Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Prime hd

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a mars aqua led light...don’t know how old it is but it works fine....if you pay shipping I’ll send it to you for free...that will go along way to a ro/do setup...pm me if interested 

IMG_20180705_132916385_HDR_zps9vu3xllw.j

• Like 4

hang it or jury rig a goose neck mount if you need to.  🙂

i think there are universal mounts you can get like what the Current USA Orbit uses that you co7ld hang it from.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Friendly said:

hang it or jury rig a goose neck mount if you need to.  🙂

i think there are universal mounts you can get like what the Current USA Orbit uses that you co7ld hang it from.

But I can’t set it on the glass?

no, it needs to be suspended to get the light spread your tank needs.

if someone doesn’t chime in, sent an email to Marine Depot or Bulk Reef Supply for suggestions. there are likely some sort if ‘universal’ options you can consider.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Well I’m getting the one for free, and I want to cover the shadows just to be safe. I want to have a back up just in case it isn’t enough.

I don’t think you’ll need both...the light I’m sending puts out quite a lot of light..if your looking for ways to hang lights and on a budget check out Home Depot and Lowe’s...Id look at plant hangers and shelf brackets ...maybe not the prettiest way but cheap and if done right plenty strong...

• Like 2

Rodi unit- the one you choose will depend on your water quality and if its treated with chlorine, chloramine, or both.

I run 5 stage, sediment, carbon, chloramine carbon, membrane, di. Because my water is treated with both, is hard water, and high tds. I change filters every 4 months. 

Still cheaper than distilled and more convenient.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
37 minutes ago, Privateer said:

I don’t think you’ll need both...the light I’m sending puts out quite a lot of light..if your looking for ways to hang lights and on a budget check out Home Depot and Lowe’s...Id look at plant hangers and shelf brackets ...maybe not the prettiest way but cheap and if done right plenty strong...

Yea, the viparspectra that I’m also getting is coming with a bunch of hangers, so I may just hang both. 

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, the viparspectra that I’m also getting is coming with a bunch of hangers, so I may just hang both. 

really, man, now you want two?  the viparspectra (165W) that @Privateer is sending you, based on rated power, is more than twice as powerful as the DX (~70W) you had, and probably 5 times more than your original Fluval light bar (~30 W). 

My question again is, why are you in such a rush?  Have you done any other researches beyond these spurts of questions on NR?  Do you understand the rated power of these light fixtures mean?  While rated power is not directly correlated with light output, it's an easy starter's gauge.  Do you understand the benefits of having multiple color leds and how it impact your tank?  Have you looked into other tanks that have had proven success with your prospective light(s)?  again, from a few of the recent pics/posts you posted, your issue is beyond light, my friend.  slowwwww dowwwwwnnnn.  and good luck.          

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

really, man, now you want two?  the viparspectra (165W) that @Privateer is sending you, based on rated power, is more than twice as powerful as the DX (~70W) you had, and probably 5 times more than your original Fluval light bar (~30 W). 

My question again is, why are you in such a rush?  Have you done any other researches beyond these spurts of questions on NR?  Do you understand the rated power of these light fixtures mean?  While rated power is not directly correlated with light output, it's an easy starter's gauge.  Do you understand the benefits of having multiple color leds and how it impact your tank?  Have you looked into other tanks that have had proven success with your prospective light(s)?  again, from a few of the recent pics/posts you posted, your issue is beyond light, my friend.  slowwwww dowwwwwnnnn.  and good luck.          

I bought the one viparspectra myself for 90, bc I don’t want dx. But privateer is being very generous and is giving me his mars aqua for cheap. I’m getting it to have a backup if something goes wrong or if I may possibly need more light. The only reason that I bought those first 2 lights in the first place was bc I asked my LFS and they pretty much lied to me so they could sell the lights. I’m not buying from them again. I fixed most of my other problems, my only other problem is that I still have a tiny bit of cyano that is just unattractive. I’m trying to wipe cyano out from my tank, it’s almost there. I think before when I didn’t have the proper lighting, that made the cyano spread like crazy. Ever since changing lights tho, the cyano has ground to a halt. I only have a little bit on the glass and that’s all. And no, if you could explain what you meant about the rated output and having multiple color leds, that would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I bought the one viparspectra myself for 90, bc I don’t want dx. But privateer is being very generous and is giving me his mars aqua for cheap. I’m getting it to have a backup if something goes wrong or if I may possibly need more light. The only reason that I bought those first 2 lights in the first place was bc I asked my LFS and they pretty much lied to me so they could sell the lights. I’m not buying from them again. I fixed most of my other problems, my only other problem is that I still have a tiny bit of cyano that is just unattractive. I’m trying to wipe cyano out from my tank, it’s almost there. I think before when I didn’t have the proper lighting, that made the cyano spread like crazy. Ever since changing lights tho, the cyano has ground to a halt. I only have a little bit on the glass and that’s all. And no, if you could explain what you meant about the rated output and having multiple color leds, that would be appreciated. 

