Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can someone ID this freebie?

campbell_wat

Hey all, got this huuuuge colony as a freebie on some live rock (5$ for the hunk of it). I have no other corals in my tank and wasn't really planning on keeping coral, but here we are... Does anyone know the exact species of this (looks like a type of xenia), as well as care requirements (ie do I need to feed the little guys...) THANKS!

IMG_5635.JPG

Gourami Swami

Looks like anthelia to me, type of xenia. You don't need to feed them, they seem to grow like weeds with 0 special treatment at all for me. I find mine like a good amount of flow, or the hands don't do their grasp-y motion

2 hours ago, Gourami Swami said:

Looks like anthelia to me, type of xenia. You don't need to feed them, they seem to grow like weeds with 0 special treatment at all for me. I find mine like a good amount of flow, or the hands don't do their grasp-y motion

I have a mini 5$ amazon "powerhead" giving them direct flow, and they seem to swing in unison... if I turn it off they go completely limp however, I mean like wet paper towel limp. Good thing or bad thing or is it just how they act? 

Any way to tell if they're dead? Will they shrivel up or just kinda sit there and waste away? I have an emerald crab who might enjoy the little treat but who knows...

They need the flow. Will die without it. You could try to adjust it and find a day l sweet spot where they get just enough to be happy, you'll know when the tops open and close repeatedly. They will melt away if they are dead. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

They need the flow. Will die without it. You could try to adjust it and find a day l sweet spot where they get just enough to be happy, you'll know when the tops open and close repeatedly. They will melt away if they are dead. 

i thought not all xenia's pulse.. as stated by this other member..

7 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

i thought not all xenia's pulse.. as stated by this other member..

i believe these are anthelia, which do not pulse but rather "wave"... just wondering on the specifics on their behavior from someone who has kept them rather than just articles....