ReefCleaners.org

Corals that will sting Palys?

IamJoHo

Are there any corals that will sting and kill brown/green palys? I have a little palsy issue that came in with some live rock. I was going to get rid of them one by one with some kalkwasser but was also thinking that there might be a coral I could place in the middle of them and it would sting and kill the palys. 

33 minutes ago, IamJoHo said:

Are there any corals that will sting and kill brown/green palys? I have a little palsy issue that came in with some live rock. I was going to get rid of them one by one with some kalkwasser but was also thinking that there might be a coral I could place in the middle of them and it would sting and kill the palys. 

Can't you just smother them to death with super glue? Would be a lot more easier.

• Like 1

Umm maybe something really mean like hydnophora coral.

Ofc you might next be asking how to keep that coral under control. Its got one mean sting. 

There was once an old lady who swallowed a fly....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, IamJoHo said:

My experience is the ugliest thing will always grow the fastest so I’d deal with them soon.  

Super glue and kalk should be a good start. 

14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

My experience is the ugliest thing will always grow the fastest so I’d deal with them soon.  

Super glue and kalk should be a good start. 

Definitely going to get some kalk. What should I do with the glue?

12 minutes ago, IamJoHo said:

Definitely going to get some kalk. What should I do with the glue?

How many are we talking? If not so many you can just cover over them with super glue........smother them to death. 

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

How many are we talking? If not so many you can just cover over them with super glue........smother them to death. 

I dunno 20-30. They are on that back rock. 

CA44F8A8-8004-4B0D-A227-6BC138C69C22.jpeg

F44982B9-5FBD-457A-876E-7C6D190BB1D0.jpeg

Green implosions. Trust me...no coral can out compete them. 

They tend to grow out of control in tanks and will wander around and don't stay put like other palys. I've seen then attach to Acans and other LPS and tick them off. They'll even butt up against galaxy corals and those things have nasty sweepers.

The good news is they aren't stingers.....unlike some other varities of wild palys that are jacked full of paly toxin and will screw your tank up if you try and kill them.

Use kalk paste / vinegar and an insulin syringe. Take out a few every day until gone.

5 minutes ago, blasterman said:

Green implosions. Trust me...no coral can out compete them. 

They tend to grow out of control in tanks and will wander around and don't stay put like other palys. I've seen then attach to Acans and other LPS and tick them off. They'll even butt up against galaxy corals and those things have nasty sweepers.

The good news is they aren't stingers.....unlike some other varities of wild palys that are jacked full of paly toxin and will screw your tank up if you try and kill them.

Use kalk paste / vinegar and an insulin syringe. Take out a few every day until gone.

I've had green implosions before, and I'm pretty sure they're green. These ones look like the ugly brown sort that also grow fast and have palytoxin. 

Green and brown implosion palys or button polyps are the same critter. Just that one prefers brighter light. They are also, as far as documented not dangerous as far as palytoxin. Implosion palys have dark, defined stripes and very 'spikey' skirts. They are a a nuisance, but don't engage in chemical warfare. I nuke em with a syringe and vinegar and no ill effects.

The dangerous one are in the article as follows.  I've seen entire reef tanks rendered a dead white void over night because a rock or debris fell into a colony of these. Even the water looks crystal clear because everything organic has been killed off, including bacteria and algae. Palytoxin is like a soft corals version of a neutron bomb. Kills everything off in the surrounding area so it can quickly occupy it. Problem is reef stores sell them.

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

1 hour ago, blasterman said:

Green and brown implosion palys or button polyps are the same critter. Just that one prefers brighter light. They are also, as far as documented not dangerous as far as palytoxin. Implosion palys have dark, defined stripes and very 'spikey' skirts. They are a a nuisance, but don't engage in chemical warfare. I nuke em with a syringe and vinegar and no ill effects.

The dangerous one are in the article as follows.  I've seen entire reef tanks rendered a dead white void over night because a rock or debris fell into a colony of these. Even the water looks crystal clear because everything organic has been killed off, including bacteria and algae. Palytoxin is like a soft corals version of a neutron bomb. Kills everything off in the surrounding area so it can quickly occupy it. Problem is reef stores sell them.

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

I really enjoyed that read. I have been poisoned by purple death palys a few times (my fav color is purple ugh..). The tingling lips...headache..muscle aches...and cough are my exact symptoms each time.

Good to know everything else I have is safe and my magician palys are actually zoas.

I guess I will take my purple deaths and isolate them on a rock so I don't need to try and frag them off as I don't care for getting skin cancer. Have to re-home them before I have a kid too.