SaltCritters.com

Coral IDs: micromussa or acans?

Butchy21

So I’m very confused with the naming of acans versus micromussa theses days...

1. Bluish purple and red circular frag

2. Red and purple large flat colony

3. red/ purple/ green round colony:  Was told this was a micromussa when I bought it. Much smaller heads than the first two corals.

7266E6FD-DE97-414F-AC0D-0612C6F1BBA7.jpeg

D723D66C-4E51-47E9-BDF6-380949715BF5.jpeg

C7BFCCC4-EE8A-4882-B1D9-75E760F4EFD1.jpeg

Gourami Swami

What used to be called Acans, are now called Micromussa Lordhowensis, is my understanding of it. Yours all looks like Micro Lords (acans) to me.

For short, I still call them acans

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I hadn't realized the classification change from Acanthastrea Lordhowensis to Micromussa Lordhowensis, great link @GraniteReefer!

I didn’t realize that either.  I have been seeming a ton of micromussa for sale and just thought, hmmm ok.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, TILTON said:

I didn’t realize that either.  I have been seeming a ton of micromussa for sale and just thought, hmmm ok.

Ya awhile back I heard that the name had changed but it's confusing when reefers and reef stores still use Acans/micromussa to mean the same thing!  So from my understanding Echinata is still an Acanthastrea though?

The importance is coral on coral crime!  Generally people place lords in close proximity without issues but Echinata can be aggressive I think... 

• Like 1