Pod Your Reef

IM Fusion 20 - Back into the hobby!

clabern

So it's been 2-3 years since I tore down my IM Nuvo 8, and JBJ 30 Rimless before it, but the itch is back and I'm starting up an IM Fusion 20. Tank began on February 16th, 2019.

IMG_20190217_170208.thumb.jpg.dd35edca851b0b65eb917e8f528b22d4.jpg

Equipment:

Innovative Marine Fusion 20

Aqua Illuminations Prime HD

EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 75W Cobalt Neo-Therm 100W Heater

Innovative Marine Spin-Streams (2)

InTank Media Baskets (2) (Filter Floss - Purigen in one, Filter Floss - Chemi-Pure Elite in one)

InTank Refugium Baskets (2) - One with rubble/matrix and one for chaeto.

Innovative Marine ChaetoMax Refugium Light

Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 Return Pump (On the way, stock IM pump is incredibly loud!)

Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti ATO Reservoir

AutoAqua AWC - All-in-One Automatic Water Changer/Auto Top-Off

Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti ATO Return Bracket

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix

Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System (RO/DI Unit)

20lbs of CaribSea Special Grade ARAG-ALIVE! Reef Sand

10lbs of Premium Live Rock (from LFS)

Possible Stocking List (Recommendations are very welcome!):

1 - Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

2 - Cerith Snails
2 - Scarlet Hermits
1 - Nasarrius Snail
1 - Trochus Snail

1 - Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 - Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 - Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby
1 - Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

I'll be posting updates as I continue my journey! Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 1

Just some info on where I'm at/where I've started.

After getting the tank wet (live sand and rock placed and filled) I'm letting it cycle without any lights or filter media (using the included filter socks to pull out initial gunk, should I remove these and go completely filter-less for now?). I'm also not quite sure what sort of cycle I'm going to have. The rock came straight from my LFS holding tanks (he has a very large holding tank of rock teaming with life) in buckets of water from the holding tank and straight into my tank, so hopefully minimal die-off. I'm already seeing lots of life in/around the rocks/glass (including some worms which I believe are bristle, I've made a post on the ID thread...).

I did an initial parameter check this morning (February 17th) using the API Saltwater Master kit (I will eventually be getting some better testing supplies/equip), and here's what it looked like:

IMG_20190217_111411.thumb.jpg.aa05180c881209e54ccf71bd1e1e2b10.jpg

I believe the ammonia is 0 or near it (was hard to get a good picture of the color), 0 Nitrites, but Nitrates seem high, no? Any recommendations from here? Should I add a small bit of food (ghost feeding) or just let it even out with any die-off from the live rock? This is my first time cycling with all live sand/live rock so I'm not sure what to expect. 

I would do some ghost feeding and see if you get any sort of ammonia reading.  If not, your bacteria may be established enough.

Wouldn't hurt to change some water out to lower your nitrates.

• Like 1

Well, not even a week into the new tank and already dealing with problems... NO POWAH! Bad weather here in VA left me without power since yesterday evening. First time I've gone this long without power since living here in 5 years (I live in a small subdivision with underground lines, I've only ever experienced small outtages here and there...). 

Unfortunately I didn't have any backup plans in place so the tank has just been sitting. I figure I'll just have to monitor it once things come back up, luckily just cycling so no fish or corals to worry about. Temp has dipped down to 58 now though (same as ambient  temp in the house).

I guess this will push forward my plans to purchase a generator for backup. Definitely don't want to have to manage this once I've actually got fish/corals in the tank.

• Wow 1

I'm in southeast VA and had to bust out the portable generator a few times last year.  Definitely a worthwhile investment.  You can also buy battery powered air pumps to help, but I just pull out the Yamaha generator and run pumps and heater until power comes back on.

2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I'm in southeast VA and had to bust out the portable generator a few times last year.  Definitely a worthwhile investment.  You can also buy battery powered air pumps to help, but I just pull out the Yamaha generator and run pumps and heater until power comes back on.

Yea, I'm in the Roanoke area myself. It's really just our one subdivision that's out. They've now updated it to tomorrow by 4PM, there were lots of bucket trucks at the downed line this evening so I was hoping it'd be tonight, but I guess not.

I'll definitely be investing in a portable generator. Luckily I work for an electrical distributor (I do IT/Admin though) so I should be able to get something nice.

Luckily the LFS had one battery operated air pump left, so I threw that in.

• Like 1

Another update:

Power came back on last Friday afternoon. Tank slowly came back up to temp and things looked to have survived well. All of the worms, stars, etc came right back out like nothing had happened. Water parameters still in check (no ammonia or nitrites to speak of, nitrates still a little high (20ppm)). Did another water change that evening.

I swapped out the Eheim heater with a Cobalt Neo-Therm 100W. The Eheim 75W was just too large for this tank. The Neo-therm fits perfectly, and is working well. Received the Sicce pump in the mail but haven't had a chance to swap it out.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Glad you got through the outage no worse for the wear! Fortunately cycling tanks can handle colder temps for a while, life just slows down. Not a bad crash course in being prepared for future outages!

This reminds me I need to buy a battery powered air pump myself too!