inTank Media Baskets

My 9.1G Bookcase Nano Reef

partlycloudy531

partlycloudy531

After keeping my first successful reef tank for over a year (BC32), I decided it was time for another tank. This will be going in the bottom left hand corner of a built in bookcase in my living room. The sump will be hidden away underneath in the cabinet. Im waiting on the last of my plumbing pieces to arrive so I can begin the install. Here is my plan so far. Updates to come soon. 

Display Tank: Aquamaxx 9.1g Rimless

Sump: Eshopps RS-100

Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S

Light: AI Prime HD, Marine Orbit Pro, AI Hydra 32

Return Pump: Innovative Marine MightyJet Midsize 538gph

Powerhead: Ecotech MP10 Vortech - not currently using a powerhead 

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto

Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 100w, HMO Finnex Titanium 100w with an AutoAqua Smart Temp Security

Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Rock: Real Reef Rock

Filtration: Seachem Matrix and Chemipure (placed in Aquamaxx internal FR-S reactor)

Skimmer: Eshopps Axium 120

Lid: Custom made by Octo Aquatics

Livestock:

1 x ORA Black Snowflake Clown

1 x ORA Black Ice Clown

1 x Biota Red Trimma Goby

1 x Fighting Conch

4 x Nassarius Snail

4 x Nerite Snail

8 x Cerith Snail

7 x Random Zoas

1 x Frogspawn 

1 x ORA Hammer

1 x ORA Candy Cane

1 x ORA Goniopora

FTS 1/9/20

5D2B5A66-1355-4054-8C6E-C54A7F29EC7D.thumb.jpeg.b47dd6a34684214f34a885ac2693ca74.jpeg

B9C2A9FB-33FB-48BE-AF4C-2F15AE1A990C.jpeg

EB13AE5F-A3AC-4DB7-B4A3-ACC925486701.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Gourami Swami

Nice! You've got a couple things I've been wanting- that sump, and the XP aqua duetto. Let me know how you like them!

You've probably thought of this, but i'd make sure you have enough room to get into and out of the tank easily for maintenance, doesn't look like that tall of a shelf.

Good luck with the setup!

• Like 1
partlycloudy531
1 hour ago, Gourami Swami said:

Nice! You've got a couple things I've been wanting- that sump, and the XP aqua duetto. Let me know how you like them!

You've probably thought of this, but i'd make sure you have enough room to get into and out of the tank easily for maintenance, doesn't look like that tall of a shelf.

Good luck with the setup!

Thanks!

It’s my first experience with both of those pieces of equipment but I will definitely give my thoughts on them in my updates. 

The book shelf is 18” tall and the tank is 9.5” so I’m hoping I should be ok for maintenance. My real concern is having enough room for the AI Prime since I have to leave space for the fan on top. 

On 2/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, partlycloudy531 said:

After keeping my first successful reef tank for over a year (BC32), I decided it was time for another tank. This will be going in the bottom left hand corner of a built in bookcase in my living room. The sump will be hidden away underneath in the cabinet. Im waiting on the last of my plumbing pieces to arrive so I can begin the install. Here is my plan so far. Updates to come soon. 

Display Tank: Aquamaxx 9.1g Rimless

Sump: Eshopps RS-100

Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S

Light: AI Prime HD

Return Pump: Innovative Marine MightyJet Midsize 538gph

Powerhead: Ecotech MP10 Vortech

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto

Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w with an AutoAqua Smart Temp Security

Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Rock: Real Reef Rock

Filtration: Seachem Matrix and Chemipure Blue

Skimmer: TBD

B9C2A9FB-33FB-48BE-AF4C-2F15AE1A990C.jpeg

EB13AE5F-A3AC-4DB7-B4A3-ACC925486701.jpeg

Sweet setup!

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531
1 hour ago, Firefish15 said:

Sounds cool! Got stocking ideas yet?

Thanks!

My plan is to go 100% captive bred so I’m thinking a pair of clowns, a trimma goby from Biota, and a few captive bred snails for a CUC. I have a pair of black snowflake clowns in my biocube but I really just want a pair of plain old orange clowns. 

I have not been able to successfully keep zoas in my biocube so I’m hoping I can change that in this tank. I am not a big fan of SPS so I will probably just stick to mostly LPS. I’ll let the tank cycle for at least 6 weeks so I still have a while to think about it. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, partlycloudy531 said:

My plan is to go 100% captive bred so I’m thinking a pair of clowns, a trimma goby from Biota, and a few captive bred snails for a CUC. I have a pair of black snowflake clowns in my biocube but I really just want a pair of plain old orange clowns. 

