Pod Your Reef

Fluval 13.5 build

Joeymclovin

JustJonnyRocket

I also recently got a neat little eco for myself, and I recommend the intabk media basket for chamber one, that’s how I’ve got mine set up. I’ve also upgraded the lighting to an AIPrime and the lighting mount baskiy blocks me from putting any sort of basket in chamber 2 ☹️

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JustJonnyRocket said:

I also recently got a neat little eco for myself, and I recommend the intabk media basket for chamber one, that’s how I’ve got mine set up. I’ve also upgraded the lighting to an AIPrime and the lighting mount baskiy blocks me from putting any sort of basket in chamber 2 ☹️

i did wonder about this,

can you not simply clip the bracket over the top of the intank for chamber 2? granted it's a complete pain in the ass when ever you want to take the basket out but that's maybe once or twice every other week?

• 3 weeks later...
Joeymclovin

Quick update everyone, I’m battling some red hair algae lately and I’ve been trying different things but it just doesn’t go away, I bought an emerald crab and two turbo snails to try to help the problem and it made a huge diffence over night I think my next step is the do my water change and try to clean as much of it out and then have a black out for a day or two I’ve read this works really well any experience? 

Joeymclovin
On 3/11/2019 at 6:41 AM, Mazzy21 said:

Congrats on the new nem!! I just got one too at the swap over the weekend but this one is a walker! He is doing good attaching right away when I touched his foot to a rock but he's been traveling ever since. I am pretty positive it's because of the Fluval being small and my equip being a little forceful in such a small tank - I have turned the MP10 down to 40% but it's still displacing sand and my big leather when it pulses, and my nem is small and clearly doesn't want to be badgered in a heavy current. He does bubble each time he stops for a few so I'm happy about that. I've gotten bubblers and non-bubblers in the past and this guy seems to be a bubbler. Looks like yours easily attached too and may have already found a good home! Good Luck!!!

Yea it seems like a good spot and he’s enjoying it when the daylights are on it extends and it has definitely grown in size.

Nice looking tank! It's pretty easy to fabricate a basket out of egg crate. I always do that instead of buying the overpriced acrylic. Save yourself $50.

Are you still running just the stock pump? Sometimes, not always, clearing detritus and higher flow can reduce algae issues. Most add a powerhead. The jebao ow-10 I got is nice but decently high flow at lower settings. The koralia nano is pretty cheap and very popular.

Edit: I see you added a koralia. I've got my powerhead pointed up mounted underneath the overflow. This probably is a bit disruptive to my surface skimming but seems like the best place I could find.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to chime in on the media basket discussion, after not being pleased with the intank baskets and trying the egg crate media basket, I did a lot of research and found a company called D-Flow-Designs.  The 3D print stuff and lo and behold, they have a wonderfully designed media baskets for the FLuval evo 13.5 that appear to maximize flow.  I bought one for both chambers, I'll update when they arrive as to their effectiveness.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MKolaide said:

Just wanted to chime in on the media basket discussion, after not being pleased with the intank baskets and trying the egg crate media basket, I did a lot of research and found a company called D-Flow-Designs.  The 3D print stuff and lo and behold, they have a wonderfully designed media baskets for the FLuval evo 13.5 that appear to maximize flow.  I bought one for both chambers, I'll update when they arrive as to their effectiveness.  

please do... they look decent. I'd like to know how the flow compares to the InTank baskets

I'd also be interest to know how they fit in terms of height / coverage of the return 'vents'. I think the intank one sits a bit high and therefore raises the water level in the tank but keeps the back chambers low

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well... I'll provide my own update for anyone watching this thread... I got the D-Flow parts, and they're a huge improvement to the InTank ones. The flow through the back is much improved, and the actual tank level is excellent. Also the RFG is a bit improvement from stock. Best part is they're a fraction of the cost of the InTank stuff.. Aesthetically, they're a little behind the InTank range, but they're in a "non-visible" area, so who cares right?

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
Joeymclovin
On 10/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, afcajax73 said:

well... I'll provide my own update for anyone watching this thread... I got the D-Flow parts, and they're a huge improvement to the InTank ones. The flow through the back is much improved, and the actual tank level is excellent. Also the RFG is a bit improvement from stock. Best part is they're a fraction of the cost of the InTank stuff.. Aesthetically, they're a little behind the InTank range, but they're in a "non-visible" area, so who cares right?

Wow I totally forgot about this forum, but I ended up going with the intank in chamber one, and I really like it, I never got around to the d-flow but I really like the intank. I also upgraded my light to the ai prime hd 16 Amd my coral love it so far!