ReefCleaners.org

My 9.1G Bookcase Nano Reef

partlycloudy531

Christopher Marks

Nice progress on the project @partlycloudy531! It can be tough to get custom plumbing all dialed in right.

39 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

928C05E8-EFC0-42F4-9444-8ADF8EB5D43C.jpeg

I noticed there was some extra return line tubing shown hanging over the edge of the sump, once you shorten than to proper length that should help increase the output of your return pump by reducing the head pressure. It might help raise the water level in the display tank a tiny bit too.

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531
6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Nice progress on the project @partlycloudy531! It can be tough to get custom plumbing all dialed in right.

I noticed there was some extra return line tubing shown hanging over the edge of the sump, once you shorten than to proper length that should help increase the output of your return pump by reducing the head pressure. It might help raise the water level in the display tank a tiny bit too.

Ya, I still need to shorten that return line. Hopefully it will raise the water a little. Thanks!

• Like 1
partlycloudy531

I started a fishless cycle three days ago using Dr. Tim’s ammonia and bacteria.  Aquascaping such a tiny tank had its challenges but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I figured the rocks won’t really matter much once I fill it with corals anyway. I also wanted to leave plenty of room for a couple of clowns to swim around.

I had to switch to a different heater. According to the instructions that came with the Neo Therm, you can’t mount that heater in a horizontal position. Unfortunately the heater is too tall to fit vertically in my sump. So I picked up a 100 watt HMO Titanium heater by Finnex. 

I’ve also decided to switch lights. The AI Prime had to be mounted too close to the water which did not allow for enough light spread. Even with the naked eye I could tell that the edges of the tank were getting hardly any light. So I’m going to try a Marine Orbit Pro by Current. This is one of their discontinued lights but I managed to find a brand new one for $89 shipped which isn’t bad considering they were $270 just 3 years ago. Although the AI Prime is far superior to this light, I’m hoping it will still grow corals just as well considering how shallow the tank is and how close the light  is to the water. This version is more powerful than their current IC version and claims it can easily grow SPS. I will eventually hang the light for a cleaner look once I’m sure it’s the light I’m going to stick with. It’s not as obvious in the pictures but you can still kind of see the shadowing on the edges that I was talking about with the AI Prime. 

70766701-A478-4D5F-B03C-9DC959AD439A.jpeg

A4854F10-3467-463C-A5B2-7DE83B1AA3E8.jpeg

• Like 2

I like your hardscape! I think the asymmetrical islands really utilize all your horizontal space well.

I see that the shadowing on the left was reduced by the Orbit, but it still looks like you have a pretty substantial shadow on the right side. Is that just the photo?

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531
9 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

I like your hardscape! I think the asymmetrical islands really utilize all your horizontal space well.

I see that the shadowing on the left was reduced by the Orbit, but it still looks like you have a pretty substantial shadow on the right side. Is that just the photo?

There is still a little shadowing caused by the rock but it’s definitely better than before. There is also a mound of sand that I need to flatten out that was created  by the flow of the return pump at first. I’ve adjusted the flow now so it shouldn’t be an issue anymore. I think once I fix the sand the shadowing should be a little better. 

• Like 1
partlycloudy531
11 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Looking good!  What’s the big plastic grippy looking thing attached to the right side?

Tom

That grippy thing is a Tunze magnet cleaner for the glass. It won’t permanently stay there though. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
partlycloudy531

Two weeks into the cycle. Seems to be a slow start to the cycle compared to my BC32. Probably because there is not much sand and rock. I do have a liter of Seachem Matrix in the sump though. Either way I’m definitely not in a hurry. 

I did hang the lights which definitely looks better than the flimsy mounting rods that come with the Orbit Pro. I just screwed in a couple hooks so I can easily remove the light to access the tank for maintenance. I also have a custom made lid that will hopefully be arriving in a few weeks.  

2732165B-276E-4A4E-AAB1-7F77681BBB24.jpeg

8F0C1C94-5821-4770-B940-FA390E94C5C0.jpeg

• Like 3
On 3/21/2019 at 9:58 PM, partlycloudy531 said:

I started a fishless cycle three days ago using Dr. Tim’s ammonia and bacteria.  Aquascaping such a tiny tank had its challenges but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I figured the rocks won’t really matter much once I fill it with corals anyway. I also wanted to leave plenty of room for a couple of clowns to swim around.

I had to switch to a different heater. According to the instructions that came with the Neo Therm, you can’t mount that heater in a horizontal position. Unfortunately the heater is too tall to fit vertically in my sump. So I picked up a 100 watt HMO Titanium heater by Finnex. 

I’ve also decided to switch lights. The AI Prime had to be mounted too close to the water which did not allow for enough light spread. Even with the naked eye I could tell that the edges of the tank were getting hardly any light. So I’m going to try a Marine Orbit Pro by Current. This is one of their discontinued lights but I managed to find a brand new one for $89 shipped which isn’t bad considering they were $270 just 3 years ago. Although the AI Prime is far superior to this light, I’m hoping it will still grow corals just as well considering how shallow the tank is and how close the light  is to the water. This version is more powerful than their current IC version and claims it can easily grow SPS. I will eventually hang the light for a cleaner look once I’m sure it’s the light I’m going to stick with. It’s not as obvious in the pictures but you can still kind of see the shadowing on the edges that I was talking about with the AI Prime. 

70766701-A478-4D5F-B03C-9DC959AD439A.jpeg

A4854F10-3467-463C-A5B2-7DE83B1AA3E8.jpeg

for that length of tank, I would recommend two ai primes. I think you would've been much happier with 2 not 1. 

This tank is really pretty! I can't wait to see what it looks like after it gets stocked ^^

Personally I think it's kind of cool to have shady spots in your tank. It gives you some more stocking options, especially in a long, shallow tank without a lot of rockwork to hide things under.

