ReefCleaners.org

Thanks for adding me :0)

Jferg

Hi guys I’m from ohio been out of the reef light for about 3 years . After looking at fish at a local fish store 3 weeks ago decided to get back into the hobbie. I purchased  the waterbox 20 gallon plus . Then 40 pounds of reef rock and 8 pounds of live sand. Purchased Drtims ammonia and bacteria supplement and going on my 2nd week of cycle. Running cobalt heater 100watt and the jebao ow-25 wave maker. Also purchased a RODI 50gpd running reef crystals as well. Have tds meter and just purchased a In line tds meter as well should be here tomorrow love Amazon.

• Like 2

Lps and sps and only 2 fish really don’t want to do clowns I like the psedcromis (pink) but they have been a lil agressive I the  past and with a open tank I’m sure the thing will take a jump in due time. I’d like to do coral only but need something to keep things in check. We sold our house 3 years ago and I left my 55 gallon built into the wall like a picture frame tank there naturally the buyers wanted it. 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Jferg!

Neat built in 55gal tank, did you build it yourself back then? Was it fish only with live rock or did you also keep coral?

You mentioned maybe doing coral only with this tank, that’s not such a crazy idea. Fish can be more difficult than coral in many ways, I’d argue. You could always add them later, of course, but I think starting with coral can be more rewarding in the beginning. 

• Like 2

Yea me and my father in law finished my basement . Theater room etc. Yea mainly the base rock is what I buy tried live rock from Fuji that stuff is a royal pain if you ask me . Stunk the house up plus hitchhikers all over the place did give me a heck of a cycle though. That tank ran ice cap ballast and 2x250 Xm metal halides. The technology just wasn’t like it is today with the leds. Had a hammer coral that grew from 2 heads to 4 heads brain coral mushrooms. Then I put a flaming angel in the tank and she picked then to death after of about 4 years of growing. That tank that you see there I had in my office while I finished the basment. Had porcupine puffer Picasso trigger and lion fish starting out. Loved the Picasso trigger their  like dogs in the water. Friend got a 150 gallon and I was going the reef route so I gave them to him after he cycled and he managed to kill them :0( then he proceeded to a giant emperor angel pink spoted stingray and lost them as well . Seems like he all ways had problems trickle filter bioballs . 

• Like 1