Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

40 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

After how much you have contributed up in here, there's a chance you won't enter???

Yeah, I'm not sure yet.  I'll be following it either way.  I'd say there's a 60% chance I'll enter.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Being that it's a contest though, there should be rules in place - what you're suggesting is just "set up a pico tank".

A contest needs a challenge as well as have a level playing field for all participants. 

I'm agreeable to anything...but 'setting up a pico tank' and winning a prize cause it's chosen out of others would still make a contest.  :tongueout:

when it comes down to it there is only two things I really want...

1) if a specific tank is chosen, please make it rimless.

2) if specific hardware is chosen, make sure it or something equivalent, has global access.

9 minutes ago, Friendly said:

if a specific tank is chosen, please make it rimless.

It really looks like a standard 2.5 gallon aquarium (12" x 6" x 8") will be chosen.  Here's a close rimless version:

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_2.6_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Under_10_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94552-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html

AquaMaxx-Long-Cuboid-Low-Iron-Rimless-Aq

It's 11.9" x 7.1" x 7.1" (2.6 Gallons), which I would think might be acceptable.  Although the majority of the contestants won't be buying a $55 tank.  Not sure what's available in Canada either, but I'd think you'd have access to something close.

• Like 2

Canada is pretty bad for access to tanks...one reseller used to deal with Aquamaxx, not sure anymore...another has a few options from Mr. Aqua and a few from Seaspora and Hydra and there may be limited access to ADA and their budget brand, which I forget the name of at the moment.

shipping equipment from the US isn't too bad, but shipping tanks is a fortune and it's likely to be busted up once received. 

I do know we can get the Aqueon 2.5 gallon from AquariumDepot.ca for $25.00 CAD.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Being that it's a contest though, there should be rules in place - what you're suggesting is just "set up a pico tank".

A contest needs a challenge as well as have a level playing field for all participants.

Agreed! There are a lot of creative ideas that might not fit into this contest format, but should still be explored. Maybe they just need an excuse to set up a cool new tank! 😂

I am exploring the concept that we did in 2005, a 'stock' category and a 'custom' category. Stock would have some standardized equipment while custom would specify the volume but allow for sumps and other customizations. Personally I'd like to stick with just a single 'stock tank' with select equipment options, and disallow external plumbing or major customizations, but I can be swayed. We did both categories back in the day so everyone had an option.

Check out the old announcement from 2005:

how about the following:

- $200 budget for tank and all accessories (if existing equipment is used, 75% of current cost must be used against budget)

- must be a tank (since last one was can't be a tank)

- maximum volume up to 5 gallons (excluding filter volume, that would get too complicated to calculate and police)

- internal or hob filters only

- no sumps (grumble grumble grumble)

- no limits on lighting aside from constraints caused by budget

Christopher Marks

Ok, one last thought...

If we stick to 2.5 gallon tanks, approximately 12x6x8" in dimension, and allow a select list of equipment only (choose any hob filter, powerhead, air pump, heater), how would everyone feel about allowing the choice of classic black rim tank, or something rimless and similarly dimensioned? Everyone would have the same basic parameters and tank dimensions, but some people could invest more in a rimless tank. Is that fair or unfair? It's what's inside the tank that really matters, but rimless tanks do add some bling 🤑.

Thanks for thinking it through with me! We want to be sure to cast a wide net and get lots of members to join in, but not to too broad that they're just a random collection of different tanks.

• Like 6
This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

how about the following:

- $200 budget for tank and all accessories (if existing equipment is used, 75% of current cost must be used against budget)

- must be a tank (since last one was can't be a tank)

- maximum volume up to 5 gallons (excluding filter volume, that would get too complicated to calculate and police)

- internal or hob filters only

- no sumps (grumble grumble grumble)

- no limits on lighting aside from constraints caused by budget

I like this no sumps 

im drawing up my AIO in cad right now 

maximum of 5g? Or sticking between 2.5-5? 

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, one last thought...

If we stick to 2.5 gallon tanks, approximately 12x6x8" in dimension, and allow a select list of equipment only (choose any hob filter, powerhead, air pump, heater), how would everyone feel about allowing the choice of classic black rim tank, or something rimless and similarly dimensioned? Everyone would have the same basic parameters and tank dimensions, but some people could invest more in a rimless tank. Is that fair or unfair? It's what's inside the tank that really matters, but rimless tanks do add some bling 🤑.

Thanks for thinking it through with me! We want to be sure to cast a wide net and get lots of members to join in, but not to too broad that they're just a random collection of different tanks.

hey Chris, I think it would just be better that you specify an exact volume that can be used so contestants can buy whatever they do have access too. that add's a bit of variety. and if you want to avoid just having tanks, make some categories/themes that can be entered specifically.

This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, one last thought...

Just stick with a standardized gallonage or dimension and I’m golden 

lay out the rules!! Lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

If we stick to 2.5 gallon tanks, approximately 12x6x8" in dimension, and allow a select list of equipment only (choose any hob filter, powerhead, air pump, heater), how would everyone feel about allowing the choice of classic black rim tank, or something rimless and similarly dimensioned? Everyone would have the same basic parameters and tank dimensions, but some people could invest more in a rimless tank. Is that fair or unfair?

