SaltCritters.com

These three have become really good tank mates, after all the gobies Billy and Dilly managed to kill, they like El Diablo. Watched Billy help El Diablo out by pulling a string of gunk off his horns. They like to hover near each other in the current. Definitely love watching this triple threat!!

Β 

IMG_4982.thumb.jpeg.53371dd02b5cad3e9b9d33cdaee769b1.jpeg

Β 

Dilly the black ice clown

Β 

IMG_4981.thumb.jpeg.a0e5f76e96c463590a7c010fefa096df.jpeg\

Β 

How YOU doin?

Β 

IMG_4990.thumb.jpg.075e81e9b743f960d5183cf9b81eb4cf.jpg

Β 

Billy, Dilly, and El Diablo, the triple threat.

Β 

• Like 5

Tank is starting to look better finally!! Cyano is retreating and the hair algae is also starting to get controlled. Thanks to another post on NR, found this stuff called PhosRX. It cut the phos levels down and suddenly the tank looks a hundred times better. Big relief!

Β 

Β 

EL Diablo is as always, looking good. Caught him asking Dr Weir if he was ready to go home. His reply? WE ARE HOME MMMWWWAAHAHAHHAHAHAH

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Tank is starting to look better finally!! Cyano is retreating and the hair algae is also starting to get controlled. Thanks to another post on NR, found this stuff called PhosRX. It cut the phos levels down and suddenly the tank looks a hundred times better. Big relief!

Β 

Β 

EL Diablo is as always, looking good. Caught him asking Dr Weir if he was ready to go home. His reply? WE ARE HOME MMMWWWAAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Β 

E3E5503B-5952-4C0C-B751-7B487909D06A.gif.99e33ee6f2274c1633e9d5409e8c3096.gif

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

I already knew that........:lol: thought maybe a special place..........................

It's almost Halloween and Dr Weir is a Halloween hermit named after Dr Weir from Event Horizon.....Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

I am absolutely broken hearted tonight. Got home from work to find that my little El Diablo died today while I was gone. Lurch the Urchin was carrying him around. It must have happened shortly before I got home because he wasn’t very messed up. I am SO SADβ€” he was my favorite silly little fish ☹️😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Β 

This is why I hate going to work and leaving my tanks for 13 hours at a time.Β 

• Sad 8
34 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Very sorry to hear about the loss of El Diablo. He was a cutie and no mistake. He will be missed. 😞

Β 

Any clues as to what might have happened to him?

Possibly he didn’t eat as well as I thought he did- he seemed to do well with fortified mysis and Brine but he’d never touch nori when offered. I’m not sure if the tank has microalgae. I didn’t see him graze much.Β 

Β 

Honestly this tank seems a bit cursed for some reason. Every couple of weeks is a new hurdle. The parameters always check out normal, and I test two to three times a week. Water changes weekly. The cyano is gone and the hair algae seems to be getting better, but I lost a torch, a hammer, an acan and now the chalice in there. Gobies never stick- they usually die within days, and I’d blamed that on the clown pair, but I was never sure.Β I’d love another blenny someday if the tank ever gets its act together. I feel sure that had nothing to do with the clowns- they all three got along.Β 

Β 

So who knows. I just hope I can catch a break with the gods of saltwater reef keeping.Β 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Whellllppp, to continue my saga of being a bit cursed as a newbie, for at least the first 5 months of a tank, Billy and Dilly developed spots they shouldn’t have. This, after El Diablo died. Makes me wonder if this is what got him. The spots appear to be Brook- they keep swimming right in the pump flow and nowhere else. Being white, the spots appear more on their stripes and fins. At any rate, they bought a visit to the QT Hotel. Started their copper treatments, got them some pipe fittings which they seem to love. Fingers crossed they’ll be okay.Β 

Β 

Β 

55B95231-EDB7-42C0-AC48-0F33F08B9150.jpeg

44C92995-6A36-4AAD-AA2A-49F670AFF64B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Found these little jewels at my favorite LFS. They are bright and cheery. And at the moment portable. So if they start to look bad or wander off, may put them with their siblings in the big tank.

Β 

Billy and Dilly are still hanging out in QT, but I made a discovery today while doing some maintenance- the heater controller is not doing it’s job. Set at 79, but water was really more like 72. B and D are already spot free, and I begin to wonder if they were actually cold stressed- pretty sure that’s what kicked off the fish spots in the SCA last time too- water was not the same temp as the tank’s. So, put the heater in the main part of the tank and took off the controller. Heater should theoretically do fine without it anyway.Β 

Β 

May put B and D back in after I see that the tank temp stays stable πŸ€”

2FA45321-493C-4E2C-B226-8A590E740AFE.jpeg

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Found these little jewels at my favorite LFS. They are bright and cheery. And at the moment portable. So if they start to look bad or wander off, may put them with their siblings in the big tank.

Β 

Billy and Dilly are still hanging out in QT, but I made a discovery today while doing some maintenance- the heater controller is not doing it’s job. Set at 79, but water was really more like 72. B and D are already spot free, and I begin to wonder if they were actually cold stressed- pretty sure that’s what kicked off the fish spots in the SCA last time too- water was not the same temp as the tank’s. So, put the heater in the main part of the tank and took off the controller. Heater should theoretically do fine without it anyway.Β 

Β 

May put B and D back in after I see that the tank temp stays stable πŸ€”

2FA45321-493C-4E2C-B226-8A590E740AFE.jpeg

Those are pretty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Those are pretty!

I went for one, came home with four- they had a special and then the shoP

owner gave me a discount on top of that! Got a deal on the new gyre pump too. He’s a really good salesman πŸ˜‚. But he has an awesome shop. I swear @jbb_00 needs to stop by there sometime when he’s in H Town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

I went for one, came home with four- they had a special and then the shoP

owner gave me a discount on top of that! Got a deal on the new gyre pump too. He’s a really good salesman πŸ˜‚. But he has an awesome shop. I swear @jbb_00 needs to stop by there sometime when he’s in H Town.

Send me the info, I head to Houston tomorrow.Β 

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Send me the info, I head to Houston tomorrow.Β 

See you at the place of monetary gain tomorrow and Tuesday. And Thursday. Gotta work off my fish debt from today so my husband doesn’t lose his mind 😬

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

See you at the place of monetary gain tomorrow and Tuesday. And Thursday. Gotta work off my fish debt from today so my husband doesn’t lose his mind 😬

Β 

I will be there Tues / Wednesday. I'm at Katy on Thursday

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I will be there Tues / Wednesday. I'm at Katy on Thursday

I’m there only half day tomorrow for a skills checkoff and then work the back half of a shift. Then allllll day Tuesday. Thankfully, I have nothing left on a list to buy so I swearβ€” I. Will. Stop. Spending. Money. On. My. Fish. Β  Β And corals. I swear.Β 

• Haha 3
30 minutes ago, spectra said:

wont happen :lol:

Β 

mrs crossfit has already said I dont even want to know how much is into the tank.............

Yes, I get to listen to my husband estimate amounts frequently. Usually as his voice increases in pitch and volume.

Β 

2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

She lying in her own thread πŸ˜‚

I'm not lying, I'm chanting it to myself like a new mantra.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, update on the Evo--the fish got a lot better when I figured out how cold their tank was in actuality. I removed the Finnex temp controller and just put the heater in the DT with the fish, and it's been keeping the water at exactly 78 all day so far. They seem happy-I put them back in and have been finishing any treatments using Ruby Reef Rally and Kick Ich since it's coral safe. No spots to be seen that don't already belong.Β 

Β 

Also, I did a thing....

Β 

He's been in the tank over a week, so I guess he's name worthy and going to be aΒ keeper. He eats like a fish three times his size too, with lots of personality. Good recipient of the torch El Diablo laid down. We are calling him Willy. So this tank contains Billy, Dilly and Willy πŸ˜ƒ

Β 

I'm still afraid to add any new corals after having had a few literally melt away in this tank, but for whatever reason the small hammer, the humongous frogspawn, the zoa colony, and the Duncan have stayed happy and done well. Oh and the tiny blastomussa has been doing well too. GHA has been steadily going away and keeping the phos level at around 0.03-0.1. The emerald crabs have actually been working as a good team with Lurch the Urchin and the money cowries I threw in there. It's looking pretty clean with even some coralline algae starting to appear on the back wall. So, there's hope for the future in this tank after all.

Β 

Β 

IMG_5394.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5390.jpeg

• Like 3
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo (June 2021 TOTM). Random Update with Foto