inTank Media Baskets

Do I need to run the pump constantly during cycling?

darndamsel

6 hours ago, mbrownshoes said:

Well I have my new pump and it's much quieter 🙂 

Is it possible to add .... anything during the cycling process? A crab, or snail or something to look at?

I wouldn’t add livestock during the cycle, but I would add a good product like BioSpira that adds beneficial bacteria to your tank so it cycles faster and you can add your livestock sooner.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:04 PM, mbrownshoes said:

Also, if you know of any good forum articles about cycling or beginning in general please pass on the link. Thanks, folks are so helpful to noobies here!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

Read and understand this entire thread please. The nitrogen cycle isn't something that happens just once in the beginning to get your tank ready for fish, it's a cycle, an ongoing process and you need to understand it. From the looks of the questions you're asking you have a lot of reading to do and you're already way behind the curve because you started the tank before understanding these things. If I were you, until you understand these things don't be in a rush to start stocking this tank. You are likely facing coming algae problems in the near future and that's normal for a tank to go through. But it's going to be a ton more stressful if your tank is packed with a 1000 dollars in corals because you were in such a hurry to make it look like TOTM. Those tanks are almost all at least 1.5 years old and look that way from patience and know how. When I started out last year it was a complete disaster and I lost a lot of money in corals because of my impatience.  It was 100% attributed to rushing things and not fully understanding and comprehending what I read. After you are very familiar with that thread (which also covers water testing topics as well). You need to familiarize yourself with how to properly maintenance your tank and keep it clean. You are the best member of your Clean up Crew always remember that. After that you need to familiarize yourself with the basic water chemistry threads here on Nano Reef. Once your tank is cycled I'd say get a Clean up Crew and ONE fish and for the next month or two just get into a habit of good maintenance.Then start stocking corals. There is no rush 

• Like 2

Thanks. I have been reading and have a month to learn so I'm not too stressed about being 'behind the curve'. I'm not afraid to ask questions, such as even though I understand the cycling process requires time and it can be harmful to fish, are there any organisms that are ammonia resistant? I'm a scientist and know nature is incredibly diverse, and there are always exceptions. I was simply asking if anyone knows of any.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, mbrownshoes said:

Also, if you know of any good forum articles about cycling or beginning in general please pass on the link. 

ReefGoat has some great advice above. If I were you I'd read as much as you can to get a solid foundation of the saltwater/reef hobby. Google is a great source of information.

Advice: Don't rely on anyone but yourself. You wouldn't drive a car if you didn't know how to operate it, so why would you start a saltwater reef tank with out the proper education and know how? Remember, these animals are depending on us for their survival. We owe it to them to provide the best environment that we can for them.

Your going to make mistakes in this hobby, it inevitable. You just can't make decisions blindly without understanding why, or the consequences of your actions? I hope you further educate yourself with a nice solid foundation in this hobby. Without a solid foundation (in anything) things will start to collapse and crumble. I want you to be successful, that's why I'm writing this to you. This hobby is hard enough, please don't just dive right in and "figure things out as you go". It will be an expensive and frustrating journey and lesson for you. Save yourself the trouble and aggravation.

There are a ton of books, internet articles, magazines, ect. The information is out there for the taking. It just takes a little effort and time. I guarantee, it with be worth it to you. 

8 minutes ago, KISReef said:

You wouldn't drive a car if you didn't know how to operate it, so why would you start a saltwater reef tank with out the proper education and know how? 

As I tell young scientists, 'there are no stupid questions'. If other's want to make assumptions, fine, but there's no better way to get an education than asking for help 🙂

5 minutes ago, mbrownshoes said:

As I tell young scientists, 'there are no stupid questions'. If other's want to make assumptions, fine, but there's no better way to get an education than asking for help 🙂

Your taking this the wrong way. When you post a statement like  and I quote "Also, if you know of any good forum articles about cycling or beginning in general please pass on the link." 

That's a very lazy and uneducated statement.

1 hour ago, KISReef said:

Your taking this the wrong way. When you post a statement like  and I quote "Also, if you know of any good forum articles about cycling or beginning in general please pass on the link." 

That's a very lazy and uneducated statement.

How so? Helpful links were posted in response. I could comb the internet but I have a feeling there are probably good articles which distill a lot of research that's been done. I was asked by someone recently if I knew of any good resources for learning data science. I did and shared them (rather than telling them they were lazy and uneducated). I thank the folks who have shared their knowledge here. 

I don't want to get in a back and fourth with you. You need to reread the posts above, and (just) maybe you will come to some sort resolution within yourself. I suggest you read it slowly so you can digest it better. What you really need is a mentor.

I feel like your wasting my time now. I wish you good luck and success in your journey.