I'm not the lighting expert but I know enough to keep my tank happy.

rated power - just like a light bulb in your house, the higher the wattage/watts rating, the brighter it gets.  But once it gets to certain level, you'll need to be careful as not to bleach (burn) your coral.  luckily, I believe both of those fixtures would allow you to dial down light intensity. 

Colored led's - partly aesthetic, partly useful for corals. Online vendors not only take photos of their coral with high blue's because it makes the colors "popped", but it also helps in their growing operation, corals tend to grow better with blue spectrum on higher intensity than the white and other colors.  again, your two new fixtures should allow you to tune the white and blue separately.  One big proponent of blue light for growth and color is Jason Fox, you can look up his youtube video about his coral "farm" in his basement. Other vendors also run a lot of blues.  

If you wanna learn the in-depth version about lighting, you're gonna have to comb through the lighting section of NR yourself - there a few choice/chosen ones that got pinned on top.  Lighting is probably one of the most oft-debated topics in the hobby, if not the most.

Seriously though, read other topics and threads, it'll broaden your understanding because people may have already answered questions that you're not even thinking about right now.  Usually a few posts in you'll know whether or not it'll be a useful thread to learn from.  I, personally, learn from interacting with others, by following their tank journal, ask them questions, and observed their techniques and their results.  go read through the tank journals of people that had won tank of the month, for examples.  There are many ways to learn in this hobby.  Asking question is certainly encouraged around here, but people can better provide guidance if they understand where you are in this hobby's long learning journey.  (we all know you're just starting, but what is your base knowledge about reef tank....?)  That is why I had recommended you started a tank journal.  People like pictures, put them in there, especially when you have questions - show your problem, explain events/things that led up to it.  I hope you get what I am saying, just want to help you see the big picture.  I've been reefing since 2012, so my reefing years are young compared some of other ppl on here - it's not a short-term goal hobby.     

Did you already buy a Viparspectr? Can you cancel? I think hanging both is overkill , and you’d be better off saving that money for a ro/first unit. BTW, Bulk reef supply has basic ro/do units that work well, I’m using a 4 stage and it couldn’t be any easier.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Privateer said:

Did you already buy a Viparspectr? Can you cancel? I think hanging both is overkill , and you’d be better off saving that money for a ro/first unit. BTW, Bulk reef supply has basic ro/do units that work well, I’m using a 4 stage and it couldn’t be any easier.

I already bought the viparspectra, but it was used, so just in case something happens I could use the mars aqua.

Those black boxes are very powerful. One of those on a 29 gallon would be more than enough for SPS in my opinion. I run a Reef Breeders Photon V2 24" on a 3ft tank. Which I am able to do because my scape is really only about 24" and it worked out perfect. My light is basically just a fancy black box that is more slim with upgraded LED's. It's still a Chinese light as far as I know. It's just marketed here in the USA and comes with an actual warranty. I could fry everything in my tank if I cranked this thing up. It's powerful..............My point is just because they're cheap don't underestimate the power, you'll fry your corals. With that said, I agree with Micoastreefing you're all over the place and don't seem very well thought out. Just slow down a bit. 

165w like I said before will need to be dimmed on a 29g. 2 will be overkill.

Wattage is deceiving with leds. Just look at the difference from regular light bulb to an led bulb. A 14w is equivalent to a 40w reg. Bulb.

It's very easy to fry corals with leds and it can happen within brs to over night.

In the lighting section there are a few sticky threads with lots of info on led bulb colours, individual importance. 

Understanding spectrum, schedules, wattage, etc is very important.

Light can fuel cyano but it's not the cause of cyano. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

165w like I said before will need to be dimmed on a 29g. 2 will be overkill.

Wattage is deceiving with leds. Just look at the difference from regular light bulb to an led bulb. A 14w is equivalent to a 40w reg. Bulb.

It's very easy to fry corals with leds and it can happen within brs to over night.

In the lighting section there are a few sticky threads with lots of info on led bulb colours, individual importance. 

Understanding spectrum, schedules, wattage, etc is very important.

Light can fuel cyano but it's not the cause of cyano. 

Well I’ll give the lighting section a look. And I’m only getting the other light for a backup. Most of my problems have already been fixed, including cyano. I only have a little bit left on the glass and sand. It has gotten way better.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Ethan...you know what the second lights lets you do? start a second tank! make one for a Mantis Shrimp or something!  😉

Actually I didn’t even think about that, I would love to do that. I have an extra 10 gallon, could that work?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Friendly said:

yep, 10 gal is generally the recommended minimum for a Mantis 🙂

That would be awesome, but where can I buy a mantis shrimp?