ReefCleaners.org

Do I need to run the pump constantly during cycling?

darndamsel

HI there,

I just add the water to my live sand and rock in my IM fusion 20 tank and turned on the pump and heater to begin cycling. However, (as you might have heard) the stock pump is really loud and headache inducing. I've ordered another one but do I have to keep the stock on for the few days before the new one arrives, or will the cycling process be fine if I turn it off (at least while we're in the living room with it)?

THanks

that_one_brodie

From what I know you have to keep the pump on. That way the beneficial bacteria doesn't die. If the pump isn't on then there is no filtration or water movement for the bacteria. I would just keep the pump off for now and turn it back on after you replace the stock pump. What you could do is just dose ammonia now and let it sit there. Not sure how much that would do for the cycling process. 

1 hour ago, that_one_brodie said:

From what I know you have to keep the pump on. That way the beneficial bacteria doesn't die. If the pump isn't on then there is no filtration or water movement for the bacteria. I would just keep the pump off for now and turn it back on after you replace the stock pump. What you could do is just dose ammonia now and let it sit there. Not sure how much that would do for the cycling process. 

Okay, thanks I might just turn it off for a few hours in the eve and otherwise run it. Damn, it's loud! For cycling I'm using live sand and added 20lbs of Carib south sea base rock. Was thinking of just cycling with that setup and not adding anything to further speed it up. But who know I might get impatient 🙂

Are you using any media in the rear chambers for biological filtration? If not, then move the heater to the display area and circulate the water with a powerhead (if you have one available) until the new pump arrives.

15 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

Are you using any media in the rear chambers for biological filtration? If not, then move the heater to the display area and circulate the water with a powerhead (if you have one available) until the new pump arrives.

No, no media yet. Do I need biological filtration at this point? There's the live sand so I was thinking that was the bio filtration. I don't have a powerhead. Good point thought, if I move the pump to the main tank I could probably position it to be quieter. 

Your liverock is the bio filter.

Carbon and gloss can be used during cycling, floss being a good option.

Yes the pump must be run 24/7, it's your filtration method and the water sitting in the back going stagnant will lead to issues. 

Pumps need a breaking in period, they get quieter as they are in use.

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Your liverock is the bio filter.

Carbon and gloss can be used during cycling, floss being a good option.

Yes the pump must be run 24/7, it's your filtration method and the water sitting in the back going stagnant will lead to issues. 

Pumps need a breaking in period, they get quieter as they are in use.

I have the filter socks on at the moment. I'll try and leave it on and hopefully it becomes more quiet. 

Was thinking I could cover the back part of the tank where the pump is during the day (so not to disturb my wife who works from home) with a blanket and move the heater to the main tank (so there's no fire hazard).

Unless the blanket is on the heater there should be no issue.

The heater should be in the chamber where the water level doesn't evaporate so it stays emerged at all times.

What kind of noise is this? 

Is it just the vibriations oscillating through the glass? Or is it the water flow that’s making you crazy? 

You could use some neoprene under the pump...buy a cheap yoga mat or something similar cut it to fit under the pump base the will definitely help to displace some of the vibrations 

On 2/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, mbrownshoes said:

HI there,

I just add the water to my live sand and rock in my IM fusion 20 tank and turned on the pump and heater to begin cycling. However, (as you might have heard) the stock pump is really loud and headache inducing. I've ordered another one but do I have to keep the stock on for the few days before the new one arrives, or will the cycling process be fine if I turn it off (at least while we're in the living room with it)?

THanks

You need to oxygenate the water for the aerobic bacteria. I would leave the pump on and circulate the water and keep the flow moving. Invest in some ear plugs for the time being, or go down to your LFS and by a cheap quiet pump. Or, drain the back sump and use a air stone (if you have one handy) in the main tank along with your biological filter media.

3 minutes ago, mbrownshoes said:

Is there any rush to start doing the water tests or can I wait a few days?

Nope, no rush at all. I was just thinking about your pump. Try cutting a piece of sponge and put it underneath it. Hopefully that will quiet it down? Worth a shot.

• Like 1

If the noise gets really loud for your liking, I'd throw some thick blankets or a sleeping bag over the tank for the time being. Hopefully, that will muff the sound until your new pump arrives in a couple days. 

12 minutes ago, mbrownshoes said:

I'm thinking of adding  a shrimp for a few days to get the cycle going. Any thoughts on that?

You can do that if you'd like. Some people use that to start the cycle. IMO, I'd just use Ammonium Chloride (see link below for more info).

https://www.marinedepot.com/Ammonium_Chloride_Solution_for_Fishless_Cycling_4oz_Dr._Tim_s_Aquatics_Water_Treatment_Conditioner_Additives_Supplements-Dr._Tim_s_Aquatics-DQ8311-FIADWT-vi.html

Hope this link below answers some of your questions about the nitrogen cycle.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+cycle+a+saltwater+aquarium&docid=607999657875931811&mid=E144B2BD231BC41C9A92E144B2BD231BC41C9A92&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

One more thing. Leave your lights off, unless you like to look at algae or don't mind it.

• Like 1

Well I have my new pump and it's much quieter 🙂 

Is it possible to add .... anything during the cycling process? A crab, or snail or something to look at?

3 hours ago, mbrownshoes said:

Well I have my new pump and it's much quieter 🙂 

Is it possible to add .... anything during the cycling process? A crab, or snail or something to look at?

I wouldn't, it's not good exposing livestock to ammonia.