Pod Your Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

Honestly prior to seeing this - was wandering through Petco today pondering the possibilities of a 40B at $40 with the sale, and picked up a 2.5G Aqueon for grins to build on my nightstand.  Set myself the goal of $75 all in before livestock, so I guess an entry here will be a thing.  Love the community here and the fun around stuff like this. ❤️ 

• Like 8

Ordered an Acuaclear 30 for this competition the other day, found my old Aquaclear 50 the day after I ordered the 30...lol. Had to order a new intake tube for it, but hey, who doesn't need spare stuff, right?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

8&9 are only accurate because the allowable build is subpar 

Not necessarily.  You can get the nicest rimless 2.5 gal tank and LED light fixture that you wish, and the filter itself is optional.  Plus, you could always add an internal filter after the contest is over.  I know the rules don't fit your plan, but you can still participate with quality, good looking equipment.  You just won't fit very well into the Janky Tank Posse.

What am I doing?  I'm going full janky, complete with aquarium decorations. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@Christopher Marks - what are the chances the contest will open up to different dimensions as long as they fill the same capacity? my options are getting slimmer and slimmer with the best one being the 3 gallon long from AquaTop...18" x 5" x 7".

52 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

8&9 are only accurate because the build is subpar

Oh, if you mean my entry, then yes; you would be correct.  My build will be almost be sure to not to impress. :lol:

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

8&9 are only accurate because the allowable build is subpar

Agreed. I thought it was kinda silly to have some of these rules.  Like the tank @jbb_00 wanted to use didnt have some big advantage other than it looked nicer.  Seems this contest is for people who want to set up a tank just to take it down🤨... wont be participating in the jankyness but will still follow alone to see how everyone does!😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Seems this contest is for people who want to set up a tank just to take it down🤨

I certainly hope that I didn't help promote that sentiment.  It's true that many contest tanks get taken down after the contests are over (restrictions or not).  However, I know a number of people that have plans to continue their 2.5 gallon picos long term.

I get that the restrictions might not appeal to all.  But I'm glad that you will still be following along.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
42 minutes ago, seabass said:

I get that the restrictions might not appeal to all

Yea that's the thing I get why there has to be restrictions and most of them make sense because most of them would give a competitive advantage. like adding a sump or canister that would add more system volume. I get the trying to be inclusive and pick a tank that's at a low price point to make it affordable to all.  But if someone wants to spend a little more on a tank that essentially only hides the pump and doesnt give a real advantage why wouldnt that be allowed? The no dividing walls or aio tank part is what I guess I dont understand..🤔... and we all know by this point you can have the fanciest glass box in the world and still doesnt mean your going to have the best looking reef.. 🤣

You guys ever decide what's the point of this contest yet? Best scape? Best growth? 🤔???

A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, Weikel said:

You guys ever decide what's the point of this contest yet? Best scape? Best growth? 🤔???

Junkier the better🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still think best aquascape with a limit of 3-5 species would generate the most creativity (a type of creativity that isn't usually present in reef keeping). How well can you work within those limitations to produce something awesome? Using multiple frags of the same few species to create depth and balance would get very interesting. It would likely create design decisions similar to those encountered with planted aquaria.  A 2.5 gallon might not be much space, but I could see people turning towards "foreground, midground, and background" corals or something similar. Most importantly it would give  competitors leeway while still putting them out of their comfort zones (which usually makes for a more interesting competition of any sort). 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

Is it go time yet 😁 my box of closet gear looked better in the closet

I'm guessing March 31st/ April 1st, there will be an official thread

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Weikel said:

Agreed. I thought it was kinda silly to have some of these rules.  Like the tank @jbb_00 wanted to use didnt have some big advantage other than it looked nicer.  Seems this contest is for people who want to set up a tank just to take it down🤨... wont be participating in the jankyness but will still follow alone to see how everyone does!😉

JB can use the tank..........I have the same one also. Its just the filter he wanted to use that not allowed..........

Maybe I should have just bought the 12.99 tank and put the scuba diver in it :unsure: oh that 70s clam that opened and shut to.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

JB can use the tank..........I have the same one also. Its just the filter he wanted to use that not allowed..........

Maybe I should have just bought the 12.99 tank and put the scuba diver in it :unsure: oh that 70s clam that opened and shut to.........

You been peeking at my notes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am very excited about this contest because the price range is one that I can join.  I plan to spend about $75.00 on equipment and most of the frags will come off of frags in my 75 gallon.  The most expensive thing it contains is 20.00 RFA and a bunch of 5 and 10 dollar frags.  This will be my smallest tank by far and I hope to try doing things with it that I have never done before.  I plan to keep it up long term and I am happy to do a tank journal because I have never done that before either.  Will it win a prize? probably not but it will make me happy to look at it.

I don't care what anyone else does with their tank or how much money they spend.  I will gain knowledge from reading about all of the other builds and that is why I come to this site.  I am glad someone with a lot more reef knowledge than me  is making  the rules to help keep the playing field fair.  I hope I can figure out how to start a personal thread and add pictures.  If not I hope someone will guide me when I need help.  Good luck to all that decide to enter.

• Like 7
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic