Cultivated Reef

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Lovely fish, how big do they get? El Diablo rocks 🤘

I saw a max of 2.5 inches and he’s almost there if not already. He’s a good sized dude so I feel better about his ability to stand up for himself 

• Like 2

So, on goby watch today. Turd somehow managed to jump out of the tank even with a screen over it. He's got some killer aim for that, because the grid is pretty tight on the screen yet he managed to get between the boxes. SOOOOO, had to order a new screen today. Bit the expensive bullet and ordered another from ClearView Lids like I have on the SCA. Only thing that sucks there is that it takes about a month and a half to get to me. Hope I can figure out a way to prevent a repeat of this, if the dude makes it. He's been pretty stunned in there, following his time on the carpet, getting partially stepped on by the hubs, then receiving a freshwater (toilet) bath before he noticed he was still breathing. He's been hanging out in the tank all day breathing, less pant-y now. Hope he pulls through. 

Oh and Lurch the Urchin picked up the cleaner shrimp today-had to unstick them from each other. Hope that shrimp is okay too. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
NaturallyKait
32 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So, on goby watch today. Turd somehow managed to jump out of the tank even with a screen over it. He's got some killer aim for that, because the grid is pretty tight on the screen yet he managed to get between the boxes. SOOOOO, had to order a new screen today. Bit the expensive bullet and ordered another from ClearView Lids like I have on the SCA. Only thing that sucks there is that it takes about a month and a half to get to me. Hope I can figure out a way to prevent a repeat of this, if the dude makes it. He's been pretty stunned in there, following his time on the carpet, getting partially stepped on by the hubs, then receiving a freshwater (toilet) bath before he noticed he was still breathing. He's been hanging out in the tank all day breathing, less pant-y now. Hope he pulls through. 

Oh and Lurch the Urchin picked up the cleaner shrimp today-had to unstick them from each other. Hope that shrimp is okay too. 

You’re the third person I’ve seen lately say their fish made it through mesh. Now I’m so nervous because my YCG is tiny! 

I’ve seen a few people say they swapped out their mesh for tulle fabric because the holes are so much smaller. Maybe an option during the wait time? 

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

You’re the third person I’ve seen lately say their fish made it through mesh. Now I’m so nervous because my YCG is tiny! 

I’ve seen a few people say they swapped out their mesh for tulle fabric because the holes are so much smaller. Maybe an option during the wait time? 

Maybe-I've been thinking about what I can stick over it that would still breathe. Tulle isn't a bad idea. The WWG is still very rocky at the moment and I'm not sure he'll pull through. Watching him closely, but can't do much for him at night when I'm asleep, which is when the clowns always choose to get rowdy. I even opted to let the moon lights stay on all night long which doesn't help my sleep much at all, just trying to help these fish get along in there. I don't know why he chose to jump, unless because they started picking on him again.

• Sad 1
NaturallyKait
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Maybe-I've been thinking about what I can stick over it that would still breathe. Tulle isn't a bad idea. The WWG is still very rocky at the moment and I'm not sure he'll pull through. Watching him closely, but can't do much for him at night when I'm asleep, which is when the clowns always choose to get rowdy. I even opted to let the moon lights stay on all night long which doesn't help my sleep much at all, just trying to help these fish get along in there. I don't know why he chose to jump, unless because they started picking on him again.

That’s hard, I really hope he pulls through. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
19 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yikes duplicate, sorry! 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NaturallyKait said:

Yikes duplicate, sorry! 

He's still kicking it. I herded him with tongs into a sheltered area where I can see him better. Only time will tell, but it does seem that the SW aquarium gods do not want a goby in this little Evo ☹️. This is the third attempt at a goby for the pistol shrimp. I'm still super mad about the guttata from last week. BAD CLOWNS

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

Clown gobies aren't as jumpy as most of the watchman gobies.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Clown gobies aren't as jumpy as most of the watchman gobies.

Do they pair with pistol shrimp though? 

13 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Craft mesh? Insect Netting? Scaffold Debris Netting?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mosquito netting should work fine, I have a ton of it laying around myself, you can grab a big square off amazon for like $5, though at that point you're likely loosing some PAR and might just be better off going acrylic. Otherwise you could always try insetting your lid, grab some little acrylic l-brackets and have the lid below the rim of the tank and nearly-snug against the walls.

42 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Mosquito netting should work fine, I have a ton of it laying around myself, you can grab a big square off amazon for like $5, though at that point you're likely loosing some PAR and might just be better off going acrylic. Otherwise you could always try insetting your lid, grab some little acrylic l-brackets and have the lid below the rim of the tank and nearly-snug against the walls.

It’s a diy innovative marine mesh screen. It fits just inside the tank walls and is very snug, can’t be knocked loose by a fish. He had to have gone thru a square. 

• Like 3

Alas, poor Yorick, for I hardly knew him... 😢 The goby passed yesterday after his Olympic scale jump. The cleaner shrimp went with him into the great ocean. 

Honestly got home yesterday to find the torch which has always done so well, dissolving before my eyes. And the algae in this tank for some reason seems to just be getting worse. So, have been doing daily or every other day water changes depending on my work schedule. Changed 50% today. Ordered some poly filter. Not sure what else to do but change water and pray. 

El Diablo, at least, has been getting more acquainted with the holes in the rock and the caves. He’s pretty funny about backing into them so he can watch everything. 

8DB697A2-5FA2-458E-9759-3BAAE6E63F2D.thumb.jpeg.b77c2992baf673397eeac66e8c91ab71.jpeg

022EDF1E-06A3-46AD-97FF-4FF02ADA7C48.thumb.jpeg.475b3609d6a01fa67c797ac011f59312.jpeg

Can you find El Diablo?? He’s pretty good at cammo 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So, the torch is gone, completely washed away it’s flesh. All the other corals look fine so I’m not entirely sure what happened to kill it. Received and placed some poly filter to try and figure out what is affecting the tank. The fish look good for now at least.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s been a long couple of weeks for the coral in this tank. Have medicated the sick frags with Bayer, Revive and iodine, which has kept a very small portion of flesh alive on the hammer. We shall see if life continues or not.

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s been a week, as promised. The tank seems to be more stable though I lost the torch, the hammer and the acan frags. The chalice is bleaching in two spots on its edges, and I’m not entirely certain why as the other stuff is doing well. Hopefully I can figure it out and keep the chalice going. The fish have all been happy though, and I love watching El Diablo sneak around the tank. Thankfully he’s too big for Dilly and Billy to harass.

Had two two days of blackout time to beat back the cyano that kept creeping in on the sand, which seems to have mostly helped. After researching a bit I figure I probably never truly assembled a great CUC or a complete one; I ordered more or less based on appearance. So, placed an order for a beefed up CUC to ReefCleaners. Should be here by next Thursday or Friday. Eventually this tank is gonna look awesome, I just know it!

• Like 2

So excited— get my first professionally made CUC tomorrow from ReefCleaners. I can’t wait to see what all I get. All of my attempts to build one consisted of stuff I thought looked cool or the boys thought looked cool. Some of the critters have dwindled out, so both tanks needed a revival. Sure can’t wait to see what they do in there! Hope they get the tank clean as a whistle!

1F790E65-9992-4B34-89A5-DADA41F546FB.jpeg

4709CBC3-20DA-457E-83AB-40DB98F217B3.jpeg

BB8DC8DB-6B78-444D-81B9-63B042E2537E.jpeg

• Like 4

Water changes for every one yesterday!! This tank has been rocking along happily the last couple of weeks, but unfortunately there is a hair algae problem I can't kick. The only media run on the tank is Phosguard and Microbacter 7, and polyfilter. Even with beefing up the algae eaters in the tank, it seems like the hair algae redoubled its efforts. So pondering using peroxide now in heavy spots. 

IMG_4958.thumb.jpeg.d9838120d7f9e4579b90a0b3401f1b0d.jpeg

Billy and Dilly the black ice clown pair

IMG_4956.thumb.jpeg.b64daa7b5d81a9d21676f38fce505098.jpeg

El Diablo the horned blend

IMG_4955.thumb.jpeg.74bec300103bbef16b7b90ed0f6480fd.jpeg

El Diablo is trying to outrace Billy-- see how fast he is? He's a blur!!!

IMG_4953.thumb.jpeg.fdc1110477bae8697bb238594f381f1c.jpeg

Zoa colony and frogspawn doing really well in their spots

IMG_4954.thumb.jpeg.3c25c8da58b2d4d857eb6ec5e6250241.jpeg

El Diablo--he's my favorite fish 😊

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Water changes for every one yesterday!! This tank has been rocking along happily the last couple of weeks, but unfortunately there is a hair algae problem I can't kick. The only media run on the tank is Phosguard and Microbacter 7, and polyfilter. Even with beefing up the algae eaters in the tank, it seems like the hair algae redoubled its efforts. So pondering using peroxide now in heavy spots. 

IMG_4958.thumb.jpeg.d9838120d7f9e4579b90a0b3401f1b0d.jpeg

Billy and Dilly the black ice clown pair

IMG_4956.thumb.jpeg.b64daa7b5d81a9d21676f38fce505098.jpeg

El Diablo the horned blend

IMG_4955.thumb.jpeg.74bec300103bbef16b7b90ed0f6480fd.jpeg

El Diablo is trying to outrace Billy-- see how fast he is? He's a blur!!!

IMG_4953.thumb.jpeg.fdc1110477bae8697bb238594f381f1c.jpeg

Zoa colony and frogspawn doing really well in their spots

IMG_4954.thumb.jpeg.3c25c8da58b2d4d857eb6ec5e6250241.jpeg

El Diablo--he's my favorite fish 😊

El Diablo is the coolest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo (June 2021 TOTM). Random Update with Foto