I'm really encouraged with the advancement this hobby has made with the captive bred fish offerings over the years. Company's like Biota need to be supported by all of us, this is the future of the hobby.

• Like 2
partlycloudy531

Tonight, I cut the holes for the overflow and the return and painted the back black. It was my first time cutting glass but I watched some YouTube videos and read some tips on the forums. The Eshopps Eclipse came with the diamond bit and an acrylic guide that you tape or clamp on to the glass. If you don’t have something like this, you should make one out of a piece of wood or acrylic yourself. I heard at least 20 people say DO NOT try to cut the hole freehand without some sort of guide or the bit will run across the glass and scratch it. So I cut the hole first for the overflow using the included bit and guide. I was a little nervous at first but the tank was $90 so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I messed it up. It ended up being just as easy as everyone said it would be. So now I’m feeling confident and like an idiot, decide to try to freehand the return. Ya, I know. Stupid decision. The bit slipped just like everyone said it would and I scratched the glass just like everyone said I would. Luckily the bulkhead covers the scratches completely or I’d probably be ordering a new tank. Lesson learned, no more shortcuts. 

FCF0541A-1A7C-4228-8BF4-304D3AB9D374.jpeg

09FD8185-A490-4910-B7A8-914FE51A277D.jpeg

2CCD5011-B92D-4147-95AF-EB5C4EAF15C0.jpeg

A719CB8B-BB58-4EB3-9235-02BD339BA3DA.jpeg

• Like 1

You don't see a reef tank in a bookshelf often, probably because of the evaporation and the (possible) effects of that to the bookshelf itself? You are not afraid of that going to happen?

Good luck with the tank nontheless, it looks like you have choosen your equipment carefully and with high quality-standards, which I can only encourage. 🙂

partlycloudy531
3 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

You don't see a reef tank in a bookshelf often, probably because of the evaporation and the (possible) effects of that to the bookshelf itself? You are not afraid of that going to happen?

Good luck with the tank nontheless, it looks like you have choosen your equipment carefully and with high quality-standards, which I can only encourage. 🙂

It was a concern I had but I figured if people have been keeping sumps enclosed in cabinets with no problems, then this wouldn’t be much different. The tank only comes about half way up the shelf so there shouldn’t be any condensation build up. If it does become an issue then I’ll have to look at some kind of vinyl laminate to protect the wood. 

Band Hunter

I said I thought this would look great but your pics exceed my expectations. Pretty work on the plumbing and preparations.

• Thanks 1
partlycloudy531
2 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Hopefully the fireplace doesn't heat things up too much when it runs. That would be a bummer. 

Looks super clean!

I’m a little worried about that, too. It will be cold here in the South this week so I’ll have a chance to test it out with no livestock in the tank. 

• Like 1
On 3/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, partlycloudy531 said:

I’m a little worried about that, too. It will be cold here in the South this week so I’ll have a chance to test it out with no livestock in the tank. 

If you worried or would like a little insurance policy (just in case), pick-up some heat resistant material and put it on the inner bookshelf wall between the tank. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I really like that sump. Been thinking of getting one. I hope you have small hands though... doesn't look like a lot of space to work with in your tank. 

• 2 weeks later...
partlycloudy531

I finally added water for the leak test. Unfortunately there were leaks and the overflow was way too loud. So after some more research I decided to plumb the tank all over again. The leaks were caused by some quick disconnect unions that I bought at Home Depot. The guy at Home Depot tried to talk me out of them but I really liked the idea of not gluing the plumbing. I also switched from the ball valve to a gate valve because I couldn’t get the overflow silent enough with the ball valve. All is good now though. No leaks and overflow is almost dead silent. I tried to take some pictures from behind the tank but it was tough. I think I’m going to try to raise the water level about a half inch by glueing some acrylic to the inside of the overflow box. 

D93E0FE3-F1FD-420F-9D3B-CC4CC8063D82.jpeg

928C05E8-EFC0-42F4-9444-8ADF8EB5D43C.jpeg

6C975885-2A21-4516-8951-4769A64C2899.jpeg

1F36FEC8-442F-40D4-A5E7-DDC56204AB31.jpeg

969D072D-9E11-4A65-B5C6-F6FB13E365AF.jpeg

• Like 2