Pod Your Reef

Mixing Saltwater

skrillay0

There is no reason that wouldn't work, it works for mixing mortar and paint. Some brands recommend mixing times for a couple of hours so could be more beneficial to buy a small powerhead or pump.

I purchased a cheap powerhead on amazon that works fine. Just make sure to clean it with fresh water before you store it. Plenty of options at $9.99 price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquaneat-Powerhead-Submersible-Undergravel-Hydroponics/dp/B07BQJKMGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1551154425&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=powerhead&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/SUN-Microsystems-JVP-101A-Maker-Suction/dp/B009YEEW2K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1551154425&sr=8-6&keywords=powerhead

• Like 3

I use my hand for mixing up to 5 gallons in a bucket. Smaller amounts can just shake it up in a carboy or something.

I use a wavemaker for larger 15 gallons batches. It's not the fastest but it's easy and I'm usually not in a rush when mixing big batches.

The reason I started just using my hand was simply to save rinsing any kind of tool or pump, knock yourself out though.

22 hours ago, Naekuh said:

salinity changes with water temp.  

Just for the record, that's not quite true. I get what you're saying tho.

Specific gravity, aka density, changes with water temp. That's the 1.025 number we shoot for. Salinity is measured in PPT and doesn't change with temps

11 minutes ago, FLARGUE said:

Just for the record, that's not quite true. I get what you're saying tho.

Specific gravity, aka density, changes with water temp. That's the 1.025 number we shoot for. Salinity is measured in PPT and doesn't change with temps

i should of restated that...

Your correct in total disolved solids will not be affected with overall temps unless we look at the two extreme's which is 5C and 99C, basically when water is the most dense, and the least before it hits boiling.

What i should of said is that most refractometers and hydrometers are calibrated at 75F, so not having water close to that, can lead to off readings which can swing as much as .02 which in the salt water world can be a difference between 1.024 vs 1.026 which i hear is a big swing to some some corals and inverts. 

• Like 1