SaltCritters.com

Finally got the background up on the Evo, as was suggested to hide the ugly cords. Of course, now there's a pretty bad reflection visible of the window and lamp, but I think the background is fair. If only it was a solid wall of coralline algae 😏. 
Β 
Found an ENORMOUS aptasia on the back of that scroll/monti on the far right. Was able to scrape the thing out bodily while doing the water change, because god knows the peppermint shrimp is too lazy to do anything about it. He's so lazy.
Β 
Everything is running well in this little tank, and makes me happy!!Β 
Β 

Β 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Nice! The black background looks great! 😁

Thanks! I just wish there was more coralline growing back there. I hope the booster I dumped in there a couple of weeks ago takes off like fire- dumped a bunch more purple coralline in.Β 

• Like 1

The new background makes things quick a bit darker in the Evo now, but since I took the macro out of the back chamber for refugium fail #2, I have the unused light available, which happens to do blue/red and blue-red spectrum. So I swung it over the tank, and it sits right over the Acan echinata. That coral actually seems much happier for the extra blues-it has even repaired itself in a small spot that had started showing skeleton from damage. So I think I'll keep the lights.

Β 

Β 

IMG_7368.thumb.jpeg.f68b5130310c32b3089cbe81831f7178.jpeg

IMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.b98875ab720db4a61657ace12715ea0c.jpeg

IMG_7363.thumb.jpeg.2e2b2efed6cecb34c93430d882c06583.jpeg

Β 

The appearance of two of these little guys makes me super happy- I feel like since I didn't put them in there, if they've shown up something is going right in there!

Β 

IMG_7361.thumb.jpeg.12773f7951c4258a0706067d92f16ad0.jpeg

Β 

Β 

Frank Hamer says GO AWAY LADY

Β 

IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.b6ec4444f5a8d15de18c9b05e2caef35.jpegIMG_7357.thumb.jpeg.1968ba102a13785480d0a5dd81b8534d.jpeg

Β 

Β 

The two RFAs have sneaked closer to each other. May end up with a little flower garden. Maybe end up getting a couple more after Christmas.

IMG_7358.thumb.jpeg.97459b6189ad698786d84356d3cc3a5f.jpeg

Β 

Β 

Finally the hammer seems perfectly happy

Β 

IMG_7360.thumb.jpeg.3809682f741e042b393aae9f6908ecd5.jpeg

Β 

Β 

He's like a little stalker in the bushes....

IMG_7362.thumb.jpeg.66c688522feea6affec3ae4e422f5e83.jpeg

• Like 6
On 12/14/2019 at 6:49 PM, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Thanks! I just wish there was more coralline growing back there. I hope the booster I dumped in there a couple of weeks ago takes off like fire- dumped a bunch more purple coralline in.Β 

No, you don’t want that stuff covering your back wall ..... you just don’t know it yet. Β 
the black looks great!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

No, you don’t want that stuff covering your back wall ..... you just don’t know it yet. Β 
the black looks great!

It’s actually an image of live rock but it’ nice and dark so it’s hard to tell exactly what it is. Blends in real well with the coralline on the bulkhead.Β 

• 3 weeks later...

So it’s been a week since I last saw Frank Hamer the antenna goby. I heard his pistol shrimp snapping in the tank when I got

home from work NYE, and he continued to snap constantly for about 30 straight minutes. Frank Hamer had been out with the others for feeding, but I’m afraid his shrimp stunned him with his snaps, or he died for some other reason and the shrimp was trying to ward off whatever was after the body. I’ve seen the shrimp every day now for feeding, but no goby 😒. I wish I knew what had happened. Little dude was my favorite fish in the tank.Β 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Got some top down shots tonight, which was a feat. I'm not sure what the secret is for how to do this while keeping the proper lighting and yet not get the LED reflection on the surface of the picture?Β 
Β 
Also, got a couple new faces in there tonight. New Years Eve when I got home from work, I fed this tank as normal and saw everybody in there come out for dinner. The antenna goby Frank Hamer, his pistol shrimp Melvin Purvis, Billy and Dilly, the peppermint shrimp and the strawberry crab The Brain. However a couple hours later I heard the pistol shrimp start snapping over and over and over like a little fire cracker himself and he wouldn't stop. I know Frank Hamer was down in the burrow with him, and I've never seen him again since that night. I assume either something hurt Frank Hamer, or something was attacking him or the worms were at him and the pistol was snapping to defend them. Or maybe he decided he didn't like Frank Hamer and was trying to off him. Either way, pretty sure he stunned Frank Hamer to death. 😒. So I waited two weeks to see if there would be any sign of little Frank, but I never saw him again. Have seen the pistol out and about multiple times, without Frank. So I assume Frank is gone to the great ocean in the sky. 
Β 
I decided today that it had been long enough to prove he wasn't going to reappear, and went to the LFS to see if she had a paired set of antenna gobies since I liked them so much. She happened to have a pair that had been living in the same burrow for the last few months, so I took them home today. They are doing well so far, and I think (hope) I removed the largest threat to them in the tank, which was The Brain. They are so far acting like a good pair, settling down with each other in the same spot in the rocks. I'm excited to see what they get up to.Β 
Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Le DirtΓ© Brute Squad 13.5g- Seven Months Strong
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo- Seven Months Strong

So I changed the tank name because it’s a tank full of gangsta fish. Billy and Dolly (Billy Frechette and John Dillinger) and Bonnie and Clyde are all putting up with one another but I do worry there could be a battle coming up...Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

It was a beautiful evening in the neighborhood for Sister Margaret’s school of wayward fish thugs. Everybody looking good in there, like a little thug fish family. Even the pistol came out to play.Β 
Β 

Β 

• Like 3

So today I was bored and needed to have a change of scenery, and some frozen cyclops, so I wandered down the street to my LFS. They had two amazing corals for reasonable prices (I thought they were kind of steals actually for the size). Got a big red goniopora for this tank and a big green bubble coral for the SCA. I’ve put the goni on the back side of the rock structure and it’s big enough that extended you see it above the rocks and easily from the end. The rest of the inhabitants are all doing real well and the corals adding polyps and heads. I wish I had a bit more coralline algae growth but as the corals themselves are growing I guess I can’t complain much.Β 
Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo- πŸ‘Ή8 months old
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Gorgonian?Β 

😬😬😬😬 Distracted by sick little boys. It’s a red wavy coral. Best you get today while I wait on rescue pizza.Β 

• Haha 3
23 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

😬😬😬😬 Distracted by sick little boys. It’s a red wavy coral. Best you get today while I wait on rescue pizza.Β 

Wait ..... you have a red gorg?Β 

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Wait ..... you have a red gorg?Β 

No it’s a red goniopora. I don’t know why gorgonian popped into my head. Worried about my little dude I guess.Β 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Monday while I was away at work my husband found Billy and Dilly fighting. Since neither of us to could be there to referee, we pulled Dilly out and threw him in the competition 5g for the day. When I got home, I switched them, and put Billy in there instead. They stayed separated until today, when I broke down and rescaped the tank. It has seemed to help. There was some bickering at first but eventually they started doing their submissive dance. It would appear that Dilly has had a growth spurt and perhaps is trying to change sex. It also appeared that the antenna gobies were trying to push them out of their territory, adding to the drama.Β 
Β 

At least tonight they all look happy again, after some clownfish marital counseling and redecorating their house.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 3

Shots from the Evo. Seems to be fairly happy after the big rock scape shake up. Billy and Dilly β€œtolerate” each other at the moment. They stay on opposite sides of the rock, and won’t really swim together anymore. Typical married couple πŸ˜‘

Β 

Got my husband a harlequin shrimp for Valentine’s Day. It’s more blue spotted and he’s happy- he loves those shrimp. Bought a bag full of asterina for it to snack on.Β 
Β 

Β 

Β 

6B4B92BC-F2FF-4E60-8A60-7ACC564B2E53.jpeg

• Like 2
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Sister Margarets School for Wayward Girls 13.5g Evo (June 2021 TOTM). Random Update with Foto