partlycloudy531

My 9.1G Bookcase Nano Reef

Nice progress on the project @partlycloudy531! It can be tough to get custom plumbing all dialed in right.

39 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

928C05E8-EFC0-42F4-9444-8ADF8EB5D43C.jpeg

I noticed there was some extra return line tubing shown hanging over the edge of the sump, once you shorten than to proper length that should help increase the output of your return pump by reducing the head pressure. It might help raise the water level in the display tank a tiny bit too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Nice progress on the project @partlycloudy531! It can be tough to get custom plumbing all dialed in right.

I noticed there was some extra return line tubing shown hanging over the edge of the sump, once you shorten than to proper length that should help increase the output of your return pump by reducing the head pressure. It might help raise the water level in the display tank a tiny bit too.

Ya, I still need to shorten that return line. Hopefully it will raise the water a little. Thanks!

• Like 1

I started a fishless cycle three days ago using Dr. Tim’s ammonia and bacteria.  Aquascaping such a tiny tank had its challenges but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I figured the rocks won’t really matter much once I fill it with corals anyway. I also wanted to leave plenty of room for a couple of clowns to swim around.

I had to switch to a different heater. According to the instructions that came with the Neo Therm, you can’t mount that heater in a horizontal position. Unfortunately the heater is too tall to fit vertically in my sump. So I picked up a 100 watt HMO Titanium heater by Finnex. 

I’ve also decided to switch lights. The AI Prime had to be mounted too close to the water which did not allow for enough light spread. Even with the naked eye I could tell that the edges of the tank were getting hardly any light. So I’m going to try a Marine Orbit Pro by Current. This is one of their discontinued lights but I managed to find a brand new one for $89 shipped which isn’t bad considering they were $270 just 3 years ago. Although the AI Prime is far superior to this light, I’m hoping it will still grow corals just as well considering how shallow the tank is and how close the light  is to the water. This version is more powerful than their current IC version and claims it can easily grow SPS. I will eventually hang the light for a cleaner look once I’m sure it’s the light I’m going to stick with. It’s not as obvious in the pictures but you can still kind of see the shadowing on the edges that I was talking about with the AI Prime. 

70766701-A478-4D5F-B03C-9DC959AD439A.jpeg

A4854F10-3467-463C-A5B2-7DE83B1AA3E8.jpeg

• Like 1

I like your hardscape! I think the asymmetrical islands really utilize all your horizontal space well.

I see that the shadowing on the left was reduced by the Orbit, but it still looks like you have a pretty substantial shadow on the right side. Is that just the photo?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

I like your hardscape! I think the asymmetrical islands really utilize all your horizontal space well.

I see that the shadowing on the left was reduced by the Orbit, but it still looks like you have a pretty substantial shadow on the right side. Is that just the photo?

There is still a little shadowing caused by the rock but it’s definitely better than before. There is also a mound of sand that I need to flatten out that was created  by the flow of the return pump at first. I’ve adjusted the flow now so it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. I think once I fix the sand the shadowing should be a little better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Looking good!  What’s the big plastic grippy looking thing attached to the right side?

Tom

That grippy thing is a Tunze magnet cleaner for the glass. It won’t permanently stay there though. 

• Thanks 1