Cultivated Reef

Bumble bee snail??? To keep or not to keep

Mike P

Today I went to the opening of a new fish store and saw some bumble bee snails that looked cool. I picked up 2 of them plus a few frags for my evo 12. After looking them up when I got home I’m wondering if I made a mistake. Anyone have experience with these guys? I have 3 astraea snails and one Halloween hermit plus 1 citrinis clown goby in my tank and a few corals. Used to have a couple of more fish but an ich outbreak got them 😢

801900EA-90D4-4FB6-B820-E3D738AD3EE9.jpeg

012D113E-BD6B-4B35-8469-9A8A5882AE41.jpeg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Today I went to the opening of a new fish store and saw some bumble bee snails that looked cool. I picked up 2 of them plus a few frags for my evo 12. After looking them up when I got home I’m wondering if I made a mistake. Anyone have experience with these guys? I have 3 astraea snails and one Halloween hermit plus 1 citrinis clown goby in my tank and a few corals. Used to have a couple of more fish but an ich outbreak got them 😢

801900EA-90D4-4FB6-B820-E3D738AD3EE9.jpeg

012D113E-BD6B-4B35-8469-9A8A5882AE41.jpeg

I have them in both tanks and have had no issues at all. 😊

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have them in both tanks and have had no issues at all. 😊

Thank you, I was just concerned because I saw they can eat other snails and may mess up the micro fauna in the sand 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Thank you, I was just concerned because I saw they can eat other snails and may mess up the micro fauna in the sand 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mine in the sand once. They stay up under the rocks during the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far the have mainly stayed on the glass but I do see them roaming a bit on the sand, they are very fast at getting around and very active. I will just keep an eye on them in case they start doing something bad