Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

For me costs dictate what contests I can participate in.  My seahorses are a $ hog so I would love to participate if it is not cost prohibitive.  That is why I liked the idea of a 2.5 gallon tank.  I would run it very simple and probable utilize whatever I can find in my fish room.  I just love the fun competitive spirit and the comraderie!

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya I would love to see international people join in the fun. I feel we have a lot of people who get left out. 

I'd love to join this one but honestly don't want to spend $30+ for the tank, I have too many sitting around already. Lol. 

I just wanted to add that I totally get standardizing on one tank.  Visually it lets you compare and contrast, and it helps the contestants draw upon the others to improve their own tanks, and it would be a dramatic statement about the viability of said tank.  Also, it would be nice if we could make 12 x 8 x 8 tanks acceptable for our UK members.  It wouldn't affect prize winners as international contestants aren't eligible to win prizes.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I can only find 10 Liter tanks.

Where are you located?  That's awfully close (about 2.6 gallons).  What are the dimensions in inches?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, seabass said:

Where are you located?  That's awfully close (about 2.6 gallons).  What are the dimensions in inches?

Whoosh!

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't know, that 0.1g might be an advantage when it comes to stability. Not sure it would be allowed 🤔

• Haha 2
Underworld2.0

Count me in 110% 

I think this great ! Super stoked 

Let's show the world an affordable nano/pico reef can be had and flourish! 

Christopher Marks
11 hours ago, seabass said:

I just wanted to add that I totally get standardizing on one tank.  Visually it lets you compare and contrast, and it helps the contestants draw upon the others to improve their own tanks, and it would be a dramatic statement about the viability of said tank

Well said @seabass, I absolutely agree.

Ok, it seems to me that 12x6x8" tanks can be found here in the US without too much trouble, usually. Locally at some retailers or even through the web. It's not the best tank by a long shot, but it's still way cheaper compared to pretty much any other tank of this size. It's a commodity product as cheap as $10, albeit a little more scarce than years ago. However, many people will might have one laying around too, or could ask a local aquarium club for help finding one.

For our international members, it may not be possible to send potential prize winnings, but if you want to join in, finding a similar tank will be key. It sounds like in the UK a common size was 12" x 8" x 8" but otherwise the same construction and style. I think we could accommodate these tanks. They are about 3 gallons. Have others been able to find a similarly built tank in their country? Canada, Australia?

6 hours ago, wetsocks said:

I can only find 10 Liter tanks.

Is it approximately 30.5 x 15 x 20cm? Glass with black plastic rim? Where did you find it?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

For our international members, it may not be possible to send potential prize winnings, but if you want to join in, finding a similar tank will be key.

We could have an international category for voting, that way they at least get bragging rights. I don't think postage for a standard envelope is much more than a dollar or two. I wonder if there's a vendor willing or able to mail out a small sticker pack to an international winner?

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

We could have an international category for voting, that way they at least get bragging rights. I don't think postage for a standard envelope is much more than a dollar or two. I wonder if there's a vendor willing or able to mail out a small sticker pack to an international winner?

Or amazon gift card or something 

• Like 2

IDK if @Christopher Marks would like to use any of these pics or logos during the contest, but I decided to change TWO and a half MINI to TWO and a half GALS.  Seemed a better fit based on the original title and contest theme.  I used MINI first, because I could edit MEN into MINI without redoing everything.

twogalsjudith.jpg.309c096f726bb30741326e307867676e.jpg

• Haha 1

I have no idea how I missed this thread until now!!!  :sideeyes:

I'm thinking perhaps we should choose a maximum volume, no budget and amend the rules for the winner to be chosen on the creativity and merits of contestant tanks entered, not just because someone could spend $2000 and out-tech'd everyone to success.

based on that, I suggest the a maximum volume of 6 gallons for all the equipment used.

I say 6 gallons as if you Google Nano Reefs and Pico Reefs, there's a nice starter article that confronts the definitions and postulates that pico's are anything 6 gallons and less and that from 6 gallons to 36 gallons (something in the mid-30's) is a nano. I agree to agree with that.

this way, I can make a pico with a sump!  :coolguy:

• Like 1

perhaps a few polls can be made to gauge the parameters desired by everyone.

one poll to get preferences for the size of the tank to be used

one poll to see what budget limits should or should not be placed

one poll to see if everyone should use the same light or have open choice

- by same light, I mean something like the ABI Tuna Blue, or Coral Compulsion or another affordable and reasonable solution off the likes of Amazon

I personally would love a higher volume and then make a system with a sump!  😄 

• Like 2

I agree, I wouldn't want to rule out external sumps (even though I probably wouldn't set one up, assuming that I'll enter).  However, I think we should limit external sumps to something no larger than the display (2.5 gals).

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I agree, I wouldn't want to rule out external sumps (even though I probably wouldn't set one up, assuming that I'll enter).  However, I think we should limit external sumps to something no larger than the display (2.5 gals).

After how much you have contributed up in here, there's a chance you won't enter???  

• Haha 2

the last pico contest had quite a few rules/limitations placed, so how about the opposite this time?

therefore I postulate we do the following:

1) create a poll to see what the NR community thinks the maximum volume of a pico reef should defined as

- I consider this is fair as the NR community are the experts on small reefing!

2) run a poll to choose the maximum volume for a new contest

3) HAVE AT 'ER!!!  :naughtydance:

28 minutes ago, Friendly said:

3) HAVE AT 'ER!!!  :naughtydance:

Being that it's a contest though, there should be rules in place - what you're suggesting is just "set up a pico tank".

A contest needs a challenge as well as have a level playing field for all participants.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic