SaltCritters.com

Clownfish14’s Pico Adventure

clownfish14

Hey there everyone!

Its been a while since I’ve been on here (or had a tank) but I’m finally getting back into it. I’m not to sure what the next few years hold for me as far as moving goes, so I decided to stay small and simple (although we all know reef tanks never stay simple 😂).

I figured I would start up this thread to document my process and show off the tank a bit. Its going to be a slow start (the tank is getting here today) but soon we will get it going with maybe a fish and some coral.

Here is an equipment list so far (Updated 8/15/23)

Lifeguard Aquatics Mini AIO 4 gal

AI Prime16 HD

Eheim Jager 25w Heater

Finnex HC-820M Digital Heater Controller

Duetto2 Dual-Sensor Complete Aquarium ATO 

Marco Rock ~5 pounds

Ocean Direct Sand

That’s basically it it so far. As I said I’m getting the tank today and some of the equipment will be getting here this week. I’ll update as I progress. My main goal with this tank is to keep it clean cheap and simple. As far as coral goes I’m thinking some zoos maybe some lower light lps and possibly some shrooms.

Ill be keeping the current FTS here:

TANK TORN DOWN 2/1/2020
TANK RESET 6/1/2023

FTS 8/15/2023

IMG_3549.thumb.jpeg.a3750f44cf0500741c4345bc3012ab60.jpeg

4/02/19

D3CBD026-AF59-416D-ADF3-EF7C9900F677_zps

2/20/19

08FCFA8F-12D9-45BF-A2C2-DD393A7DA3A0_zps

Thanks for reading!

-Nick

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @clownfish14! 👋

I first saw that Lifegard Aquatics AIO tank at MACNA last year, it's a handsome little system! Are you getting the peninsula style AIO or the traditional style? I can't remember which is which, just that they had two little tank styles around that size 🙂 

Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @clownfish14! 👋

I first saw that Lifegard Aquatics AIO tank at MACNA last year, it's a handsome little system! Are you getting the peninsula style AIO or the traditional style? I can't remember which is which, just that they had two little tank styles around that size 🙂 

Thanks! It’s good to be back! It’s the traditional style with the filter all along the back. I was looking at the peninsula but it’s going on my bedside table and I figured this one would have a better view from the front and left side. I’m excited to open the box and check it out today! 

• Like 1

I got the same tank as a Christmas present!  It's really cool.  Looking forward to seeing yours get going and progress.  I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with mine yet but hope to have it running sometime this year!

On 2/17/2019 at 1:38 PM, SeaFurn said:

I got the same tank as a Christmas present!  It's really cool.  Looking forward to seeing yours get going and progress.  I haven't decided exactly what I want to do with mine yet but hope to have it running sometime this year!

Awesome! Yeah I just got the tank out of the box a few min ago and so far I’m impressed. I was really suppressed that the divider for the filter section is glass. That’s a very nice touch.

• Like 1

Update 2/19/19

Got the tank yesterday and set it up with some freshwater for a leak test. So far so good as far as that goes. I did notice that the pump that the tank comes with isn’t quite cutting it. There is actually a pretty significant temp difference between the display and the filter area which tells me the water isn’t circulating fast enough. I pulled out an old MJ900 I had laying around and modified it a bit to fit in the 4x3 chamber but unfortunately  it was to much for the overflow to handle 🙄. So I’m not sure what I’m going to do. If anyone has any ideas for pumps that might fit I’d love to check them out.

In other news I decided to order a custom aquascape piece from my friend Jestersix! He got it done in one night and I can’t wait to get it into the tank!

I should be getting the light and some other stuff today so I’ll update again within the next few days.

-Nick

AE0D21A4-819C-4E15-AEF1-781BA6866260_zps

62AF9FBD-3C02-4D4E-95EB-B1D7DAF4F55A_zps

6F72A891-1A95-49E2-9464-6F333CB90D5C_zps

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, clownfish14 said:

Update 2/19/19

Got the tank yesterday and set it up with some freshwater for a leak test. So far so good as far as that goes. I did notice that the pump that the tank comes with isn’t quite cutting it. There is actually a pretty significant temp difference between the display and the filter area which tells me the water isn’t circulating fast enough. I pulled out an old MJ900 I had laying around and modified it a bit to fit in the 4x3 chamber but unfortunately  it was to much for the overflow to handle 🙄. So I’m not sure what I’m going to do. If anyone has any ideas for pumps that might fit I’d love to check them out.

In other news I decided to order a custom aquascape piece from my friend Jestersix! He got it done in one night and I can’t wait to get it into the tank!

I should be getting the light and some other stuff today so I’ll update again within the next few days.

-Nick

AE0D21A4-819C-4E15-AEF1-781BA6866260_zps

62AF9FBD-3C02-4D4E-95EB-B1D7DAF4F55A_zps

6F72A891-1A95-49E2-9464-6F333CB90D5C_zps

Love that scape! 

I was looking at some other pumps as well. I think the Sicce synchra silent 0.5 or the Eheim Compacton 600 would fit if I remember correctly. 

You may have to increase the length / width of the overflow or plan to keep the return flow rate low enough for the overflow to handle and get a separate wave pump...although room for that is at a premium. 

Update 2/20/19

WE HAVE LIGHT!

08FCFA8F-12D9-45BF-A2C2-DD393A7DA3A0_zps

Finally got the light up on the tank and I’m actually impressed! It comes with a controller that allows you to set sunrise and sunset features as well as even earlier/later dawn and dusk. There’s no fan or anything so it’s dead silent and there’s very little light spill. I’m excited to see how the corals do with it!

@SeaFurn

As far as the pump goes I think I’m going to go with the final aquatics mini mj 606. It’s adjustable from 80 ish to 150 ish which should give me enough control to shove as much water as I can through that overflow. Unfortunately it is a glass divider which is cool... but I can’t really add and slots to the overflow without some serious work. Worst case I could just grab like the Hydor Pico or something and stick it in the display.

-Nick

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
clownfish14

Hey everyone. It’s been a while since my last update and we’ve had a few changes!

Finally got the cycle finished and added in little watchman goby. The one and only fish going in this tank.

Next came some coral of course. I added a few zoanthids in as well as a nice mushroom.

I did have an issue with flow and surface skimming so I went ahead and got a surface skimmer from InTank. I also got a filter floss holder. The surface skimmer was great but I still wasn’t able to amp up the flow to what I wanted. Therefore I had to DIY a bit. I basically cut out the old overflow (which is made of glass 🙄) and now use the surface skimmer as a proper overflow. It also allows me to control the water level in the display.

Anyways.... enough chat. Here are a few updated photos.

BED8D687-F037-490D-9D7C-784977BB0423_zps

11402DA9-1DB7-4766-8B93-BEF53D78D875_zps

0FD39E60-8AA9-4EBC-B2E8-71E65281B1FD_zps

29B00614-3014-4868-920C-EE0F4D7B5A01_zps

Thanks,

Nick

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
clownfish14

Finally caved and bought a Smart ATO Micro. I am surprisingly impressed. This thing is insanely tiny. Hopefully it lives up to its reviews. I’ll update with pics in a week or so.

• 1 month later...

I didn’t know this tank had owners here @clownfish14

I just bought this tank through Amazon and it’s cycling now at my office. I can’t wait to follow both of your threads. I hope it’s okay if I ask questions as I go along?

@debbeach13, do you have a tank journal?

clownfish14
3 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I didn’t know this tank had owners here @clownfish14

I just bought this tank through Amazon and it’s cycling now at my office. I can’t wait to follow both of your threads. I hope it’s okay if I ask questions as I go along?

Awesome! It’s a great little tank. Feel free to ask away! I look forward to seeing your build thread.

• Thanks 1

What pump did you end up with? I stopped by PetSmart of all places since my LFS didn’t have a 606 in stock and picked up something that might work. I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow. Seeing your thread makes me want to run up to work today and test it out.  Do you remember the model numbers of the floss holder that worked for this tank?  

debbeach13
58 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I do not. My current tank set up is a KISS 20L been set up for about 5 years. Several mini crashes due to health issues/hospital stays. Had to retire and now just keep a softy inexpensive tank for fun. Nothing to really show off. But still love this hobby.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, clownfish14 said:

Hey everyone. It’s been a while since my last update and we’ve had a few changes!

Finally got the cycle finished and added in little watchman goby. The one and only fish going in this tank.

Next came some coral of course. I added a few zoanthids in as well as a nice mushroom.

I did have an issue with flow and surface skimming so I went ahead and got a surface skimmer from InTank. I also got a filter floss holder. The surface skimmer was great but I still wasn’t able to amp up the flow to what I wanted. Therefore I had to DIY a bit. I basically cut out the old overflow (which is made of glass 🙄) and now use the surface skimmer as a proper overflow. It also allows me to control the water level in the display.

Anyways.... enough chat. Here are a few updated photos.

BED8D687-F037-490D-9D7C-784977BB0423_zps

11402DA9-1DB7-4766-8B93-BEF53D78D875_zps

0FD39E60-8AA9-4EBC-B2E8-71E65281B1FD_zps

29B00614-3014-4868-920C-EE0F4D7B5A01_zps

Thanks,

Nick

Nice build! Which filter floss holder is that?

• 6 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:31 AM, Stoops718 said:

Nice build! Which filter floss holder is that?

Thanks, its homemade out of some moldable plastic that I heated up.

How's the tank coming along?  I turned mine into a pest tank, but i'm struggling to source pests for it. 

Another issue I'm facing is that I overestimated the size of this tank and I have too much rock which makes it almost impossible to clean. 

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

Hello everyone!

Long time no see! I ended up moving about a year after I set this tank up initially and haven’t gotten around to setting it up again UNTIL NOW! I’m happy to say the Pico Adventure continues in a new state with a bit of new equipment.

I am now running the following:

AI Prime 16 HD

25W Eheim JAGER Aquarium Heater

HC-820M Digital Heater Controller

Duetto2 Dual-Sensor Complete Aquarium ATO System

The Zetlight and Neptune system were great but both went to a friend during the move so replacements were needed. I’m currently trying to avoid a new Neptune for the time being but the itch is there to set up an auto water change system so we will see how long I can last. 

As for the livestock update I went a bit different with my cycle after watching the BRS Biome Cycling series. So I used some Ocean Direct sand, the same Marco Rocks aqua scape, and some fritz turbo start to get the cycle going. I fed the bacteria with some Dr. Tim’s ammonia chloride and that allowed me to complete the full cycle in about 3-4 weeks. I took my time as I’m in no rush this time around. After the cycle the lights got turned on for the first time and a jar of Algae Barns Galaxy Pods were added. I also began to lightly feed some Algae Barn Phytoplankton to make sure the pods had some nutrition until some algae was able to start growing. I continued this phase for about another month. So far I have nothing but amazement towards this Bio Cycling method. I have basically zero algae and tons of happy and fat pods. 

About two weeks ago I went ahead and purchased a Yellow Clown Goby, snails, 2 hermits and a few corals including some Zoas, Hammer, acan, Duncan, and a few mushrooms. Everything is open healthy and thriving!

For maintenance I’ve gone with the every other day water change method. Changing about a gallon a week (25%) this method for me is easier than the weekly change as it’s literally about a cup of water (I don’t even worry about heating the new water). I change out filter floss about 2 times a week and feed a very very small amount of mysis to the clown goby and hermits every day. I’m also continuing to add a small amount of phyto about once a week to make sure the pods and other small critters have something to munch on as well.

I’ll try to keep the first post updated with a FTS as well.

Hope everyone is doing well! It feels great to be back!

IMG_3549.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...