Pod Your Reef

Seeding Canister Filter for Bookcase Reef

DBladen

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new nano tank in the Aqua Oak Bookcase aquarium. The tank 114L and fairly narrow, which will be a challenge to 'scape but should be interesting! As you can probably see from the image attached there is no room for a sump or and HOB equipment so I have settled on using a canister filter. I understand they require a lot of maintenance but I feel this is the best choice for this tank. I also have an established 250L reef tank, to that end is there any reason why I shouldn't by the canister filter early and hook it up to the sump of my main tank to seed it? I intend to use Caribsea life rock so shouldn't have any die off and this will hopefully speed up the cycle.

Also would anyone be interested in me doing a tank build thread?

IMG_20190217_130835.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Hi @DBladen! That's a handsome looking built in aquarium, is there any room on the side or rear to run the lines for the canister filter below? Definitely a tight squeeze! 

Seeding biological media in the filter with your existing tank is a good idea, I can't see any harm in that plan.

Definitely start an aquarium journal for the project, this will be neat to see. I always love watching unique shaped tanks transform into reefs.

1 hour ago, DBladen said:

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new nano tank in the Aqua Oak Bookcase aquarium. The tank 114L and fairly narrow, which will be a challenge to 'scape but should be interesting! As you can probably see from the image attached there is no room for a sump or and HOB equipment so I have settled on using a canister filter. I understand they require a lot of maintenance but I feel this is the best choice for this tank. I also have an established 250L reef tank, to that end is there any reason why I shouldn't by the canister filter early and hook it up to the sump of my main tank to seed it? I intend to use Caribsea life rock so shouldn't have any die off and this will hopefully speed up the cycle.

Also would anyone be interested in me doing a tank build thread?

IMG_20190217_130835.jpg

Looks nice!  Why not try filterless since room is an issue?

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys 😁

There is a gap along the top of the tank at the rear and a hole cut into one of the cupboards underneath so there is no issue with running pipes up and down. The tank also has a glass lid with gaps for pipes and cables etc. It's actually a really well designed tank.

I've removed the wooden lid/shelf above the tank to allow better airflow to my LED's as its an old fixture and kicks out a fair amount of heat. 

I did consider filterless but my first two tanks were filterless nano's and I always struggled with algae blooms. I'll give it some more thought as I have more experience and understanding about managing a tank than I did back then. I suppose I could start filterless then if necessary add one later. I do have a spare reactor that I could use if I needed to run carbon or something. I'm planning on keeping the stocking light anyway, probably just a pair of snowflake clowns or something similar.

I'll definitely do a tank thread, I'm hoping to get started next month.

Cheers,

Dave

IMG_20190217_130843.jpg

IMG_20190220_174804.jpg

• Like 1