Jump to content

Recommended Posts

WV Reefer
1 hour ago, Nursecop818 said:

Tanks two month birthday/anniversary today!!! 

 

Today was a tank therapy day, watching my tank, reading a horrible textbook, watching my tank... 

 

I did take a break to add two new zoas, a gorg, and a baby sun coral. The zoas and gorg are all already opening and seem to be acclimating happily. The sun coral

doesnt look overly UNhappy, just not open and extended yet. 

 

Changed out the carbon bags today to get them on an even schedule and because my nitrates have been reading a bit higher for some reason the last two times I’ve tested. I’m not sure I trust the results because all the corals are open and happy and beautiful in the day and the monti especially is starting to extend polyps like it’s super happy. The acro? Well it’s still moody and impossible to please, but not dead, so I’m still working on it. 

 

I added the TINIEST amount of kalk to my ATO water to help get the pH up, which was sliding a bit. I think I put in 1/16th of a tsp in 2.5 gallons, and have since diluted it a bit more since the level in the tank dropped. But the pH came up nicely back to 8 so I was happy. Will now have to watch it very carefully! 

 

Overall I've reached a pretty happy stasis point on the tank where I’m doing once a week water changes. I would like to push those out but I doubt that will happen, especially with the addition of the NPSs to the tank. The fish, coral and crabs all seem happy and everyone has stopped bickering and fin picking at the moment. My husband has even decided he likes the tank enough to consider allowing me to feed my addiction further with a second tank soon! So, more to come with that in the future.

3C4ECB36-AD83-4662-B3B6-C78240D31BEB.jpeg

 

New sun coral

 

3D20B855-C9AB-42FA-B497-E0D4A426FE1E.jpeg

 

New zoa- candy apple I believe

 

139455C4-9449-42FE-AE21-C212786B1255.jpeg

 

New zoa- fire an ice (of course! GOT is coming back!!)

 

3EA90BDD-EF06-4221-B67E-D4A6B7F5CB2C.jpeg

 

Fire and Ice zoa without yellow filter

 

9E9B0117-AAC4-4C00-ACD1-93384704D6A2.jpeg

 

New gorgonian

 

957D5225-0DE3-46D2-963D-F144B33A6760.jpeg

 

New gorgonian

 

F3BB2748-9E85-4FB9-B218-D052E4B435C4.jpeg

 

FTS- tank two month birthday today!!!

 

B81A9E88-C9A0-42E0-9D5C-17F45AE9127E.jpeg

 

Candy apple zoa

 

Happy Birthday little tank!!! 😃

 

 

 

and yay for a possible new tank!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Happy Birthday little tank!!! 😃

 

 

 

and yay for a possible new tank!! 

Maybe in May for my birthday. Gotta work a few more shifts before he will feel a little more comfortable shelling out the moolah for the tank/stand, heater, back up battery/surge protector, rock, sand, fish, and a couple of filter media I won't have enough of. Bill was gonna run me a fair chunk so will need to actually work a couple of full pay periods to facilitate it (I'm not actually full time anymore so I don't usually pull full time hours). 

 

At any rate, I'm REALLY excited about the prospects of adding to my addiction!! omgomgomg:haha::naughtydance:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Today was water change day and RODI/SW making day. Seemed to take ALL DAY LONG. I need to start actually writing down how much salt I actually use when I make a bucket because having to dilute it then make more RODI and even more SW is a drag. But now I have plenty of both. Wah Wah.

 

The tank looks super happy today and I noticed that the favia, grape euphyllia and original zoa (Dragon Eye) have grown!! So happy to see proof that I'm doing something right with the feeding and chemistry, lights and temp. However, I did make a not so great discovery tonight, which I couldn't see until I pulled the tank away from the wall a little more than it had been so I could get behind it. The ugly paly I introduced originally is dying because I glued the new arch structure on top of it (no loss), but it for some reason is causing a GHA bloom. A small and very localized one at the moment. And possibly the increased nitrates I keep seeing? I plucked as much of the GHA out as I could tonight and some of the dead paly, and I may dose with peroxide tomorrow. Kind of glad the ugly thing is croaking though. I never found it very pretty.

 

 

IMG_2091.JPG

 

 

IMG_2085.JPG

 

 

IMG_2080.JPG

 

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!

 

IMG_2074.JPG

 

I seeeeeee you......

 

IMG_2079.JPG

 

 

IMG_2097.JPG

 

 

 

IMG_2100.JPG

 

New growth on the favia, to the far left. 

 

IMG_2103.JPG

 

The Red Baron

 

IMG_2104.JPG

 

Maybe I like this shell better??? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Today was water change day and RODI/SW making day. Seemed to take ALL DAY LONG. I need to start actually writing down how much salt I actually use when I make a bucket because having to dilute it then make more RODI and even more SW is a drag. But now I have plenty of both. Wah Wah.

 

The tank looks super happy today and I noticed that the favia, grape euphyllia and original zoa (Dragon Eye) have grown!! So happy to see proof that I'm doing something right with the feeding and chemistry, lights and temp. However, I did make a not so great discovery tonight, which I couldn't see until I pulled the tank away from the wall a little more than it had been so I could get behind it. The ugly paly I introduced originally is dying because I glued the new arch structure on top of it (no loss), but it for some reason is causing a GHA bloom. A small and very localized one at the moment. And possibly the increased nitrates I keep seeing? I plucked as much of the GHA out as I could tonight and some of the dead paly, and I may dose with peroxide tomorrow. Kind of glad the ugly thing is croaking though. I never found it very pretty.

 

 

IMG_2091.JPG

 

 

IMG_2085.JPG

 

 

IMG_2080.JPG

 

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!

 

IMG_2074.JPG

 

I seeeeeee you......

 

IMG_2079.JPG

 

 

IMG_2097.JPG

 

 

 

IMG_2100.JPG

 

New growth on the favia, to the far left. 

 

IMG_2103.JPG

 

The Red Baron

 

IMG_2104.JPG

 

Maybe I like this shell better??? 

 

Looking good in there. 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Haven't figured out the right light spectrum for the gorgonian or the sun coral yet. I'm running a Current Orbit LED system. Anybody have any settings that work well with gorgs and sun corals I could try out?

 

IMG_2108.thumb.JPG.2964bf120b20bfdf8fe1d303b63f64bd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Thanks to @WV Reefer's bad example and leading me down the dark path of addiction, 😂😂🤦🏽‍♀️, I added 4 new little corals. Like teeny weeny. Hopefully they grow well and brighten up the place because they're sure pretty. 

 

Learned a good thing today when I did my water test-- the purigen bag didn't last anywhere near 6 weeks or 6 months or however long they promise on the bag. Not with how much I've been feeding the tank, and with how much is in there. So that bag has was introduced on February 22, and I changed it on March 25. It lasted exactly 1 month before exhausting. It also didn't uniformly change to some obvious color to tell me it was done either--just those nagging nitrate levels of 20 for several days made me wonder if I should swap it with the new bag. Sure enough, when I pulled it out of the chamber, it was DARK in some patches, but not in handily visible spots. So, if you have an unexplainable nitrate bloom, check your purigen bag. Now I'm regenerating the old one and holy god IT STINKS. Smells like an old rotten hobo foot. They also don't tell you that on the bag. Be warned, all!

 

Long story short, nitrates back down to 5 where I like them, and the tank seems perfectly happy again. 

 

 

IMG_2136.JPG

 

Pinwheel Zoa on the left and Rasta Zoa on the right

 

IMG_2137.JPG

 

Rasta Zoa

 

IMG_2119.JPG

 

Yoda Zoas

 

IMG_2133.JPG

 

Nebula Palys

 

IMG_2132.JPG

 

FTS

 

IMG_2126.jpeg

 

Busy corner view 😊

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
On 3/25/2019 at 12:26 AM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Haven't figured out the right light spectrum for the gorgonian or the sun coral yet. I'm running a Current Orbit LED system. Anybody have any settings that work well with gorgs and sun corals I could try out?

 

IMG_2108.thumb.JPG.2964bf120b20bfdf8fe1d303b63f64bd.JPG

 

Those two don’t need a lot of light. Sun corals can live upside down in caves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

Actually those 2 corals don't need any light, they're NPS, they need to be target fed every other day. Your Yellow Watchman goby needs a pistol shrimp too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
7 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Actually those 2 corals don't need any light, they're NPS, they need to be target fed every other day. Your Yellow Watchman goby needs a pistol shrimp too.

He has one, named Snappy. We hear him in there every day but haven’t seen him in a month. He’s made some nice tunnels though, and I guess between himself and J Edgar Hoover the goby they’ve made a nice fish sized tunnel for J Edgar to hide from the pseudochromis. He’s a red banded pistol. Was tiny when we put him and J Edgar in there, and i have no idea what size he is now. I saw he molted a couple weeks back so I imagine he’s grown.

55C9998C-D00D-437E-A031-5C5CBB3D07A1.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

That's a Randall's pistol, nice little critters. I have a pair of them in one of the runs deep sand bed with a pair of Antenna gobies. If I could only keep 2 things in a small tank it would be a pistol shrimp and their gobies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
27 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

That's a Randall's pistol, nice little critters. I have a pair of them in one of the runs deep sand bed with a pair of Antenna gobies. If I could only keep 2 things in a small tank it would be a pistol shrimp and their gobies.

He'd be a lot more interesting if I ever saw him. As it is, I only ever know he's alive because I hear him. But I guess he's doing his thing in there...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Got a new friend today to help me work on the growing star fish problem. I let them populate on purpose, because at first they were some of the only life we had in the tank, but now there's about 20 of them. And, since I was told it's a female, and because everybody names them "Harly Quinn", I will go another direction and name it Dangly Bells. My kids love Night at the Museum 😊

 

 

IMG_2152.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
asting
On 3/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

He'd be a lot more interesting if I ever saw him. As it is, I only ever know he's alive because I hear him. But I guess he's doing his thing in there...

Over the last decade i've had both randall's and tiger pistol shrimp, and the tiger i have now i see way more often. he is huge though (2.5-3").

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
33 minutes ago, asting said:

Over the last decade i've had both randall's and tiger pistol shrimp, and the tiger i have now i see way more often. he is huge though (2.5-3").

Everything pairs with Tiger pistol shrimp, even the tiny Antenna gobies. My pair of Randall's comes out quite a bit, but the Tiger is out all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
11 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Everything pairs with Tiger pistol shrimp, even the tiny Antenna gobies. My pair of Randall's comes out quite a bit, but the Tiger is out all the time.

Every once in a blue moon I'll see him pass by the opening to his tunnels right at the front of the tank. Other than that, we just hear snaps. I saw him yesterday or the day before and he hadn't put on much weight. But I'm sure he gets plenty of food- that rock has plenty of current around it to pull in stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Today was supposed to be water change day, but the tank parameters are so good I decided to wait. The nitrates are at 0, which wasn't exactly what I wanted, but not terrible either. I feed everyone well enough that there should be ample nutrients. Using the API test kits is so frustrating at times, and I'd love to have a Hanna checker for phosphates just fall into my lap, but I know that's dreaming. My API results always show my phos levels at somewhere in between 0 and 0.25, so I usually just call the difference at 0.125. That being said, they showed a more firm 0.25 color last night, so I went ahead and replaced my Phosbond out to pull the phos out for a while. Will have to watch my calcium levels though so they don't skyrocket. I haven't had to dose any calcium or even the Reef Fusion 1 bottle in forever, because the Ca levels have been holding so steady lately. The KH levels had dropped a tiny bit to 10/179, so I did end up dosing Reef Fusion 2. I got a digital pH reader because I was sick -again- of the color charts from API; those numbers have been holding steady at 7.5-7.9. I'd like more of an 8-8.3 so I put a minuscule amount of kalk in the ATO water to help boost those numbers a bit. 

 

On the whole, everybody is looking fairly good except for my Fire and Ice zoas, which got pretty beat up by the crabs, snails and husband when they kept knocking them off their ledge and then he tried gluing them in place. I hope they'll recover and start looking better. The teeny weeny Pinwheel zoa is so small-it came to me as a single head and I'm not sure if it's in a great place for flow considering it's tiny size. The Rasta next to it is happy as it can be, so I just figure the little Pinwheel is annoyed because it's so small and exposed. 

 

I'm afraid Dangly Bells has already cleaned up all the star fish in the tank, so I guess tomorrow I'll be heading to the LFS to see if they have any to replenish stock. May see about picking up some live rock while there for the pico tank I'm wanting to start... 

 

IMG_2193.JPG

 

Bumble bee snail- he and his brother are solid little workers- I love them!

 

IMG_2194.JPG

 

HI.

 

IMG_2195.JPG

 

One of my Halloween hermits

 

IMG_2196.JPG

 

I love these colorful workers

 

IMG_2197.JPG

 

Mostly happy gorgonian

 

IMG_2198.JPG

 

Nebula palys

 

IMG_2200.JPG

 

Dangly Bells hiding out

 

IMG_2201.JPG

 

Dangly Bells likes this little hidy hole.

 

IMG_2212.JPG

 

Sun corals opening up for dinner.

 

IMG_2213.jpeg

 

Coming soon.......

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Today was supposed to be water change day, but the tank parameters are so good I decided to wait. The nitrates are at 0, which wasn't exactly what I wanted, but not terrible either. I feed everyone well enough that there should be ample nutrients. Using the API test kits is so frustrating at times, and I'd love to have a Hanna checker for phosphates just fall into my lap, but I know that's dreaming. My API results always show my phos levels at somewhere in between 0 and 0.25, so I usually just call the difference at 0.125. That being said, they showed a more firm 0.25 color last night, so I went ahead and replaced my Phosbond out to pull the phos out for a while. Will have to watch my calcium levels though so they don't skyrocket. I haven't had to dose any calcium or even the Reef Fusion 1 bottle in forever, because the Ca levels have been holding so steady lately. The KH levels had dropped a tiny bit to 10/179, so I did end up dosing Reef Fusion 2. I got a digital pH reader because I was sick -again- of the color charts from API; those numbers have been holding steady at 7.5-7.9. I'd like more of an 8-8.3 so I put a minuscule amount of kalk in the ATO water to help boost those numbers a bit. 

 

On the whole, everybody is looking fairly good except for my Fire and Ice zoas, which got pretty beat up by the crabs, snails and husband when they kept knocking them off their ledge and then he tried gluing them in place. I hope they'll recover and start looking better. The teeny weeny Pinwheel zoa is so small-it came to me as a single head and I'm not sure if it's in a great place for flow considering it's tiny size. The Rasta next to it is happy as it can be, so I just figure the little Pinwheel is annoyed because it's so small and exposed. 

 

I'm afraid Dangly Bells has already cleaned up all the star fish in the tank, so I guess tomorrow I'll be heading to the LFS to see if they have any to replenish stock. May see about picking up some live rock while there for the pico tank I'm wanting to start... 

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.jpeg

 

Things are looking good in there. 😃

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Things are looking good in there. 😃

I even have some fine coralline algae starting to grow on the back glass-- my tank baby sitter will be happy! I remember how freaked out she was that I had none in my tank and tried to insist that my tank had therefore not cycled at all..... with all that coral growing and happy.... The clean up crew does a fantastic job so I'm very happy with them. Only guys I've lost, or misplaced, are the nassarius snails. They're either dead or buried and I haven't seen them in ages, but the snails I do have are doing great. So not missing the nassarius snails too much. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I even have some fine coralline algae starting to grow on the back glass-- my tank baby sitter will be happy! I remember how freaked out she was that I had none in my tank and tried to insist that my tank had therefore not cycled at all..... with all that coral growing and happy.... The clean up crew does a fantastic job so I'm very happy with them. Only guys I've lost, or misplaced, are the nassarius snails. They're either dead or buried and I haven't seen them in ages, but the snails I do have are doing great. So not missing the nassarius snails too much. 

 

They are probably still around in there somewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00

Had trouble finding your tank, maybe add some tags up top 🙄

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

Had trouble finding your tank, maybe add some tags up top 🙄

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:

 

 

Richard. 😄

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Had trouble finding your tank, maybe add some tags up top 🙄

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:

 

Well you know, when you're bored, and you're thinking about Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon's "hashtag" spoof, it adds up....

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Richard. 😄

🥀

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

🥀

Richard is kind of wilt-y 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Richard is kind of wilt-y 

 

I went to school with a guy named Dick Wilt. 😄 poor dude.  

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...