Pod Your Reef

Dymax Skimmer air issues

Rhys

I just got my first skimmer, and I’ve been having problems with large air bubbles. It’s using a limewood air stone and airline tubing to power it. It was bubbling correctly when I first had it in the tank, but I turned it off for just a split second and now the bubbles are huge. All the bubbles have combined into a huge mess and after researching I still haven’t found a solution lol. I’m currently using a Marina 50 air pump to power it. 

Heres a link to the Skimmer

5 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

You need to tune it. Use that little air valve to dial it in to the correct bubble level

Any advice on it? I’ve lowered and raised the air flow and it’s either little to no bubbles on the surface of the water, or it’s large gurgling bubbles that are heard throughout the house.

I'm not too familiar with this skimmer. I know personally my skimmer (Reef octopus classic 110s). Operates at its full potential when the bubbles are set about 1in below the bottom line of the skimmer cup. Just set it and forget it. It'll start skimming eventually. I couldn't get mine to produce skimmate for almost a month. I set it and forgot it and then all of a sudden one day it just started producing very dark skim. 

Chances are that you have your bubble line too high. Skimmers in general are pretty hard to find that sweet spot. It takes a little while. Those small cheaper ones marketed for nano's. Can be VERY tedious to find that sweet spot. 

Don't let your bubble action be in the neck of the cup. Have your bubble line in that tube part. Once your skimmer starts producing like its suppose to. It'll be just nasty tan foam bubbling up into the cup gradually. 

1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

try setting it about right here at that red line and see how that works out. If it keeps bubbling over then set it a little lower and keep toying with it. 

NOTABLE-00003.jpg

So I should raise the air wood with a longer piece of airline tubing? The cup is sitting on the clip and is around an inch above the water. Sorry for the poor pic, it’s the best angle I could get.

87CD5DCA-45B8-446C-9FCD-8D5CF2CDBDC3.jpeg

No to adjust the bubbles you should be using the air valve. Leave the air stone where the manufacturer has it in that picture

I can't tell but something doesn't look right there

5 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

No to adjust the bubbles you should be using the air valve. Leave the air stone where the manufacturer has it in that picture

I can't tell but something doesn't look right there

Okay that’s what I thought. I’ll try and fidget with mine for a while today and see if I can get it working.