ReefCleaners.org

1 minute ago, Nursecop818 said:

Woohoo!! Good update- J Edgar’s buddy Snappy has been spotted! The sneaky little turd came out from under his rock tonight along with his creepy bristle worm friend, so good to know we are still only down one creature and it was still due to a tank murder and not keeper negligence. It always makes me happy to know I haven’t killed anything with my ignorance 😖.

That’s good news. 😊

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Right?! Always good to know- I was worried about him since I haven’t heard him in a while, but I actually got visual confirmation so that’s better. Now just watching to see the tank mature a while before we choose anything new for it. I’d like to see the acropora look better, and some growth in the other corals besides the torch, GSP and mushroom. Not bad for a month’s SUPER rapid growth, right?

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Love the fancy crab mansion! I want a video. Tank is looking good.

I'd 100% keep the skimmer especially since your salt is coral pro. Every water change will increase alk and Ca to (probably over-) compensate for what is lost in skimming. Plus, skimmers leverage the niche house cleaning abilities of bacteria, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
ECLS Reefer

😬 I already pulled it, cleaned it and stowed it- it was such a pain!! Since I put the second chamber into action using the In Tank basket with Matrix and De*Nitrate, my nitrates have better regulated to 5 on a daily basis, the SPS coral is looking happy finally and the hammer is spreading back out. I’ve been watching the calcium levels- I’ll definitely keep watching them now that you said they can get high fast! 

One of the scarlet reef crabs molted last night- not sure if it was the Playboy Mansion dude or the one who inherited his old house. That things so heavy and clunky he doesn’t move around too much!

1 hour ago, Polarcollision said:

Love the fancy crab mansion! I want a video. Tank is looking good.

I'd 100% keep the skimmer especially since your salt is coral pro. Every water change will increase alk and Ca to (probably over-) compensate for what is lost in skimming. Plus, skimmers leverage the niche house cleaning abilities of bacteria, etc.

• Like 1
Polarcollision
7 hours ago, Nursecop818 said:

😬 I already pulled it, cleaned it and stowed it- it was such a pain!! Since I put the second chamber into action using the In Tank basket with Matrix and De*Nitrate, my nitrates have better regulated to 5 on a daily basis, the SPS coral is looking happy finally and the hammer is spreading back out. I’ve been watching the calcium levels- I’ll definitely keep watching them now that you said they can get high fast! 

One of the scarlet reef crabs molted last night- not sure if it was the Playboy Mansion dude or the one who inherited his old house. That things so heavy and clunky he doesn’t move around too much!

Oooohhh. I’m sorry I missed that you pulled the skimmer. Never intend to make anyone feel sad.  Some of them are a huge pain for sure. Unsure how fast foundation elements will rise. What I meant is that coral pro vs Red Sea blue bucket has elevated levels. So eventually alkalinity will rise to 11-12 and calcium, magnesium, and potassium will be high also. Lots of people have success with it, just wanted to give you the heads up if you happened to be unaware so the acropora frag stays happy. 🙂

• Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
3 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Oooohhh. I’m sorry I missed that you pulled the skimmer. Never intend to make anyone feel sad.  Some of them are a huge pain for sure. Unsure how fast foundation elements will rise. What I meant is that coral pro vs Red Sea blue bucket has elevated levels. So eventually alkalinity will rise to 11-12 and calcium, magnesium, and potassium will be high also. Lots of people have success with it, just wanted to give you the heads up if you happened to be unaware so the acropora frag stays happy. 🙂

Well, it wasn’t happy until I started getting the alk and calcium levels high, so maybe now I can just run off the water and not have to add Fusion to the water or anything else. 

ECLS Reefer

So yesterday was a sad day in the 9 year old’s tank, as the Hunger Fish Games continued on. Jolly Roger the black oscellaris chased Jack Sparrow the true percula out of the tank at some point, past the small available gap and onto the floor. Unfortunately the 9 year old found his corporeal shell first thing in the morning, with MUCH sadness. And wailing. So, to answer that question, yes Jack Sparrow really can die. 

