inTank Media Baskets

Filter Media Combo Feedback

dhjunkie

I'm looking for reassurance that this part of my setup is generally "correct". Current inhabitants in a skimmerless 20 gal are a pair of clowns and an emerald crab. In an aq70 (from bottom to top) I run Polyfill (pillow stuffing), purigen, activated carbon, and last, a bag of bio media to keep the media stack in place. The polyfill gets changed weekly, carbon changed approx monthly and purigen gets recharged as needed.   Also, I'm considering adding gfo to the mix. What do y'all think? Am I missing anything, any overkill?  Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to use gfo? If it's not needed, I wouldn't add it as its use is to reduce phos. If there are no phos issues it can create one by stripping the tank of nutrients.

The other media is commonly used.

I change floss 2 times a week, use smaller quantities of carbon and change it out every 2 weeks.

I replace purigen when it browns.

Personally I'd ditch the purigen and just get some seachem matrix instead. Why use purigen you gotta replace when you can just use a permanent bio media? How much live rock do you have?

I mean, I say why not just let the bio media do it's work... purigen is kind of a cheat that your tank will come to rely on in my estimation. I've never ran it before, but that's my philosophy on it. I guess it makes sense if you don't have room for more bio-filtration, or you do and just feed so damn much that it still can't keep up.