clownfish14

Clownfish14’s Pico Adventure

Hey there everyone!

Its been a while since I’ve been on here (or had a tank) but I’m finally getting back into it. I’m not to sure what the next few years hold for me as far as moving goes, so I decided to stay small and simple (although we all know reef tanks never stay simple 😂).

I figured I would start up this thread to document my process and show off the tank a bit. Its going to be a slow start (the tank is getting here today) but soon we will get it going with maybe a fish and some coral.

Here is an equipment list so far:

Lifeguard Aquatics Mini AIO 4 gal

Zetlight Aqua Systems Pico Controlable LED

Hydor 25w Heater

Neptune Apex Controller (leftover from my old setup)

Marco Rock ~5 pounds

Marco Rock Sand ~5 pounds

That’s basically it it so far. As I said I’m getting the tank today and some of the equipment will be getting here this week. I’ll update as I progress. My main goal with this tank is to keep it clean cheap and simple. As far as coral goes I’m thinking some zoos maybe some lower light lps and possibly some shrooms.

Ill be keeping the current FTS here:

2/20/19

08FCFA8F-12D9-45BF-A2C2-DD393A7DA3A0_zps

Thanks for reading!

-Nick

• Like 3

Welcome back @clownfish14! 👋

I first saw that Lifegard Aquatics AIO tank at MACNA last year, it's a handsome little system! Are you getting the peninsula style AIO or the traditional style? I can't remember which is which, just that they had two little tank styles around that size 🙂 

Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @clownfish14! 👋

I first saw that Lifegard Aquatics AIO tank at MACNA last year, it's a handsome little system! Are you getting the peninsula style AIO or the traditional style? I can't remember which is which, just that they had two little tank styles around that size 🙂 

Thanks! It’s good to be back! It’s the traditional style with the filter all along the back. I was looking at the peninsula but it’s going on my bedside table and I figured this one would have a better view from the front and left side. I’m excited to open the box and check it out today! 

• Like 1

I got the same tank as a Christmas present!  It's really cool.  Looking forward to seeing yours get going and progress.  I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with mine yet but hope to have it running sometime this year!

On 2/17/2019 at 1:38 PM, SeaFurn said:

I got the same tank as a Christmas present!  It's really cool.  Looking forward to seeing yours get going and progress.  I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with mine yet but hope to have it running sometime this year!

Awesome! Yeah I just got the tank out of the box a few min ago and so far I’m impressed. I was really suppressed that the divider for the filter section is glass. That’s a very nice touch.

• Like 1

Update 2/19/19

Got the tank yesterday and set it up with some freshwater for a leak test. So far so good as far as that goes. I did notice that the pump that the tank comes with isn’t quite cutting it. There is actually a pretty significant temp difference between the display and the filter area which tells me the water isn’t circulating fast enough. I pulled out an old MJ900 I had laying around and modified it a bit to fit in the 4x3 chamber but unfortunately  it was to much for the overflow to handle 🙄. So I’m not sure what I’m going to do. If anyone has any ideas for pumps that might fit I’d love to check them out.

In other news I decided to order a custom aquascape piece from my friend Jestersix! He got it done in one night and I can’t wait to get it into the tank!

I should be getting the light and some other stuff today so I’ll update again within the next few days.

-Nick

AE0D21A4-819C-4E15-AEF1-781BA6866260_zps

62AF9FBD-3C02-4D4E-95EB-B1D7DAF4F55A_zps

6F72A891-1A95-49E2-9464-6F333CB90D5C_zps

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, clownfish14 said:

Update 2/19/19

Got the tank yesterday and set it up with some freshwater for a leak test. So far so good as far as that goes. I did notice that the pump that the tank comes with isn’t quite cutting it. There is actually a pretty significant temp difference between the display and the filter area which tells me the water isn’t circulating fast enough. I pulled out an old MJ900 I had laying around and modified it a bit to fit in the 4x3 chamber but unfortunately  it was to much for the overflow to handle 🙄. So I’m not sure what I’m going to do. If anyone has any ideas for pumps that might fit I’d love to check them out.

In other news I decided to order a custom aquascape piece from my friend Jestersix! He got it done in one night and I can’t wait to get it into the tank!

I should be getting the light and some other stuff today so I’ll update again within the next few days.

-Nick

AE0D21A4-819C-4E15-AEF1-781BA6866260_zps

62AF9FBD-3C02-4D4E-95EB-B1D7DAF4F55A_zps

6F72A891-1A95-49E2-9464-6F333CB90D5C_zps

Love that scape! 

I was looking at some other pumps as well. I think the Sicce synchra silent 0.5 or the Eheim Compacton 600 would fit if I remember correctly. 

You may have to increase the length / width of the overflow or plan to keep the return flow rate low enough for the overflow to handle and get a separate wave pump...although room for that is at a premium. 

Update 2/20/19

WE HAVE LIGHT!

08FCFA8F-12D9-45BF-A2C2-DD393A7DA3A0_zps

Finally got the light up on the tank and I’m actually impressed! It comes with a controller that allows you to set sunrise and sunset features as well as even earlier/later dawn and dusk. There’s no fan or anything so it’s dead silent and there’s very little light spill. I’m excited to see how the corals do with it!

@SeaFurn

As far as the pump goes I think I’m going to go with the final aquatics mini mj 606. It’s adjustable from 80 ish to 150 ish which should give me enough control to shove as much water as I can through that overflow. Unfortunately it is a glass divider which is cool... but I can’t really add and slots to the overflow without some serious work. Worst case I could just grab like the Hydor Pico or something and stick it in the display.

-Nick

• Like 1

Looks good! 

Now get that awesome scape in there and get cycling!! 

14 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Looks good! 

Now get that awesome scape in there and get cycling!! 

It gets here Friday! 😁😁😁

• Like 1