Sooooooo, damage control for a child’s soul yesterday on Fat Tuesday consisted of: a new, very small neon green bubble tip anemone, and a tiny purple pseudochromis. We had also ordered him a red lobo and a Superman purple monti frag, and a small six line wrasse (for the flat worm issue I have suddenly developed out of nowhere). So, he now has three cave dwelling feisty fish to deal with the murdering jerk pirate fish Jolly. Who looked incredibly confused about the additions to his kingdom after supposedly vanquishing the competition. 

The strawberry shortcake SPS coral has started turning a nice red and showing some faint polyp action with the addition of the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2 the last couple of days and one dose of Seachem Complete. I will probably test the calcium tonight after work and see how I’m doing and make the Fusion every other day rather than daily from now on. The monti went in and looked immediately happy, so looks like the water is working perfectly. 

The other corals are doing great- I had to run by the LFS to get the little nem and deal with the 🧙🏻‍♀️FSL. She made awkward small talk and disappeared thankfully, and her helper took over. But her helper remembered that day with the hammer coral, because she asked how it was doing. I told her great! And that it now has friends that are ALSO doing great- the girl kind of laughed- obviously the 🧙🏻‍♀️FSL just thinks IM incompetent and will kill stuff. I can’t wait to go back at some point and show her a picture of everything thriving!!

1C316C96-A9C7-4F06-BDC3-A39ED6122C50.jpeg

D74FB4D8-5953-4148-AF48-60B82273C85E.jpeg

9D6CC9CD-960D-4655-BEC2-2727FBB6C8A5.jpeg

2C32726B-E3E5-468B-89AA-4E005FEADF1C.jpeg

F76DD54A-27A0-4189-8660-3B9C4C7382BB.jpeg

CBBA7E84-5AD0-4B31-B047-78490E8EF6E4.jpeg

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer

Okay guys. So tested the parameters last night and found that I had a tiny bump in nitrates to 10, because of two things- the corals all took a HUGE dump the day before and the other electric blue crab died. Guess that wasn’t meant to be. Also, my Ca level was 500, because I use coral pro salt for my water, I dosed with Reef Fusion Sun, Mon, Tues and Seachem Complete on Mon. I run a bag of phosbond and two bags of 100gm carbon in chamber 1, Matrix and De*Nitrate in chamber 2. I took out my little Skimmer cause it was a pain, knowing it would affect my elements. SO. What to do about the Ca levels? If they go up tonight, should I put the bag of phosbond and wait, to allow more circulating phos to bind the Ca? Or pull the phosbond and do a water change too? Or just do a water change? Or just wait and do nothing? I’m not home but when I left this morning at the butt crack of dawn, with the tank asleep, everything looked okay. So I’m going to go on the assumption it’s okay since I never received a panic text this morning from my esposo, and I’ll check the Ca level tonight when I get home. 

But I’d love to hear the tips and tricks tossed out there for future reference. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nursecop818 said:

Okay guys. So tested the parameters last night and found that I had a tiny bump in nitrates to 10, because of two things- the corals all took a HUGE dump the day before and the other electric blue crab died. Guess that wasn’t meant to be. Also, my Ca level was 500, because I use coral pro salt for my water, I dosed with Reef Fusion Sun, Mon, Tues and Seachem Complete on Mon. I run a bag of phosbond and two bags of 100gm carbon in chamber 1, Matrix and De*Nitrate in chamber 2. I took out my little Skimmer cause it was a pain, knowing it would affect my elements. SO. What to do about the Ca levels? If they go up tonight, should I put the bag of phosbond and wait, to allow more circulating phos to bind the Ca? Or pull the phosbond and do a water change too? Or just do a water change? Or just wait and do nothing? I’m not home but when I left this morning at the butt crack of dawn, with the tank asleep, everything looked okay. So I’m going to go on the assumption it’s okay since I never received a panic text this morning from my esposo, and I’ll check the Ca level tonight when I get home. 