• Like 2
partlycloudy531
4 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

for that length of tank, I would recommend two ai primes. I think you would've been much happier with 2 not 1. 

I agree. The tank was already at the max length recommended for an AI Prime, and not being able to mount it high enough only made it worse. I’m going to hold on to the Prime and if I’m not happy with the Marine Orbit Pro, I might look at doing two Primes. 

2 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

I agree. The tank was already at the max length recommended for an AI Prime, and not being able to mount it high enough only made it worse. I’m going to hold on to the Prime and if I’m not happy with the Marine Orbit Pro, I might look at doing two Primes. 

if you do decide to go back to the primes, you could stick them right where the hooks are and have it like recessed lights. That would be awesome! 🙂

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

My custom lid came in today. The tank is cycled, fish going in tomorrow. 

77E6385C-174E-4C44-BB8C-9C039AE89044.jpeg

Looks very nice so far. 😊

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531

Fish have been added. After some long thought I decided that I’m going to break down my BC32. These two clowns came from that tank. I’m about to be changing jobs and I’m worried I won’t have the time to keep up two tanks. Maybe in a year or two my circumstances will change and I can put back up the BC. 

I raised the water level in the tank by about an inch. To do this, I had to cut a piece of acrylic and super glue it to the inside of the overflow box. It worked great and you can’t even tell it’s there. With a tank this small, the two inch gap was just too much of an eyesore. Now it’s about one inch from the top. 

I replaced the return nozzle with a random flow generator. I have the return pump on the second lowest setting right now and I’m starting to wonder if I even need the MP10. If I just crank up the return pump, it might create enough flow. I can still return the MP10 so it would save me $300, but even more importantly it would keep the display looking better with less equipment. I don’t plan on adding coral for a while but it definitely something I will test out once the time comes. 

I’m also breaking in my Eshopps Axium 120 Skimmer. I’ll run it wide open for the next couple of days while it adjusts. 

Next project will be cord management. 

0B636DC5-B992-4EFE-A676-0E775A4EF6CC.jpeg

787EECF1-FCC6-44BC-8E48-73B29C5E609A.jpeg

0AAC672B-291C-40F6-8B3B-A4BFB7E177E9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
partlycloudy531

I finally added corals to the tank.  Seven zoa frags that are still acclimating but seem to be doing well. I went fish only for eight months so I’m hoping the tank has had some time to mature and do it’s thing. Except for a minor case of cyano, I had no issues with the tank while it was FO. In addition to the two clowns, I added a Red Trimma Goby from Biota. He’s a tiny guy and after 5 months has finally started coming out to get pellets when I feed. Not sure what he was living off of the first 5 months but glad he’s finally comfortable enough around the clowns to join them for dinner. Unfortunately I’m disappointed with the coral color I’m getting from the Marine Orbit Pro so I ordered the new AI Hydra 32 today. I’ll post some new pictures once it comes in.CE00434C-066E-47DE-9730-12FFC1E9C564.thumb.jpeg.e5fc85e5ffe3f5e58bdc0ca8e27b6ded.jpeg6E2AE648-0AE9-41BF-A733-CACC94C42143.thumb.jpeg.27a88bfa8c587a21c28aad394acad328.jpeg

• Like 2
partlycloudy531

The AI Hydra 32 came today. There is a common problem with the new Hydras where they arrive with the circuit board loose so you have to unscrew the cover and snap it back in place. Mine had that issue. It’s easy to fix but kinda sucks that you have to open up a brand new $360 light to make it work. I have it set really low right now and the zoas are doing ok but do seem a little irritated by the change of light. The coral color already looks better under this light but I think the Orbit Marine Pro fixture itself looked sleeker over the tank.

969C25DA-2A1E-47DD-9C5A-63D4C1FCCD40.jpeg

3DC2ADD2-F91B-4E11-9F8A-6FF738200627.jpeg

• Like 2

I think two primes would have looked better as the hydra really lacks spread. Not that you want to hear that after trying so many lights! 

The tank looks really sleek and good otherwise.

Who made the top?

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I think two primes would have looked better as the hydra really lacks spread. Not that you want to hear that after trying so many lights! 

The tank looks really sleek and good otherwise.

Who made the top?

I agree the spread could be better. I need a Hydra 64! It’s definitely more noticeable in the pictures than in person. I don’t think I will have any issues growing any corals of my choice though. The top is from Octo Lids. 

partlycloudy531
4 hours ago, M&C said:

Awesome tank, super clean build and fits perfectly in that shelf space. Any livestock plans besides what's in their already?

Thanks! The two clowns and the trimma goby will probably be the only fish. With the sump there is 17 gallons of total water volume so from a bioload standpoint I could probably add another fish but I don’t want to crowd them too much. I definitely plan on adding some more corals, I just don’t know what yet. Preferably something with low flow requirements so I don’t have to add a powerhead. 

• 1 month later...
partlycloudy531

I added a few more corals yesterday. A hammer, frogspawn, candy cane and a goniopora. They all seem happy right now except for the goniopora. Hopefully it improves soon. 

6912F384-86A4-4504-9C76-F2C80CE667E8.jpeg

9ED6576A-0C16-4E4E-96CB-5472FADC3B23.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, partlycloudy531 said:

I added a few more corals yesterday. A hammer, frogspawn, candy cane and a goniopora. They all seem happy right now except for the goniopora. Hopefully it improves soon. 

6912F384-86A4-4504-9C76-F2C80CE667E8.jpeg

9ED6576A-0C16-4E4E-96CB-5472FADC3B23.jpeg

From what I have heard gonis take awhile to chill out. Looks great! 

• Like 1