Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Azure Phoenix Reefing

Azure Phoenix Reefing

So, the last couple of days, my Euphyllia is acting up a bit. I am not sure if it is not feeling well, or if it could be splitting or perhaps something else I am not aware of. What do you guys and girls think/suggest?

This morning

IMG-20190227-WA0000.thumb.jpg.4adaa8f5ad9afb690befd8dee0527043.jpg

The afternoon

IMG-20190227-WA0004.thumb.jpg.89e241f5dca9f70d3b9bd8c74645dc6b.jpg

As for parameters, only thing that is slightly elevated is my phosphate, since I am trying to balance out my chemistry some more. Other then that, my latest paramaters, before the water change last monday.

•  Ammonia: 0ppm
  • Nitrite: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: ~10ppm
  • Phosphate: .35

• PH: 8.1-8.2
  • dKH: ~10.5
  • Calcium: 460
  • Salinity: 1.025
  • Temp: 77

Could it be preserving energy? Is it dying? I don't see any little critters, nor brownish goo, or zooxanthellae being expelled or whatsoever. It's been doing this for about 3 to 4 days now. Did a 25% waterchange on monday, to see if that would help out, so far it seems not to. Other corals and livestock seem to be ok and active and I haven't changed anything particular lately.

Curious what you guys think could be going on 🤔.

There is flesh missing, the skeleton is showing which can be from various things.

Too much flow, too much/too little light, fluctuations in alk, possibly the high phos.

Azure Phoenix Reefing

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the phosphates.

Flow towards the coral is on the lower end of the spectrum, alk swings shouldn't be too much of an issue, as I am doing regular water changes and don't have many stoney corals. As for lighting, I have a Prime HD on a customized AB+ schedule with lower intensity...

However I am new to the hobby, so in all of those things I might be doing something wrong of course.

How many stony corals do you have and have you monitored alk between waterchanges because that's where fluctuations occur and then again when a waterchange occurs

The 2 things I have noticed with euphyllia is too much flow will do them in, too little flow makes them unhappy, but alk swings is what really effects them. 

For me, they are my most cranky corals. Lol.

Phos is high, it should be 0.03 

What water are you using and what's your maintenance routine?

Azure Phoenix Reefing
43 minutes ago, patback said:

The part that isn't melted off doesnt look terrible.  Was it 3 separate heads initially?  

When I bought it, it was one head, a fairly small frag even. Over the course of about 2 months it grew into this heart shaped form, where I thought it would eventually split. That is why I am kinda bummed out, cause I was kind of getting attached to this hammer.

38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

How many stony corals do you have and have you monitored alk between waterchanges because that's where fluctuations occur and then again when a waterchange occurs

The 2 things I have noticed with euphyllia is too much flow will do them in, too little flow makes them unhappy, but alk swings is what really effects them. 

For me, they are my most cranky corals. Lol.

Phos is high, it should be 0.03 

What water are you using and what's your maintenance routine?

I am using my own RO/DI water, with a tds meter, which has been reading 0001 ever since I started using it. I figured the meter might have been wrongly calibrated, or the DI resin never really worked. Which has me wondering now, seeing as the phos is rather high. As for the salt, I am using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, bringing the mix up to 1.025 salinity.

Currently only using a filter sock and no skimmer or anything, since the ones available to me do not fit (I tried the Hydor nano and the lfs said the Tunze 9001 won't fit either, in a waterbox cube 20 that is). Weekly to bi-weekly water changes, depending on alk/calcium levels. Not dosing anything atm.

I'm guessing I might have been overfeeding (pellets, mysis and ocean nutrition flakes) a bit, since I had to get to know the eating habits of my Clowns, cleaner shrimp and CuC, which consists out of 3 Nerites, 1 Cerith, 3 blue legged hermits, which ate my other 2 ceriths, the little devils...I am holding back a bit on the feeding at the moment.

That is about it when it comes to maintenamce and reef keeping habits atm. Hope this gives enough of an idea of my early stages of having a reef tank.

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:
  • Nitrate: ~10ppm
  • Phosphate: .35

as long as they are accurate, there is nothing wrong with those numbers so far is this coral is concerned. If there is any doubt however, get those numbers double checked at the local fish store.

The only problem with phosphate that could cause the problem you are seeing in the photos, is a lack of phosphate… And a level of zero, or close. This is definitely not your problem, if those numbers are correct.

I agree with focusing on alkalinity.   significant swings can definitely cause the problem you are seeing. Test before your water change and test after your water change that way you know what the total  range of variability is –  both high and low – based on your current practices.

If it turns out not to be alkalinity then you need to look for things that are picking on the coral. This could be shrimp, other coral, crabs, who knows.