SaltCritters.com

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

How are you increasing the water volume with a doser?

I'm just saying that a constant water change with a large water storage container (or another tank system) shouldn't be allowed.  However, it doesn't sound like you are planning that.

MainelyReefer
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm just saying that a constant water change with a large water storage container (or another tank system) shouldn't be allowed.  However, it doesn't sound like you are planning that.

If water change is allowed than I don’t know what the issue would be. Makes no difference if do 200ml WC daily by hand or automated. You can deduct points for being lazy but ad few for trying my best to keep my tank alive and well. Lol 

17 minutes ago, Friendly said:

For the categories, you could even break them up into sub-categories with budgets assigned to them, if budgets are created.

You keep suggesting more categories but usually there would be just 3-4 depending on how many sponsors/prizes there are. 

MainelyReefer
4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

it's so stupid that this kind of product even exists...  /me slaps forehead

Out of curiosity I was searching 10x10x6 aquarium as that changed two parameters by 2” as outlined to see what someone may find and that aquarium ornament came up, it was too funny not to share but imagine the creep who really has that in their aquarium

Christopher Marks
28 minutes ago, Friendly said:

my concerns:

1) why limit the tank dimensions...2.5 gallons is 2.5 gallons. as long as it's an official aquarium and not a 'container', I don't see that it should matter.

2) if you can use almost any sort of equipment imaginable, like ATO's and dosing, why are sumps/external filters being excluded?

3) no budget guidelines?

Part of the competition is competing with the same volume of water across the board. Aside from hang on back filters, anything else introduces the opportunity to greatly increase the system's water volume. Tank volume will be the one equalizing factor amongst all entries.

AIO dividers have been excluded because, while they do not increase the volume of the tank, they may change the 'view port' and tank footprint that is common amongst all competing tanks.

Budget restrictions are too difficult to track, follow, and manage. We're not going to pursue that angle.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

You keep suggesting more categories but usually there would be just 3-4 depending on how many sponsors/prizes there are. 

that's true, but it's unlikely that someone with a $50 budget to use for the contest will be able to stand up against someone that can dump $1000 into the gear used for their contest entry. so it just makes sense to me to have a KISS and complicated prize for each category.  🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Yeah @spectra who asked you :lol:

I'm with @Grundler on wondering what the competition will actually be. Those details are what I keep coming back hoping to see so I can decide if I want to join or not. 

Hey pipe down mr shoebox :tongueout:

I am thinking a nice 4 gallon rimless with a SE 400 watt MH :unsure:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Part of the competition is competing with the same volume of water across the board. Aside from hang on back filters, anything else introduces the opportunity to greatly increase the system's water volume. Tank volume will be the one equalizing factor amongst all entries.

AIO dividers have been excluded because, while they do not increase the volume of the tank, they may change the 'view port' and tank footprint that is common amongst all competing tanks.

Budget restrictions are too difficult to track, follow, and manage. We're not going to pursue that angle.

I can dig the rule about sump...but if there is a .5 gallon canister filter available, that should not be limited.

and I understand the thought about not being able to enforce a budget...but I think the NR community is pretty honest and will be honest about their entries and equipment they're using, so don't feel it should be tossed out of hand. perhaps just make a fair cap that you can't use equipment totaling more than $500, with the KISS method being encouraged.

coming down to it...this is what I would prefer myself.

any tank as long as it's less than 5 gallons

any filter (hob / internal / canister) as long as the maximum water volume does not exceed 5 gallons with the tank

then have 5 categories based on 5 tank volume options and have a prize for best KISS and Complicated entries.

break the definition into best with considerations like nicest aquascape, most color, array/blending of colors, concept/mission statement, long-term viability/sustainability, variety (most species of coral/nems/macros, inverts, & livestock)

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Basically. If I chose to participate I would like to integrate both dosing/water change in one shot with elevated Ca/Mg/Alk salt mix. Does it make sense? 

Also, can I get away with slightly bigger hang on the back filter to accommodate heater to make inside the box a little cleaner and less obstructive? 

That is clever. Competition heating up lol.

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Friendly said:

it's so stupid that this kind of product even exists...  /me slaps forehead

Me: slaps forehead

Also me: furiously clicking buy now

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I can dig the rule about sump...but if there is a .5 gallon canister filter available, that should not be limited.

and I understand the thought about not being able to enforce a budget...but I think the NR community is pretty honest and will be honest about their entries and equipment they're using, so don't feel it should be tossed out of hand. perhaps just make a fair cap that you can't use equipment totaling more than $500, with the KISS method being encouraged.

coming down to it...this is what I would prefer myself.

any tank as long as it's less than 5 gallons

any filter (hob / internal / canister) as long as the maximum water volume does not exceed 5 gallons with the tank

then have 5 categories based on 5 tank volume options and have a prize for best KISS and Complicated entries.

then break up how' best' is to be defined with checkbox considerations like:

- concept/mission statement

- nicest aquascape

- most color, array/blending of colors and design/layout

- long-term viability/sustainability

- variety (most species of coral/nems/macros, inverts, & livestock)

This guy is extra salty

So 

47 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

So for instance this wouldn’t be allowed 

even if the dimensions are 12x6x8?61F473A1-77F9-4F9E-865A-F46A81212A71.thumb.jpeg.9bf03e4747666403ff2efa9f82be5f95.jpeg

it was built as a complete not an insert 

it does fall under the category of AIO

but the display is 10x6x8 that would be a short coming on my part since I’m losing 2 in for filtration 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
13 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I am going to use the 2.5 gallon display as a sump, put the coral in the HOB.

You win, I was thinking of Taking the tank everywhere with me for 6 months008EB611-1983-4AB5-A7BC-94B62F65AB54.gif.9a9669908e38453e138c2fe6aa87fce5.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I like the idea of the contest lasting 7 months. With that I also think that a cut off date for adding livestock could work. Maybe at the end of 5 months. So the tank has to be life sustaining. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

If water change is allowed than I don’t know what the issue would be.

No issue.  I'm not sure why you keep asking about it.

Like @Tamberav stated, a continuous water change with a large amount of water could be considered a work around to the 2.5 gallon restriction.  If that's not your intent, then no problem automating something that you would normally do manually.

• Like 1

Ya they could be set up continuously or every 6 hours or schedules people don't do manually normally which basically makes it not really 2.5g challenge anymore.

Ok been looking there are a few decent rimless small tanks out there........one thing that I like about this is a gallon water change sure does beat 40 gallons......

Just waiting to see what the rules are and go from there.......

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic