ReefCleaners.org

NanoBox Gooseneck Removal

shaner014

Took a 15” gooseneck off a Tide last night. 

Took about out an hour and a half as it was my first time ever taking this light apart, all in all not difficult at all. Just need to be meticulous when disconnecting and reconnecting and know that the wires are thin and potentially brittle so treat them as such!

Random photo dump of the process.

**Take a picture of your wiring before removing! Note any like colors and label them with a small piece of tape. **

Drivers exposed:

CBECD1EB-396D-4AF5-B89F-524752945DDF.thumb.jpeg.e5f2523a19367270ca795d14a8a7cadc.jpeg

Wires disconnected. This requires a small flat head screw driver. These connections are not soldered.

43914A98-8AC8-4B0F-89D9-46AB657E9D11.thumb.jpeg.3ad526bee429fbd634d74045e5563e73.jpeg

Gooseneck disconnected. I used a rag and vice-grips around the gooseneck collar and gave a good twist. Make sure the gooseneck is straight when removing so the cords don’t twist and pull off the board.

E6397A2F-3B67-42F3-A9F6-6DC5C2E4897D.thumb.jpeg.bcd8d53c51650f2c059432fdc0d3070e.jpeg

Should I be doing this? 

E1BDC1EF-8470-4FE4-AADA-27E359D87513.thumb.jpeg.82c9b1cc1fe584b27fb1dc4d5513c01f.jpeg

Back together! The mints didn’t work in my first try. One of the cables pulled off the driver when I clamped the box back together. Easy fix! 

72CE5466-C3B2-4D17-BAA0-D776D426FA0D.thumb.jpeg.ab6be1b90108141fbf8afcd6278eeec8.jpeg

I used some some electrical tape around the sheathing at the light connection, I plan to get some black silicone and place a very minimal bead to further seal up that opening out of an abundance of caution. 

Thanks for such a great product @DaveFason

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Porkpie5000 said:

I'm thinking about going down this path. I'm curious how you are mounting it now.

Thanks!

I believe he is actually still using a gooseneck. 

6 hours ago, Porkpie5000 said:

I'm thinking about going down this path. I'm curious how you are mounting it now.

Thanks!

This particular tide I bought for a friend. He custom made a mount that attached to the top where the lid is. The wooden lid was removed. He has a radion gen 2 over a anemone tank and wanted more “pop”. I had been showing him all my nanobox lit tank pics and he jumped at the idea to use one as a spot light. His tank is built into a bar and had to get creative to position it unobtrusive.

5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I believe he is actually still using a gooseneck. 

I am still using the goose on the duo! I still can’t decide to hang it or not eventually lol. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shaner014 said:

This particular tide I bought for a friend. He custom made a mount that attached to the top where the lid is. The wooden lid was removed. He has a radion gen 2 over a anemone tank and wanted more “pop”. I had been showing him all my nanobox lit tank pics and he jumped at the idea to use one as a spot light. His tank is built into a bar and had to get creative to position it unobtrusive.

I am still using the goose on the duo! I still can’t decide to hang it or not eventually lol. 

I would love to see this. Send a photo if you ever have a chance. 

-Dave

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2019 at 2:11 PM, Porkpie5000 said:

Thanks for the instructions on this. I just swapped out the short gooseneck for the long one and everything went pretty smoothly!

Awesome! Glad Shane was able to guide you through easily. 😄

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to NanoBox Gooseneck Removal