inTank Media Baskets

Adding livestock to a smaller nano

scubed

Hi there fellow reefers.

I've been looking for information on ways to add livestock to a smaller nano. I have a fluval 13.5 and when ever I get new livestock, acclimatize them and  use the water for dipping, by the end of it I need to make new water to replace the water I removed from the display tank.  Is this normal? Am I affecting the new livestock by adding fresh mixed saltwater? 

Currently I don't QT, cause of space and my livestock isn't expensive at all. 

I am wondering if I should knowingly do a water change before ( just water not, sucking up sandbed) keep collected water in a bucked and run circulation and heater. Then the next day when I get the livestock, I use the water from the bucket to acclimatize as well as water for dipping.

Got any tips?

I only float the bag in the tank to temp acclimate, then I add the fish.

I only "drip" acclimate sensitive items like shrimp and I don't do the actual drip acclimation. I get a cup of water from my tank and slowly add it to a container with the shrimp and bagged water. Then I catch the shrimp and add them.

I highly recommend qt because 1 fish has a parasite and all will need treating in a qt tank and then your display has to go fishless for 8 weeks.

Setting up a bucket or a 5g tank now is far easier than having to get a larger container and doing treatments on all fish.

I only dip my corals and i have never used a lot of water for my frags. 2 small Tupperware containers, 1 for the coral dip, 1 for the rinse.

There is no need really to do a waterchange before or after. 

• Like 1