Pod Your Reef

Modify Flow on IM MIghtyJet

shaner014

Hey!

I have an extra IM MightyJet Desktop 326. The pump is DC controllable, and has 8-9 different flow rates, however, I want to modify to be even lower flow. I see a few viable options for doing this... 

1. Cut 3 of 6 impeller blades off. (Or some variation of this)

2. Restrict flow into the pump by blocking off some portion of the intake

3. Restrict flow out of the pump by using a ball valve on the output side of the return line

What would you do?

I already ordered an inline locline ball valve to try on the output side. It was $10 from BRS and has no permanent effect, so if that works out.. great! But, are any of the other options better?

Thanks!

Edit to add: There are 3 included barbs for the output line of the pump included, 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". I am currently using the 5/8" output barb because that fits my flex return line the best, but am considering downsizing to see if that has a noticeable reduction as well.  

• Like 1

I've been noticing this too, since we're essentially running an identical setup.   It's just a bit too much flow.  My initial thought was to possibly run a reactor w/ "T" to a + ball valve to adjust flow through it.  Not sure where I would put it, running out of room quickly in the back.  Just put water in yesterday.   Running the 5/8s as well, I'd be surprised if the 1/2 stays on the factory tubing w/ out a zip-tie or clamp.  I'll be keeping an eye on this. 

• Like 1

I actually went ahead and dropped to the 1/2, it is a much more acceptable return flow.  I used 2 zip-ties to secure it to the barb.  I can actually ramp it up quite.  I brought it up to 1.6-8 and that was about what it was w/ the 5/8 barb.

Edit: 2.2(sine)  gives a nice wave action

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Seanano said:

I actually went ahead and dropped to the 1/2, it is a much more acceptable return flow.  I used 2 zip-ties to secure it to the barb.  I can actually ramp it up quite.  I brought it up to 1.6-8 and that was about what it was w/ the 5/8 barb.

Edit: 2.2(sine)  gives a nice wave action

Hey! I have yet to mess with it too much, been tinkering with other things. The loc-line ball valve (1/2”) didn’t fit on the factory outlet, which is 15mm. 

I’m still running it at 1.1, but I actually have a 5/8ths two little fishes ball valve (which I’ll place just before the 90 degree outlet adapter on the return line) en route. Should be on the truck for delivery tomorrow. Amazon has them for like $5. Will report back!

Chris882003

I have the same setup. I emailed IM about this and this is what I got back from them. 

Hi Chris,

You can add a valve onto the pump if needed, but overtime it will hurt the pump. You are restricting the amount of water flow the pump produces which is creating back pressure.

5 hours ago, Chris882003 said:

I have the same setup. I emailed IM about this and this is what I got back from them. 

Hi Chris,

You can add a valve onto the pump if needed, but overtime it will hurt the pump. You are restricting the amount of water flow the pump produces which is creating back pressure.

I guess it depends how much you restrict it. Is using this in an AIO is very little head height or back pressure, so adding some would be no different than say adding 4 feet of height the water has to pump against gravity. 

That’s my take on that anyways. I may be off base. 

Thanks for adding in their response, I’m glad they at least responded to it!

• Like 1

Just a few notes. After a day w/ the 1/2 nozzle on.  I'm glad I switched it out.  It allows much more flexibility w/ flow adjustment as the tank fills up w/ corals.  I've settled on 1.4 for now.  May ramp it up if I can get one of those RFG nozzles on as well as to ensure good contact time for skimming once that's turned on.  It also became a little bit quieter.  And in the event it poops the bed it's on IM and not me.

• Like 2