Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo 20 Build Journal - New Beginning!

gregpxc

After nearly a decade of not having a tank I'm finally in a place financially to have one of reasonable size for my rental.

The Goods:

- Innovative Marine Fusion Nuvo 20

- Lightimetunnel 165w Wi-Fi Light

- NuvoSkim AIO Skimmer

- 2x InTank Media Basket

- 2x Hydor Koralia Nano 240

- Hydor Smart Wave Controller

- AutoAqua AWC*- ATO and Water Changes

- Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100w

- Sicce Syncra 1.0 Aquarium Pump (replaced stock return)

- 2x Innovative Marine Spin Stream

- Flipper Nano Magnet Cleaner

- Red Sea Test Kits

- Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer

- Seachem Purigen 

- Chemi Pure Blue

- South Ocean Filter Bag

- inTank Bonded Poly Filter Floss

To Be In Tank:

- Carib Sea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand

- 20-25 lb Live Rock (still need to pick it up)

Planned Stocking:

- Softies and Zoas (I think, I'm planning for mixed)

- Goby + Pistol Shrimp pair

- Designer Clown Pair

I'm still trying to decide whether I'll be mixing my own water or if I'm going to be using my LFS. Trying to simplify my maintenance but I think long term it's likely I'll start mixing my own regardless.

Setup will be slow initially, likely a couple weeks before I have anymore updates but the initial setup is completed and freshwater running for leak and flow testing!

20190126_194821.jpg

20190212_190937.jpg

20190218_160416.jpg

20190218_173710.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Coinee said:

This is pretty much the tank I want when I'm a "real adult" hahaha...or maybe the IM 30L. I'm gonna follow this so I can live vicariously through you 😉

My first SW attempt was in highschool about 12 years ago and I didn't have the funding or means to make the tank anywhere near where I wanted it to be. I ended up sticking to 4-5 various freshwater tanks in my room. I dropped fish for about a decade and was mostly determined not to get back into it but my fiancee loves the idea of having a well kept tank around.

I set up a 2.1 gallon ADA cube planted tank with some blue shrimp and she enjoys it enough to warrant an attempt at an equally beautiful reef. I'm stoked but taking it very slow, especially to start. 

Looking good! I just came back into the hobby as well with a Fusion 20 started last weekend. Loving it so far!

Your DIY stand looks great, and good call on the Sicce pump. I hadn't ordered one before I set the tank up, and boy is the stock pump loud, so I immediately ordered a Sicce 1.5. (I really don't want to have any powerheads, but we'll see how the flow works out with the Sicce 1.5 and the spin-streams).

One thing that bugs me currently is that the mesh lid is a very tight fit (it kind of mushes against the silicone). I'm guessing it wasn't cut properly. I may have to disassemble it and shave a few corners down since I don't like it scraping the silicone every time I take it on/off. It was a nice surprise to see (with mine at least) they're using a smaller/thinner mesh that's clear. I had read reviews where the mesh was thicker and white which reflected light pretty badly.

I also think I'm going to have to bite the bullet for a Cobalt Neo-Therm heater as well. Currently using an Eheim Jager 75W and it's huge. Space in the return chamber is cramped with it (I'm using InTank Refugium baskets in each secondary chamber, not that the Eheim would fit in those anyways), so I haven't been able to put in my AutoAqua AWC, though it's working very well as an ATO at the moment.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, clabern said:

Looking good! I just came back into the hobby as well with a Fusion 20 started last weekend. Loving it so far!

Your DIY stand looks great, and good call on the Sicce pump. I hadn't ordered one before I set the tank up, and boy is the stock pump loud, so I immediately ordered a Sicce 1.5. (I really don't want to have any powerheads, but we'll see how the flow works out with the Sicce 1.5 and the spin-streams).

One thing that bugs me currently is that the mesh lid is a very tight fit (it kind of mushes against the silicone). I'm guessing it wasn't cut properly. I may have to disassemble it and shave a few corners down since I don't like it scraping the silicone every time I take it on/off. It was a nice surprise to see (with mine at least) they're using a smaller/thinner mesh that's clear. I had read reviews where the mesh was thicker and white which reflected light pretty badly.

I also think I'm going to have to bite the bullet for a Cobalt Neo-Therm heater as well. Currently using an Eheim Jager 75W and it's huge. Space in the return chamber is cramped with it (I'm using InTank Refugium baskets in each secondary chamber, not that the Eheim would fit in those anyways), so I haven't been able to put in my AutoAqua AWC, though it's working very well as an ATO at the moment.

That's weird about the top. I'll have to double check but I think when I tried it originally it fit a bit small if anything. I don't plan on using it but once I get fish I may get nervous enough to throw it on there. 

I'm back and forth on the Fuge baskets. I'll probably run without initially. I'm concerned about what maintenance and stress a Fuge might add. 

11 hours ago, gregpxc said:

My first SW attempt was in highschool about 12 years ago and I didn't have the funding or means to make the tank anywhere near where I wanted it to be. I ended up sticking to 4-5 various freshwater tanks in my room. I dropped fish for about a decade and was mostly determined not to get back into it but my fiancee loves the idea of having a well kept tank around.

I set up a 2.1 gallon ADA cube planted tank with some blue shrimp and she enjoys it enough to warrant an attempt at an equally beautiful reef. I'm stoked but taking it very slow, especially to start. 

When I finish university in a few months, I'll probably start my first "real" SW aquarium sometime after I move and get settled in. 

You should definitely add some euphyllia, if they are your thing. They are really awesome and bring a lot of life to the tank with their motions and colours. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coinee said:

When I finish university in a few months, I'll probably start my first "real" SW aquarium sometime after I move and get settled in. 

You should definitely add some euphyllia, if they are your thing. They are really awesome and bring a lot of life to the tank with their motions and colours. 

I definitely will. I'd like to avoid the struggle of an anemone while still offering a good host for clowns so it's high on my list. Probably pick a low base rock to perch it on right out in front