Cultivated Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas πŸ€”πŸ’­πŸ’‘

Christopher Marks

shaneandjohn
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You think it can hold water for 7 months?Β πŸ€”IMG_20190324_211130.thumb.jpg.64a825b01a5efd105596d8aeae8dd765.jpg

Haha , I am sure someone will cry foul play because somehow that gives you an unfair advantage. This breaks the rule of a clear viewing window πŸ˜‚

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

If you got silicone between the glass, and not just covering it, it should.

Just covering it on both sides...then slap some Band-Aids or tape on? It can't be much pressure.

• Like 1
shaneandjohn
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Just covering it on both sides...then slap some Band-Aids or tape on? It can't be much pressure.

Or maybe some Flex Seal Tape πŸ‘

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You think it can hold water for 7 months?Β πŸ€”IMG_20190324_211130.thumb.jpg.64a825b01a5efd105596d8aeae8dd765.jpg

And just like that, we have a front runner for the jankiest category.

• Haha 4
10 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Doο»Ώ pο»Ώeople actually buy them for this ο»Ώpriceο»Ώο»Ώ??ο»Ώ I guess I gotta ο»Ώstop bο»Ώeiο»Ώο»Ώnο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώgο»Ώ laο»Ώο»Ώzyο»Ώ anο»Ώdο»Ώο»Ώ goο»Ώ ο»Ώο»Ώtο»Ώo mο»Ώyο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώ Lο»Ώο»ΏFο»Ώο»Ώο»ΏS.

That's what I thought too.

Β 

A little better:

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Professional-ADB11001-2-5-Gallon/dp/B00BUFXUBA/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=2.5+gallon+aquarium&qid=1553485163&s=gateway&sr=8-27

Β 

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Tank-Glass-2-1-Gal/dp/B005VDO7D2/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=12+x+6+x+8+aquarium&qid=1553485546&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Β 

Β 

14 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Do people actually buy them for this price?? I guess I gotta stop being lazy and go to my LFS

Screenshot_7.jpg

Not for a janky one like that! I think mine was $12 at Petsmart.

• Like 1

Yeah I should check petco/petsmart and my LFS.

Β 

Although I'm currently debating if I should get a 2.5g just for the contest, or get a slightly larger tank that I'll have a higher chance of keeping long term

Just now, spectra said:

Well being on an island may contribute to the price also............

Β 

am sure shipping to there stinks.......

Lol tell me about it. It's why milk is $7-8/gal 😞

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, yoshii said:

I'm currently debating if I should get a 2.5g just for the contest, or get a slightly larger tank that I'll have a higher chance of keeping long term

For $15, I say get the 2.5 and participate in the contest.Β  Then upgrade afterwards.Β  Plan your build around this dual purpose.

5 minutes ago, seabass said:

For $15, I say get the 2.5 and participate in the contest.Β  Then upgrade afterwards.Β  Plan your build around this dual purpose.

I was considering that. I have two tiny hitchhiker gobies at work right now that could use a tank. Although they are so tiny they might get lost in a 2.5, currently they're in a 1g

Β 

As long as a 2.5 isn't $40 I will probably pick one up this week πŸ™‚

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I guess it's time to hit up the glass scrap bin at Lowe's tomorrow and see if I can find a piece to fit over the crack πŸ˜›

A black piece of acrylic siliconed in place would potentially help seal it, make it stronger, and provide a background.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Beautiful tank! πŸ‘Β 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
On 3/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, Tamberav said:

I vote tidal...has built in surface skimmer.

Β 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, Clown79 said:

Tidal55- silent, complete flow control, sicce pump, huge media basket, surface skimmer.Β 

Β 

Β 

Got it today!Β It's a beast - and quiet.Β  Pleasant surprise after the IM14 contest tank pump nightmare from a couple years ago!Β Β 

It does takeΒ up quite a bit of room in the tankΒ and may cause some shading BUT Β there's no concern with flow!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Β 

Got it today!Β It's a beast - and quiet.Β  Pleasant surprise after the IM14 contest tank pump nightmare from a couple years ago!Β Β 

It does takeΒ up quite a bit of room in the tankΒ and may cause some shading BUT Β there's no concern with flow!

By far my fav hob.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, Frag Factory said:

I need to pick up a mini heater, what are other people using? Can I trust the seal present Chinese heaters?Β 

I run the DeepBlue Betta Stik heaters, but I use a controller. They are fixed output and set for tropical fresh water. If you size it too large, they will boil your tank. They are a great size and super compact. The same physical size heater has diffeent ratings from 7.5-60W.

Β 

Β 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, spectra said:

dang old school right there................if I had that I would polish it up...........

Β 

remember those old tanks that had a chrome rim around them..........

Β 

Metaframes are awesome. I’ve been trying to pick one up from the local auctions the past few years,Β but they have been going for more than I’m willing to pay. All the retired fish keepers have been buying them.

Β 

Β 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:14 PM, Tamberav said:

Β 

I was trying to figure out what the text in the glass was. It took a while to figure out it was ink from the back of the sticker.

That stinks that your tank got broken. You have a really good start on the Janky Tank category.

Β 

• Like 2

BOY I'M 'BOUT TO DO IT-

3Feako5pnZg.thumb.png.f5c97a7f704ff509940464cd3b7405d4.png

Β 

10% off once you add it to the cart, so buy online and pickup in store... It's on the way home anyway...

Β 

Angels! lend me your might! I must resist this temptation! I already have most everything I need so it's really difficult!

• Like 3

Just paid for the tank and picking it up tonight!

Β 

What heaters are you guys buying? I'm considering grabbing a betta heater for my 2.5 shrimp tank and pulling the hydor theo from that tank for this build, unless there are any decent heaters around ~$10 or so.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic