Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

1 minute ago, spectra said:

I like the idea of the HOB filter as stated hiding equipment in there is key...…..who wants a small tank with a bunch of equipment in it ? 

Why no AIO ? they do make some small ones now. 

AiO could be a possible category, but reason for it being a 'no' is that it provides unfair advantage as that essentially gives a sump, which is not an option.

3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

AiO could be a possible category, but reason for it being a 'no' is that it provides unfair advantage as that essentially gives a sump, which is not an option.

Not really if total water volume is in the range. Its basically an area for filtration and heater. 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I still don’t think an AIO insert would give any advantage, and I would love to see someone try to sump one of these.  The only forced parameter should be 2.5g display and an agreeable max system volume that would allow canisters and sumps, perhaps 5g assuming the same 2.5 was used as the sump.  FYI I will be only running an air pump in an undergravel filter so I am not trying to allow more just for my own benefit.  I feel the more complicated a system the more difficult its maintenance and a decrease in reliability.  Open the flood gates allow system customization but force the 2.5g as there is a reason people want a rimless and if we allow them maybe people’s preference for rimless would be apparent come voting time.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

the filtration should be KEY into classification or category for the contest

Interesting idea - categories for: no filter, purchased HOB/internal, and misc (DIY AIO, under gravel, or other filter not adding to total volume). :unsure:

One concern might be a common FTS view.  An AIO with half the tank dedicated to filtration would kind of wreck the unified esthetics of the contest (and a side view FTS shot wouldn't conform either).

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Interesting idea - categories for: no filter, purchased HOB/internal, and misc (DIY AIO, under gravel, or other filter not adding to total volume). :unsure:

One concern might be a common FTS view.  An AIO with half the tank dedicated to filtration would kind of wreck the unified esthetics of the contest (and a side view FTS shot wouldn't conform either).

Well I’m broke

so I’m building my own tank out of acrylic whether it be an insert for an existing tank or what have you. I’m just waiting upon specific constraints or rules that need to be followed 

• Like 1

To encourage participation, what do you all think about an ineligible category; for people using an approved tank, but don't meet other contest regulations (like joined too late, using an unapproved filter, etc)?  IDK, I'm probably overthinking this.

Lot's of good ideas and discussion, but I'm noticing a key lack of consensus/focus in this thread (though it's getting better).
I'd like to provoke some thoughts.

Are we planning a "system" contest or an "aquascaping" contest?

So many people are concerned about their system/equipment. I'm sitting here wondering: "How does buying a bunch of hardware have anything to do with skills worthy of a competition"? I understand that folks really want to hammer out the actual equipment to be used (for good reason), but I feel like many are placing too much emphasis on this aspect.

I'm new to the "design phase" of a competition such as this, and I see the obvious logic in a "standardized" approach to hardware. It seems clear that a range of options will be more conducive/inclusive too. But once that's agreed upon, what's the actual "competitive element" we're seeking to pursue

I see plenty of people who don't seem to have thought about the purpose of a competition. They're very focused on the ideal system specs that they want in their homes and less on the "showcase your skills within a constraint" element. If we want to be as inclusive as possible, I think the folks who are dead-set on specific equipment (e.g. "muh rimless") need to remember that they're placing constraints on fellow competitors that probably aren't very interesting/meaningful from competitive standpoint. Is final judging going to focus on what you're able to do within a glass box (i.e. the aquascape and husbandry aspects, you know, "skill") or is it going to be focused on how pretty your setup looks from across the room (i.e. can you throw enough money at "sexy" equipment)? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a rimless AIO tank with a $300 light on it just as much as the next person, I just think that's a really boring aspect with respect to a competition. I'd much rather compete based upon what I can do inside of an "ugly" black rimmed ~2.5 gallon in the span of 6 months (after which I can "plop" the inhabitants into said rimless AIO that matches my homes' decor).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Grundler said:

"muh rimless"

Yeah @spectra who asked you :lol:

I'm with @Grundler on wondering what the competition will actually be. Those details are what I keep coming back hoping to see so I can decide if I want to join or not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
This guy is extra salty
13 minutes ago, Grundler said:

Lot's of good ideas and discussion, but I'm noticing a key lack of consensus/focus in this thread (though it's getting better).
I'd like to provoke some thoughts.

Are we planning a "system" contest or an "aquascaping" contest?

So many people are concerned about their system/equipment. I'm sitting here wondering: "How does buying a bunch of hardware have anything to do with skills worthy of a competition"? I understand that folks really want to hammer out the actual equipment to be used (for good reason), but I feel like many are placing too much emphasis on this aspect.

I'm new to the "design phase" of a competition such as this, and I see the obvious logic in a "standardized" approach to hardware. It seems clear that a range of options will be more conducive/inclusive too. But once that's agreed upon, what's the actual "competitive element" we're seeking to pursue

I see plenty of people who don't seem to have thought about the purpose of a competition. They're very focused on the ideal system specs that they want in their homes and less on the "showcase your skills within a constraint" element. If we want to be as inclusive as possible, I think the folks who are dead-set on specific equipment (e.g. "muh rimless") need to remember that they're placing constraints on fellow competitors that probably aren't very interesting/meaningful from competitive standpoint. Is final judging going to focus on what you're able to do within a glass box (i.e. the aquascape and husbandry aspects, you know, "skill") or is it going to be focused on how pretty your setup looks from across the room (i.e. can you throw enough money at "sexy" equipment)? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a rimless AIO tank with a $300 light on it just as much as the next person, I just think that's a really boring aspect with respect to a competition. I'd much rather compete based upon what I can do inside of an "ugly" black rimmed ~2.5 gallon in the span of 6 months (after which I can "plop" the inhabitants into said rimless AIO that matches my homes' decor).

I think these categories can be agreed upon or judged

1. Tank selection (dimensions vs water volume)

2.filtration(hob,AIO, internal)

3. Aquascape

4. Inhabitants (fish, coral, inverts)

5.equipment(lights,pumps, etc.)

6. Within contest outlined budget

@seabass please add more I’m struggling 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Grundler said:

what's the actual "competitive element" we're seeking to pursue?

It often comes down to "best" overall.  So what does that mean?  It might mean something different to each contestant, and each person who decides to vote.  Unfortunately it sometimes it comes down to how much expensive coral you can stuff into a tank without having it die.  But most of the time, people will consider a whole host of criteria like documentation, acquascape, growth, etc.

Sometimes we have categories for things like best aquascape.  This is something that we should decide upon.  Are we looking for a best overall, or do we wish to narrow the scope, or do we wish to have categories that people can compete for (and what might those categories be).

1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

@seabass please add more I’m struggling 

:lol:  I like the best aquascape category (at 2.5 gallons, it should be very bonsai like).  I'd like to see more than a typical single piece of live rock placed in a tiny glass box here.

I think people seem relatively agreed that the common factor will be the tank, so there isn't that much we can do there.  Breaking it into filtration categories would be primarily to even the competition.  However, if we restrict filtration (to say purchased internal or HOB filters), that shouldn't be necessary.

Best overall is a bit of a popularity contest.  However, not so much about the popularity of the contestant as their tank.  We can find a lot that we might appreciate, like color, balance, diversity, sticking to a theme, difficulty, and general beauty of the tank.  A biotope would be interesting; Caribbean, macro dominate, SPS dominate, etc.  I'm thinking about doing another 6" DSB. :wink:

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Ok, here are the proposed contest tank rules! 👏

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic. (We can outline various known tank options that comply)

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

Any Lighting

Any Livestock

Limited Equipment Choices (Use all or none)

• 1x Hang on back filter (total water volume no greater than .5 gal)
  • 1x Powerhead circulation pump
  • 1x Aquarium Heater
  • 1x Air pump and air line tubing

Optional Allowed Equipment

• Lid, cover or screen (Recommended)
  • Automatic top-off and/or dosing system
  • Aquarium controller, temperature controller, power strips, timers, etc.
  • Media baskets or other hang on back filter modifications
  • Surface skimmer modifications for hang on back filter

Disallowed Equipment

• No External sumps or plumbing
  • No AIO Inserts or any dividing walls
  • No Protein Skimmers
  • No Reactors
  • No Canister filters

🏆 As for the competition aspect, I think we should decide on a few, perhaps just 3, categories by which we will choose winners. In this competition everyone starts with a similar canvas and gear selection. Some ideas to start...

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

Let's brainstorm more ideas for our top 3! 🌩

Proposed competition dates March 31st - September 30th. What if we did 7 months instead, ending October 31st or Nov 1st?

Edited by Christopher Marks
Clarifications and updates
  • Like 11
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic. (We can outline various known tank options that comply)

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

Any Lighting

Any Livestock

• 1x Internal submersible filter pump
  • 1x Aquarium Heater

• Media baskets
  • Surface skimmer modifications

Disallowed Equipment

• External sumps or plumbing
  • AIO Inserts or dividing walls
  • Protein Skimmers
  • Reactors
  • Canister filters

🏆 As for the competition aspect, I think we should decide on a few, perhaps just 3, categories by which we will choose winners. In this competition everyone starts with a similar canvas and gear selection. Some ideas to start...

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best System Design
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

Proposed competition dates March 31st - September 30th

What about auto water change? 

21 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Some ideas to start...

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best System Design
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

Proposed competition dates March 31st - September 30th. What if we did 7 months instead, ending October 31st or Nov 1st?

I think April 1st to October 31st. 

I don't like "overall growth" because ime my corals don't grow that fast!

My ideas include:

- Most colorful

- best "theme" tank (I'm secretly hoping someone uses trinkets in their tank like Kat's pico tank with the tree, flower pots, and red wagon!)

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
28 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Any Lighting

Any Livestock

• 1x Aquarium Heater

• Media baskets

Disallowed Equipment

• Protein Skimmers
  • Reactors
  • Canister filters

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best System Design
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

I disagree with the AIO/divided wall insert part but everything else is fine

But you will allow media baskets? an internal sump is ok?

Edited by This guy is extra salty
  • Like 3

Yippy. My tank will work!

Themes for competition

Most minimal, best aquascape, fully equipped.

Will we be able to add things as we go if we need to?

I think March 31st ro end of Sept would be good

13 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

What about auto water change? 

5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think this would be fine, it's falls under a dosing system, essentially, right?

Also, it shouldn't be used as a way to increase water volume or share water with another system.

• Like 2
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think this would be fine, it's falls under a dosing system, essentially, right?

Basically. If I chose to participate I would like to integrate both dosing/water change in one shot with elevated Ca/Mg/Alk salt mix. Does it make sense? 

Also, can I get away with slightly bigger hang on the back filter to accommodate heater to make inside the box a little cleaner and less obstructive? 

MainelyReefer

I like the 7 month timeline, I would even like to see a grand prize at 1 year to encourage keeping the systems running past the initial finish date as that was one weak point of the last competition.  Thanks for giving a timeline for start date, even my wife wants to know so I stop planning/designing haha.  

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

I get away with slightly bigger hang on the back filter to accommodate heater to make inside the box a little cleaner and less obstructive? 

They make small heaters

• Like 3
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Also, it shouldn't be used as a way to increase water volume or share water with another system.

How are you increasing the water volume with a doser? 200ml? 

It’s for freshly mixed water not existing system. Instead of manually changing water or dosing trace elements, doser would do that for me. It’s that simple. 

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Also, can I get away with slightly bigger hang on the back filter to accommodate heater to make inside the box a little cleaner and less obstructive?

We are only talking about 2.5 gallons here, so a 7W heater should be fine for many.  There are heater options that will fit into a half gallon HOB.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, GraniteReefer said:

They make small heaters

They make Beta fish heaters but it doesn’t mean I wanna take that chance. 

I was planing to use smallest Cobalt in one of HOB compartments that’s all. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, seabass said:

We are only talking about 2.5 gallons here, so a 7W heater should be fine for many.  There are heater options that will fit into a half gallon HOB.

Ok. I guess I’ll have to compromise filtration for clean look then. 

45 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Any Lighting

Any Livestock

• 1x Aquarium Heater

• Media baskets

Disallowed Equipment

• Protein Skimmers
  • Reactors
  • Canister filters

• Best Documented Growth
  • Best System Design
  • Best Aquascape
  • Most Minimal
  • ???

my concerns:

1) why limit the tank dimensions...2.5 gallons is 2.5 gallons. as long as it's an official aquarium and not a 'container', I don't see that it should matter.

2) if you can use almost any sort of equipment imaginable, like ATO's and dosing, why are sumps/external filters being excluded?

3) no budget guidelines?

two categories with two sub-categories I can think of are:

- most inclusive, as in a tank with the highest number of species of flora/fauna...one that's proven itself sustainable...both KISS and complicated?

- best looking, as in all around design that includes aquascape, color blending, activity, again, KISS and complicated.

for the categories, you could even break them up into sub-categories with budgets assigned to them, if budgets are created.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic