SaltCritters.com

Where does the algae come from?

ReeferND

Hey everyone. So I am starting a new tank after the last one crashed due to a bacterial problem. As I am starting my new tank, I am following the BRS/WWC 4 month cycle and I am about to the point of turning the lights on. Obviously, most would think that if I turn them on with high nitrates and phos after cycle that algae will just take off....but why? I live in North Dakota (literally couldn't be further from an ocean) and it is -40F outside....no other tanks in the house....where would this algae come from?

Short: in a situation where there is no algae in the surrounding environment how does algae get into our tanks?

Just curious 😉

I find that algae often comes in on snails.  But even water from fish can contain algae spores.  Obviously rock and coral frags often contain algae.  It's hard to avoid, even when it's not visible at the time.

I did a series of experiments and was able to culture phytoplankton in saltwater that was on my screened-in porch.  And I live in Iowa.  Now I don't expect that other marine macroalgae will magically appear without introducing it (accidentally or intentionally), but hair algae seems to find a way in on tank additions.

• Like 1

I cycled a tank with just dry rock and sand without ever adding bacteria...but the bacteria still appeared.....and I got the small GHA bloom after too.

I suspect stuff travels far inland as spores and what not.

• Like 2