Pod Your Reef

Apex Salinity Probe #s All Over The Place

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

I have tried everything to get this Probe to act right.  I have calibrated multiple times, made sure no bubbles in it, etc.  I even bought a new Probe a couple of weeks ago thinking it was the Probe that was bad.  

The numbers are always spot on after I calibrate it but a day or 2 later and they are all over the place.  The readings will be anywhere from 40 to 25.  I don’t even care if the numbers are spot on accurate, I just want them to not jump all over the place. Anybody have ave any ideas on how to fix it?  It’s in my 25g lagoon in a Probe rack with the other apex probes.  All of the other probes work fine.

DFE76875-D739-4393-B25B-F60E3F59FB0B.thumb.png.cf91ed37468859ad6070b0de0bd786fc.png

Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, vegasgundog said:

Same here I just ignore it anymore

Yeah, I thought I got it working somewhat properly when my tank was running last year but since the reboot it’s been all over the place.   

I might just just have to ignore it.  I know people are always having issues with it being accurate compared to a refractometer, but I haven’t heard of many issues with it being all over the place.

Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Refractometer is always going to be best bet, but your can't even rely on apex as a fail safe say the ato goes crazy if the probe won't stay in one spot. 

Yeah, that’s the only thing I really want it for.  Like if the ato stays on for whatever reason.

Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Do you have the temp probe plugged into the PM2 and temperature compensation turned on?

Tom

I am not running an extra temp Probe, just the one it comes with.  I keep the temp comp at the 2.2.  

I have also tried just using the tank water to calibrate the Probe.  That doesn’t help keep the salinity readings consistent either.

Tom@HaslettMI
2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I am not running an extra temp Probe, just the one it comes with.  I keep the temp comp at the 2.2.  

I have also tried just using the tank water to calibrate the Probe.  That doesn’t help keep the salinity readings consistent either.

Is your temp probe plugged into the PM2 module or the APEX brain?  Or are you running the newer APEX?

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

My only guess would be some type of interference with the other wiring, but I feel like that would mess with the other probes as well and non of them ever act weird.

Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Is your temp probe plugged into the PM2 module or the APEX brain?  Or are you running the newer APEX?

I have the 2016+ apex.  All of the probes are plugged into the main thing.

ED7C3146-1320-486D-9662-27B22FE6736B.thumb.jpeg.195506b65f7043d781379e9f218d8a77.jpeg

Tom@HaslettMI
Just now, TILTON said:

I have the 2016+ apex.  All of the probes are plugged into the main thing.

Gotcha. I’m still Classic APEX with the PM2 module. 

Sounds like interference is the most likely culprit. Can you isolate the salinity probe wire to see if that helps?

Tom

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Gotcha. I’m still Classic APEX with the PM2 module. 

Sounds like interference is the most likely culprit. Can you isolate the salinity probe wire to see if that helps?

Tom

Yeah, I can try and move aside from the other wires, pretty cramped area though.  I am gonna move it to a different spot in the Probe rack and see if that helps.  I had it in a different spot before.  Maybe bubbles are getting in it or something.

I had this problem as well (Apex 2016).  I was told to run the wire far away from any other wires. I routed it away from everything else and that helped enormously.  Once in a while it goes crazy for a couple of hours but then comes back to where it typically is.  Not something I pay a lot of attention to since it is touchy.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, OldManSea said:

I had this problem as well (Apex 2016).  I was told to run the wire far away from any other wires. I routed it away from everything else and that helped enormously.  Once in a while it goes crazy for a couple of hours but then comes back to where it typically is.  Not something I pay a lot of attention to since it is touchy.

Thanks!  I am going to try and isolate it the best I can.  It’s actually resting on my light wiring right now and I know I can at least get it away from that.

Thrassian Atoll

So in the past 48 hours since I moved the Probe over to a different spot in my Probe rack and isolated the salinity probe wire, the numbers have been spot on.  After a week or so I’ll let you know if the numbers are still consistent.

BDC1824A-A33E-4313-BA96-A3683B44DF1C.thumb.png.d091a599c3b13ba6fdbc34f6cad7ea80.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

Salinity numbers have been reading perfectly over the past few weeks since I made the adjustments.  I am going to go ahead and say it’s working fine now.

A3906625-9B6C-4CCB-84E4-ED091BA39929.thumb.png.91c575cf8851eff4eac4df443da4e0a9.png

• Like 1

ooo just saw this post, was going to say it can't be near any pumps or wires but looks like you fixed it 👍

I think I may just sell mine and the ORP... cuz I really just don't care about either and I am turning into a clutter hater. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, OldManSea said:

Congrats!  Getting the wire away from all the others worked wonders for me as well.

Yup, that did the trick!

Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

ooo just saw this post, was going to say it can't be near any pumps or wires but looks like you fixed it 👍

I think I may just sell mine and the ORP... cuz I really just don't care about either and I am turning into a clutter hater. 

I am starting to get pretty cluttered with everything.  Going to be even worse when I have the trident shoved in my stand.  😂.   Orp is pretty worthless.  Reading about it makes it even more confusing.