But I’d love to hear the tips and tricks tossed out there for future reference. 

If it were me I would stop adding stuff to the water. Find out what your baseline is and then go from there. Your tank is young and you don’t need all of that stuff right now. 

• Like 1

I'd do what WV Reefer said: stop adding stuff to the water. Additionally, I would probably keep my hands out of the tank and not add stuff for a while (even if something dies). Give your system more time to adapt overall since it is still new and just keep tabs on where values fall when you do your water testing. Basically: just chill a bit and do the simple routine maintenance stuff of water changes, testing and just top-ups for salinity. 

And to be honest 10 ppm of nitrates is nothing to be worried about. Plenty of people run their tanks perfectly fine with nitrates in check at that point. You really only have to worry if it starts to climb over 40ish. But basically if your tank is fine, don't worry and LEAVE IT ALONE! 😉  Constantly adjusting parameters like this away from what they want to naturally settle to is a long fight when it is harmless (unless you're just replenishing nutrients in an aged stable tank).

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Thank y’all so much for weighing in!! So when I got home I tested my Ca, nitrates, ph and KH. The Ca had dropped to 420, so I know they’re using it, the nitrates had dropped to somewhere between 0 and 5 (it’s so hard to really so on API you almost go blind so I called it 2.5), the ph is stable at 8 and the KH at 214.8 per API. I know y’all recommend Hanna checkers for Ca, KH and phos and salifert for the others, but I haven’t got there yet and the hubs is in a major twist about the “money pit” as he calls the tank, so can’t get those just yet. More OT at work needed first. 

Good to know the filters are working and theyre using the Ca. 

On a a different note, would appear that I’ve lost a goby, as J Edgar Hoover has disappeared. CANNOT find him. He’s not in the anemone- I made it open up with a good flashlight- I can’t find him so far under any rocks- I can’t see how he could have escaped the tank because we  blocked all exits after the Jack Sparrow affair. So I guess Erasmus the wrasse got him? Is that possible? And the bristle worms are him whole that fast?? Is that even possible? Maybe that’s where Jimmy Hoffa went 🤔

Finally got a phone lens to take pictures with though they aren’t all that stellar.

9D17CB51-50F8-4105-98FF-31D3F8001FE3.jpeg

D0DA4AB4-2217-496D-93D0-0EA1336B60C4.jpeg

21DC6F12-3F77-4749-93D1-AF13EB76C5C7.jpeg

853966EF-161D-4A67-9C24-BF4A67A86530.jpeg

FF3ED33C-C97F-4D1A-B161-139A28076DE6.jpeg

4B06A12E-7288-45A5-91CD-4831A982B359.jpeg

B0C761AB-00EC-4378-B727-49BDA158E7B9.jpeg

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for people to "lose a fish" in a tank and never find it...then suddenly find it normal and healthy a month later. Some of them are really adept at hiding, even in small tanks.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Coinee said:

It's not uncommon for people to "lose a fish" in a tank and never find it...then suddenly find it normal and healthy a month later. Some of them are really adept at hiding, even in small tanks.

I did finally find poor dude last night! He’s been relegated to the weeds— he’s hiding in the Gracilaria now. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Got a lens for the iPhone X to try and take better photos, but not sure I'm super happy with what all it does yet. 

I laid hands on the BTA today and moved his weirdo self to a little rock nook I thought he might like, and that's readily visible to everybody. And easy for me to feed him. Kind of defeated the purpose of owning him, having him hidden under a rock where I couldn't physically get to him or see him well, nor could any of the fish really interact with him. He seems fairly happy at the moment. We will see if he stays. 

So far the fish are getting along. Erasmus Johan the wrasse loves his rock structures and is absolutely a joy to watch in the tank. "Chromis" the pseudochromis is quirky but pretty, and Jolly the black jerk clown fish seems to have accepted the fact that he's not going to rule the tank. Things are going pleasantly at the moment, though I feel bad that poor J Edgar Hoover has to live in the Gracilaria now.

fullsizeoutput_1e0c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e07.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e09.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e02.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e05.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e0b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e0d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e11.jpeg

IMG_1872.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1e10.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1e06.jpeg

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Last night, after having a perfectly delightful day being the center of attention, The Blob BTA decided to squish himself back between rocks and disappear under my main rock display cave. Sadly for him, I'm not going fishing for him this time. He will have to come back out, or he can just shrivel up under there. The party is on the surface under the lights, sir. Not to mention, he decided to sit next to Mr Hammer, who has happily become a pretty big hammer now. So he's probably not the best neighbor to sit beside if you want peace and quiet. 

J Edgar Hoover came out to visit me today. I got the usual disapproving frown. 

The Favia seems happy on his new perch, with his tentacles extending pretty nicely. I hope he starts growing soon. 

Still not sure what to do with my Grape Euphyllia. He looks grape-y, but probably not as much as he's supposed to. 

Turned up the whites to 35% so the light spectrum currently is B 100, R 90, G 30 W 35, in an attempt to make The Blob happy. We shall see what happens. May be in the market soon for a different type of nem though, because Jolly Roger sure did like the BTA almost immediately and started trying to host him. Hard to host a nem that's too busy running away.

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

So, started preparing for our first trip out of town and leaving the tank alone. I'm only going to keep the peace with the hubs, since he was about to lose it thinking I wouldn't go camping with him and the boys over this "money pit" as he calls it when frustrated. Other times, I find him guiltily sitting in front of it starting at the fish because he doesn't want to admit how much he likes it. 🙄

Did a weekly water change today--I'm kind of wondering if next week I can push it to two weeks? The numbers really looked great, so there was no need parameter-wise to change water. I did it purely to make sure there was clean water for them and clean/stir the sand bed. I turkey basted the rocks, the corals and the sand, and siphoned the back chambers, cleaned the pump. I changed one bag of carbon out, added a little more matrix and de*nitrate to the bags to make them a bit fuller, and changed the phosbond out just to be safe. 

As a side note, but as a victory in time management and saving on physical effort-- I got the hubs to pick up a little 300gph fountain pump today at Lowes with some hose for it to lift the water out of the buckets for the water change so I no longer have to pour the water into the chambers or anything. I also used it to transfer water out of the saltwater-making bucket into the storage jug. Super happy with this little gem--thanks to @banasophia for giving me that idea a couple weeks ago! The hose length was 10ft, and the 300gph was the perfect amount of lift and perfect rate of transfer- I didn't have adjust the speed or anything for refilling the tank. 

The Blob BTA is still hiding in the same spot under my main cave work, so who knows if he will ever decide to come back out. He did something to annoy the hammer today because he had some major sweepers going on in response this afternoon. Probably not the best neighbor to annoy.

Ordered a Smart ATO micro for my tank because of the every day need to refill about 4-6 inches worth of water from evap in the back chamber. I doubt it will get here before we leave Tuesday, but here's hoping!! 

Oh and here's a shot of the scarlet reef crab living in the Playboy Mansion shell....

IMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.f09cf335d478fb058dc63883460f73d0.jpegS

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

So, started preparing for our first trip out of town and leaving the tank alone. I'm only going to keep the peace with the hubs, since he was about to lose it thinking I wouldn't go camping with him and the boys over this "money pit" as he calls it when frustrated. Other times, I find him guiltily sitting in front of it starting at the fish because he doesn't want to admit how much he likes it. 🙄

Did a weekly water change today--I'm kind of wondering if next week I can push it to two weeks? The numbers really looked great, so there was no need parameter-wise to change water. I did it purely to make sure there was clean water for them and clean/stir the sand bed. I turkey basted the rocks, the corals and the sand, and siphoned the back chambers, cleaned the pump. I changed one bag of carbon out, added a little more matrix and de*nitrate to the bags to make them a bit fuller, and changed the phosbond out just to be safe. 

As a side note, but as a victory in time management and saving on physical effort-- I got the hubs to pick up a little 300gph fountain pump today at Lowes with some hose for it to lift the water out of the buckets for the water change so I no longer have to pour the water into the chambers or anything. I also used it to transfer water out of the saltwater-making bucket into the storage jug. Super happy with this little gem--thanks to @banasophia for giving me that idea a couple weeks ago! The hose length was 10ft, and the 300gph was the perfect amount of lift and perfect rate of transfer- I didn't have adjust the speed or anything for refilling the tank. 

The Blob BTA is still hiding in the same spot under my main cave work, so who knows if he will ever decide to come back out. He did something to annoy the hammer today because he had some major sweepers going on in response this afternoon. Probably not the best neighbor to annoy.

Ordered a Smart ATO micro for my tank because of the every day need to refill about 4-6 inches worth of water from evap in the back chamber. I doubt it will get here before we leave Tuesday, but here's hoping!! 

Oh and here's a shot of the scarlet reef crab living in the Playboy Mansion shell....

IMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.f09cf335d478fb058dc63883460f73d0.jpegS

He is the cutest in that fancy shell! 😃

im sure everything will go smoothly during the trip. 😊

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

He is the cutest in that fancy shell! 😃

im sure everything will go smoothly during the trip. 😊

I sure hope so!!! It ends up amounting to one full day so cross your fingers. I feel like I'm gonna be leaving a newborn infant for the first time 😂

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer

The husband successfully dragged me away from my newborn tank today 😳😭😭😭, and I think I left tracks in the floor of my nails in protest. However, I figured out a way to watch my precious investment/baby while away (HAH!) so I can make sure there's no emergency and call in help if needed. There is a person coming tomorrow to test the water parameters for me and feed all the fish, and let me know how they look with actual eyeballs on them. Drives me slightly crazy that it's not my own eyes seeing it, but oh well, it keeps the peace. 

IMG_1934.jpg.59c8f9f52d4bd2db18ead2098b539894.jpg

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

WHEW!!! Survived the first trip away from the new born tank successfully without loss of life or crashing or anything bad! The girl I had watch it for one day came and tested all the parameters, had no issues and fed the tank with no trouble. I will definitely try to use her again in the future, so long as she's available. She goes to college soon, so that door may close on me soon.

I did notice when I got home that J Edgar Hoover is out in the open far more than normal and swimming around, even kind of fighting his own reflection. Who's missing? Erasmus Johan my six line wrasse. He's very mysteriously hiding in his cave, for reasons I can't fathom. He's there, I can see him, but's not really flushing out. He came out briefly last night to eat and then went back in. This is a change for him, since last week he was very active and moving through all the rocks very possessively-he'd even run J Edgar out from under the rock structure. So I'm a bit confused here on how he's acting. Is this normal wrasse behavior? Should I be worried about Erasmus? 

Chromis the psuedochromis and Jolly Roger the murdering clown fish are fast friends now. That seems rather questionable, but I guess we will allow it for now. I'm sure it's gonna be like watching the two bullies on A Christmas Story gang up on the kids as they try to get to school in the snow.

The Blob BTA is still kicking it under the rock structure. He seems pretty healthy in fact. So, I guess we won't get to enjoy looking at him, but just know that he's there. Jerk.

We got some new additions today in the tank, and hopefully they will do better this time than the last attempt. We added two Halloween hermits, two electric blue hermits (these two are definitely more active than the last pair) and what should have been four dwarf blue hermits, but turned out to be just two. Called LA and told them they only sent me two live dwarfs, so maybe they'll ship out two more since I sent them pictures of the collection of empty shells they sent me. That was special. At any rate, they all seem to be taking off well so far today, and we have their dried seaweed all ready in the back to munch on so that hopefully this time there's no excuse for a loss. 

Got my new Smart ATO micro in yesterday when I arrived home only to find that they left out the siphon break valve that supposedly stops it from overflowing your tank. I have a package with a really nice, detailed picture of one, but alas, no siphon break valve. Called Amazon to explain and they were going to send me a new kit, and have me send this one back. I told them I'd already dunked it in the water in my refill tank (does this qualify as a refugium?) They didn't seem bother by that. I think what I'll do is just take the siphon break valve out of the new kit when it arrives and send the dry kit back to Amazon, so I don't ruin both ATOs in water. That seems stupid. Besides it kind of worked the way I rigged it this morning. Hopefully it doesn't overflow my tank tonight though. That'd be SO bad.

I took my extra live rock and glued it together today to make a new small arch and then stuck in on top in the very middle, to add to the absolute middle of the tank. I thought the symmetry of the tank was a little empty there and now it's a little more even, reaching up. Plus, a little more surface to swim through for Chromis and Jolly and to stick corals to in the future. Still trying to find a happy place for my acropora. He doesn't seem to like where he was, though the monti is cooking right along. Will have to examine some other options for the acro...

IMG_1998.thumb.jpeg.2dbc627e8f14449b0d67da5521eb6377.jpeg

The new scape with the new arch on top

IMG_2006.thumb.jpeg.e4cca7d0b6e438131a4d0fb995dc6c62.jpeg

The Red Baron is always watching.....

IMG_2005.thumb.jpeg.a1c734d51b88277798a7be0e4820c42c.jpeg

The Blob BTA.... 

IMG_1988.thumb.jpeg.6b5172acd3694456e9e5e21e834a65c5.jpeg

One of the new dwarf blue hermits

IMG_1984.thumb.jpeg.fa8530fe2bbd0dde888097ba5033641d.jpeg

One of the new Halloween hermits and electric blues.

• Like 5
ECLS Reefer

Today was water change day! I was hoping to push them out past once a week, but that was not to be. Parameters show that yes, I feed my tank too much because I can't help myself. However, I'm determined that the electric blue and Halloween hermits are going to make it that I introduced the other day, so if that means I have to put seaweed in there and have a bit more of a nitrate load, then I'll change the water. 

I was able to make the Smart ATO work, even without the all important siphon break valve. I will inspect this holy grail of a part when it arrives later this week and see whether it's worth cutting into the hose over. 

I'll admit it--I suck at gluing and epoxying stuff while it's in the water. Super suck. Next time, when I get a big girl fish tank, I'll plan out my aquascape better before putting it in there. Guess that will mean getting dry rock rather than live, cultured rock, but it will look awesome like other scapes I've seen without having to glue and change stuff when it's already in the water. 

I did move my Acropora to a lower spot in the tank with slightly less current. It seems to be a bit happier with some color returning. Hopefully it will start to really show polyp extension and more color soon. I also had to move a small GSP out from under the new arch and I stuck it in a hole on the outside of the arch where it will get light and flow. I think once it's over being royally hacked off at me it will start to open back up like it had been doing previously. 

The fish all got along today, rather than trying to annoy and fin pick each other. On the advice of WV Reefer, I put a mirror up next to the tank trying to distract the pseudochromis, but instead it drove Erasmus the wrasse nuts all afternoon. He was determined he was going to get that fish he kept seeing, SOMEHOW. It was entertaining to watch, even for Jolly and Chromis. They watched Erasmus fight his reflection from a distance but left him alone. Now he seems a lot more relaxed and confident, at least around Chromis, who was being such a jerk to him just yesterday. J Edgar is still hiding behind what algae is left-evidently I'm terrible at cultivating algae as well. Hopefully they will leave him alone with some more mirror therapy. They have also been super entertained by the wifi camera I stuck right next to the tank so I could literally see into it while I'm away, and watch my tank. Sometimes, we all need some fish therapy when life gets stressful.... Now I can get it remotely 😆

So, the tank is still running well, and is three days shy of being two months old to the day.  Seems a little more like a year this week for some reason, even though everything has gone ridiculously well for me and my tank, and I've taken it straight up the side of Mt Everest in terms of starting a reef tank. Most people haven't even finished cycling at this point and I've got a full tank! But, most of the other tanks I've seen also have started with really cool dry rock and been able to custom scape their tanks and glue stuff together, whereas I didn't get to since I started with a tank to tank rock and sand transfer and used the same water it all came from. I'm sure it will be a completely different adventure when I get a new, bigger tank eventually. 

