m just poor and can’t afford to be spending monies. (nasty divorce)

Per Chris' post the max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

• Thanks 1

@Christopher Marks proposed rules look good to me.  But hopefully we can get firm confirmation whether or not the 3g UNS tank or the 2.6g Aquamaxx tank would be OK for those of us who want to enter a rimless tank.

Also, would the proposed rules allow for the follow:

1. Mods to the HOB; 

2. Running the one powerhead external to the tank which would require a little plumbing and/or making holes in the tank?

Thanks!  Looking forward to this!

3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@Christopher Marks proposed rules look good to me.  But hopefully we can get firm confirmation whether or not the 3g UNS tank or the 2.6g Aquamaxx tank would be OK for those of us who want to enter a rimless tank.

Also, would the proposed rules allow for the follow:

1. Mods to the HOB; 

2. Running the one powerhead external to the tank which would require a little plumbing and/or making holes in the tank?

Thanks!  Looking forward to this!

I think the 3 gal was said to be ok  ? Hell hopefully it is :lol: otherwise I have a 3 gallon UNS tank for nothing............ ALA Order #9256 confirmed

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

I think the 3 gal was said to be ok  ? Hell hopefully it is :lol: otherwise I have a 3 gallon UNS tank for nothing............ ALA Order #9256 confirmed

I guess I'm not clear if CM's rules have been finalized yet (or still work in progress), so I'm just hoping he can weigh in before I buy mine as well. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

8 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I guess I'm not clear if CM's rules have been finalized yet (or still work in progress), so I'm just hoping he can weigh in before I buy mine as well. 🙂

Now the problem is, if ya'll are going fancy, I can't help but feel like the odd one out with my $10 cheap standard 2.5 gallon. 

It *is* a cheap tank, the silicone is a little wonky in some places, and the glass is nowhere near "low-iron" quality. But I think the whole idea Chris had from the beginning was to standardize the tank. Polar opposite from the last contest where very few people used the same container. 

And yeah, I agree rimless tanks usually look better, but I gotta have a lid to keep the cat out!

• Like 4
righttirefire

I think the princess authorized a 2.5 gal rimmed tank. Will confirm tomorrow at Petco getting dog food. Im trying to make this her tank... 

Here we go yellow clown goby and pulsing xenia

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Sounds like a sump to me...? I believe that was ruled out.

5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Sounds like a sump to me...? I believe that was ruled out.

I'm really talking about a closed loop, so it wouldn't be a sump.  I guess no one does closed loops anymore because of how low profile powerheads have become, but some old timers used to use closed loops for circulation.  

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Now the problem is, if ya'll are going fancy, I can't help but feel like the odd one out with my $10 cheap standard 2.5 gallon. 

It *is* a cheap tank, the silicone is a little wonky in some places, and the glass is nowhere near "low-iron" quality. But I think the whole idea Chris had from the beginning was to standardize the tank. Polar opposite from the last contest where very few people used the same container. 

And yeah, I agree rimless tanks usually look better, but I gotta have a lid to keep the cat out!

Hey no fancy I just want no plastic on the top.......

Martha Stewart would be proud :lol:

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I think the princess authorized a 2.5 gal rimmed tank. Will confirm tomorrow at Petco getting dog food. Im trying to make this her tank... 

Here we go yellow clown goby and pulsing xenia

Shouldn't give away all your stocking secrets so early in the game.  

• Haha 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic