Innovative Marine Aquariums

Black fins and hole in my firefish?

KNelson

I have 2 issues with my firefish and I'm having a hard time finding information.  

First - my firefish's fins have some black areas (not spots) and I'm pretty sure it's not finrot.  I noticed the black after my tube nem decided to move to where my firefish's hole was.  The fish got stung a few times before I was able to move the nem.  He moved to a new hole and his lesions have since healed but the black areas have only gotten slightly better. 

Second - last night I noticed what appears to be a hole in the left side of the fish right under the gills.  It definitely does not look like the right side.  The fish isn't acting strangely and is still eating like a fish 3 times his size.  Only thing I can think of is that he injured himself on the rocks.

He is the oldest inhabitant at about 1.5 years.  I have 3 other fish - a citron goby and circus goby (inhabitants for 9 months) and a baby Biota mandarin (inhabitant for 3 weeks).  I have a Bongo shrimp and a few various snails. 

I just tested things this morning and things have been pretty damn stable since I moved to the new tank.  I did a 5g wc maybe 3 weeks ago (and probably didn't need to) with parameters almost exactly the same as today.

8.1pH

0 NH3

0 NO2

0-5 NO3

465 Ca

1380 Mg

0.06 PO4

7.9 dKh (but this was AM testing, normally 7.2-7.5 at lights out with 3ml A+B dosed nightly).

Anyone have ideas on the black areas? 

Anything I can do to help the hole or should I just keep watching to make sure it doesn't get worse? 

20190216_131055.thumb.jpg.bd3c11351e9d95844a3bb5503251db3d.jpg

20190216_111240.thumb.jpg.33e31f6cf4e6592ee336518d4060c1da.jpg

20190216_111352.thumb.jpg.f78073e54ed351e187b762cac7d332cf.jpg

20190216_111440.thumb.jpg.83040b31a51728e5decc89389c4dcc84.jpg

If he got stung, then it's possible that he's now dealing with an infection. His immune system is trying to beat it, but maybe struggling to completely overcome the infection. You have three options:

1. Passive approach - Keep water quality good and start food soaking vitamins to help boost his immune system.
  2. Moderate approach - Start food soaking an antibiotic (e.g. Neomycin, Oxytetracycline or Doxycycline), BUT you must also use a binder, such as Seachem Focus, to protect your corals.
  3. Aggressive approach - QT and dose an antibiotic directly into the water. Kanaplex + Furan-2 would be a good choice. You might even be able to get away with just using an herbal remedy, such as Melafix, in this situation.
  • Thanks 1

@Humblefish

That's what I was hoping to hear.  I thought the 2 issued could possibly be connected but the sting happened a couple of months ago. 

I have Garlic Guard and Selecon.  Would you recommend anything else? 

3 hours ago, KNelson said:

@Humblefish

That's what I was hoping to hear.  I thought the 2 issued could possibly be connected but the sting happened a couple of months ago. 

I have Garlic Guard and Selecon.  Would you recommend anything else? 

Zoecon & Vita-chem

• Thanks 1