Anyway, today was a good day for my little infant tank. I'm also going to change the name of the tank and this thread- Nursecop's Brute Squad 13.5g.

8gg0bssCTS6K97HNJj1uwA.jpg

• Like 2
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Nursecop's Brute Squad 13.5g

The siphon break valve is to prevent a back siphon from your tank into the ATO reservoir. Usually I use flexible tubing and then cut a small hole an inch or two above the end that sits over the tank. This breaks any potential siphon, should the outlet end go underwater.

ECLS Reefer

Tanks two month birthday/anniversary today!!! 

Today was a tank therapy day, watching my tank, reading a horrible textbook, watching my tank... 

I did take a break to add two new zoas, a gorg, and a baby sun coral. The zoas and gorg are all already opening and seem to be acclimating happily. The sun coral

doesnt look overly UNhappy, just not open and extended yet. 

Changed out the carbon bags today to get them on an even schedule and because my nitrates have been reading a bit higher for some reason the last two times I’ve tested. I’m not sure I trust the results because all the corals are open and happy and beautiful in the day and the monti especially is starting to extend polyps like it’s super happy. The acro? Well it’s still moody and impossible to please, but not dead, so I’m still working on it. 

I added the TINIEST amount of kalk to my ATO water to help get the pH up, which was sliding a bit. I think I put in 1/16th of a tsp in 2.5 gallons, and have since diluted it a bit more since the level in the tank dropped. But the pH came up nicely back to 8 so I was happy. Will now have to watch it very carefully! 

Overall I've reached a pretty happy stasis point on the tank where I’m doing once a week water changes. I would like to push those out but I doubt that will happen, especially with the addition of the NPSs to the tank. The fish, coral and crabs all seem happy and everyone has stopped bickering and fin picking at the moment. My husband has even decided he likes the tank enough to consider allowing me to feed my addiction further with a second tank soon! So, more to come with that in the future.

3C4ECB36-AD83-4662-B3B6-C78240D31BEB.jpeg

New sun coral

3D20B855-C9AB-42FA-B497-E0D4A426FE1E.jpeg

New zoa- candy apple I believe

139455C4-9449-42FE-AE21-C212786B1255.jpeg

New zoa- fire an ice (of course! GOT is coming back!!)

3EA90BDD-EF06-4221-B67E-D4A6B7F5CB2C.jpeg

Fire and Ice zoa without yellow filter

9E9B0117-AAC4-4C00-ACD1-93384704D6A2.jpeg

New gorgonian

957D5225-0DE3-46D2-963D-F144B33A6760.jpeg

New gorgonian

F3BB2748-9E85-4FB9-B218-D052E4B435C4.jpeg

FTS- tank two month birthday today!!!

B81A9E88-C9A0-42E0-9D5C-17F45AE9127E.jpeg

Candy apple zoa

• Like 2

What a pretty little tank! Congrats on your two-month anniversary, I wish you many more happy returns!

That NPS gorgonian is going to look gorgeous once it opens up, with the white polyps on red. I love the color combo there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
6 minutes ago, billygoat said:

What a pretty little tank! Congrats on your two-month anniversary, I wish you many more happy returns!

That NPS gorgonian is going to look gorgeous once it opens up, with the white polyps on red. I love the color combo there.

Thank you! I'm trying for more colors, which is why I added the sun coral and that gorg. I hope the little zoas do as well as the first one introduced when I started the tank. The lens I have on my phone doesn't actually do justice to the red of the favia, the gorg or the lobo, but hopefully I'll be able to get around that after my gel lens comes in. I haven't completely figured out tank photography yet. 

Over all, just going for a bright eye catching little tank so I have something to stare at instead of my text books! Thanks for the compliment!!

• Like 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo (June 2021 TOTM). Random Update with Foto