Sounds fair to me.

14 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Well said @seabass, I absolutely agree.

Ok, it seems to me that 12x6x8" tanks can be found here in the US without too much trouble, usually. Locally at some retailers or even through the web. It's not the best tank by a long shot, but it's still way cheaper compared to pretty much any other tank of this size. It's a commodity product as cheap as $10, albeit a little more scarce than years ago. However, many people will might have one laying around too, or could ask a local aquarium club for help finding one.

For our international members, it may not be possible to send potential prize winnings, but if you want to join in, finding a similar tank will be key. It sounds like in the UK a common size was 12" x 8" x 8" but otherwise the same construction and style. I think we could accommodate these tanks. They are about 3 gallons. Have others been able to find a similarly built tank in their country? Canada, Australia?

Is it approximately 30.5 x 15 x 20cm? Glass with black plastic rim? Where did you find it?

Hit and miss here in Cda. 

I have only seen them at big Al's(will depend on Province and city to city).

Most mom and pop shops are gone here, Reef stores only sell evo's, IM, Red Sea. No more framed tanks.

I have the 1.5g that's similar to the 2.5g for the contest.

Its 12 x 6.5 x 6.5 

7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

We could have an international category for voting, that way they at least get bragging rights. I don't think postage for a standard envelope is much more than a dollar or two. I wonder if there's a vendor willing or able to mail out a small sticker pack to an international winner?

If the winner would pay shipping costs, most prizes(dry goods) can be shipped if the vendor is willing.

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

Canada is pretty bad for access to tanks...one reseller used to deal with Aquamaxx, not sure anymore...another has a few options from Mr. Aqua and a few from Seaspora and Hydra and there may be limited access to ADA and their budget brand, which I forget the name of at the moment.

shipping equipment from the US isn't too bad, but shipping tanks is a fortune and it's likely to be busted up once received. 

I do know we can get the Aqueon 2.5 gallon from AquariumDepot.ca for $25.00 CAD.

No kidding. 

Took me 2 months to get my lagoon. Only 1 store sold that.

Had a hard time finding a small tank for my betta. Spending $50 on a plastic 2g seemed ridiculous to me. Lol

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have the 1.5g that's similar to the 2.5g for the contest.  Its 12 x 6.5 x 6.5 

That sounds close enough to me.  However, I get 2.2 gallons for the volume.

MainelyReefer

One thing to think about is lids.  Almost everyone ran a lid last contest to help with evaporation. The CCC(creative container contest) forced a proven husbandry technique on its participants.  I fear we are all sitting here with little knowledge about the viability of the systems we are proposing.  This is why I plan on mimicking the last contest in regard to system design. It’s proven and cheap. The 2.5g has an available glass lid($6 too so it’s cheap), this may not be viable with most people’s planned setup though.  Rimless tanks have no cheap/readily available lids to reduce evaporation, for this reason everyone’s proposal of equipment limitations via financial caps might be overviewing that an ATO will be needed for sumped, AIOs, and probably a tank running topless with HOB.  Personally I don’t care if rimless were allowed, but if we are to go that route previously mentioned equipment limits may need to be loosened to allow a proper setup.  I will not join if there are light limits.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Perhaps the contest should be Recycled Reefs.  Only containers allowed are recycled vessels, all other parameters are open. 

3 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Perhaps the contest should be Recycled Reefs.  Only containers allowed are recycled vessels, all other parameters are open. 

that wouldn't work for first timers like myself...who have nothing.

7 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

image.jpeg.1ebaab8b179824d24487956c055b08c8.jpeg
This is what I wish I would have done for the creative container contest.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
MainelyReefer
13 minutes ago, Friendly said:

that wouldn't work for first timers like myself...who have nothing.

I meant actual recyclings.  Reuse before you recycle you know?  I imagine we would have a lot of liquor bottles as those come in an array of options and it would be fun to make it an empty recycled bottle.

3 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I meant actual recyclings.  Reuse before you recycle you know?  I imagine we would have a lot of liquor bottles as those come in an array of options and it would be fun to make it an empty recycled bottle.

ahhh...that wouldn't work so well up here in Canada as we don't have the array of brands/products you do down in the US. very slim pickings...like next to nothing.  😞 

A Little Blue

%99 sure I won’t participate but I’ll be curious and I’ll check it out. Good luck to all participants. 

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

If we stick to 2.5 gallon tanks, approximately 12x6x8" in dimension, and allow a select list of equipment only (choose any hob filter, powerhead, air pump, heater), how would everyone feel about allowing the choice of classic black rim tank, or something rimless and similarly dimensioned?

I think this is a good idea. Those that want the rim for a lid can use it, those that want to go rimless have the option as well. 

Since you usually announce the contest a bit before it starts, there can be a "tank acquiring" period. Those who need to can find an alternative tank with similar dimentions and have it approved for use. No one can get wet until the start date, we'll be given a phrase to write on a piece of paper before we start. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Hamster bottle as ato is cheap :p. 

I tried that once and could not get it to work. Can you point me in the direction of a how to?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic