Pod Your Reef

Where can I find a good mentor

ECLS Reefer

13 hours ago, Nursecop818 said:

I acclimated the wee little hammer for over an hour 

Feel free to research this, but there is no need to acclimate corals slowly. I just float to temp acclimate, use a dip to kill pests and in they go. 

I only slowly acclimate things like shrimp/crabs (except hermits), ect. 

• Like 3
Polarcollision
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Feel free to research this, but there is no need to acclimate corals slowly. I just float to temp acclimate, use a dip to kill pests and in they go. 

Yes! I don't even float for temp; only take half tank water and half LFS water for the dip. Nothing has died or spent days languishing.

Now that I think about it, it seems like only crabs and delicate smooth skin SPS have gotten a little more time to adjust to the change.

I wonder if that practice came about because coral used to be in worse shape when they arrived from the ocean. Oh, or dark thought, maybe they're already adjusting to worse conditions in the ocean (or lfs) and like captivity better.

• Like 1

Welcome to NR and to reefing. Your are getting some great information already. The toughest part is sorting through it. There are so many ways to approach every thing. How many ways can you acclimate livestock probably 5 or 6 plus variations of each. Of course a lot depends on what the livestock is. The best advise I ever got was go slow and keep your hands out of the tank. Both are hard but will save you so much in money and anxiety. When possible make a note of why you want to put your hand in there. Except for turning that upside down turbo snail right or separating a couple corals that have grown so much that they are touching/fighting wait and do that lets try this coral over here for when you are doing your water change. Continue to research and ask questions and it will be a fun hobby. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Well oops, because I didn't know such things as coral dip existed until now. Hope mine were all pest free because the super helpful fish store lady never mentioned anything about it. I'm sure hers are all pristine, of course. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR and to reefing. Your are getting some great information already. The toughest part is sorting through it. There are so many ways to approach every thing. How many ways can you acclimate livestock probably 5 or 6 plus variations of each. Of course a lot depends on what the livestock is. The best advise I ever got was go slow and keep your hands out of the tank. Both are hard but will save you so much in money and anxiety. When possible make a note of why you want to put your hand in there. Except for turning that upside down turbo snail right or separating a couple corals that have grown so much that they are touching/fighting wait and do that lets try this coral over here for when you are doing your water change. Continue to research and ask questions and it will be a fun hobby. 

My biggest reason for hands in the tank would be the nosy cleaning crew flipping my little coral splits over and knocking them around the tank, needing to put them back where they were happy. So far that seems to be the only thing the cleaning crew truly excels at, is rearranging what they're not supposed to rearrange. 🤦🏽‍♀️

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Nursecop818 said:

My biggest reason for hands in the tank would be the nosy cleaning crew flipping my little coral splits over and knocking them around the tank, needing to put them back where they were happy. So far that seems to be the only thing the cleaning crew truly excels at, is rearranging what they're not supposed to rearrange. 🤦🏽‍♀️

You can buy super glue gel to anchor them down 🙂

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can buy super glue gel to anchor them down 🙂

I have tried epoxy twice and haven't been successful in doing anything but sticking epoxy to my live rock and making it ugly 😭😭😭. Gonna have to find this gel you speak of- I hope it's clear?

7 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

I have tried epoxy twice and haven't been successful in doing anything but sticking epoxy to my live rock and making it ugly 😭😭😭. Gonna have to find this gel you speak of- I hope it's clear?

Ya it is just super glue but the gel form. You can buy it made for corals but the loctite stuff at the hardware store is the same thing too.

When I use epoxy I still dab super glue on each side to make it work better but in most cases you don't need expoy at all and just the glue will do the job. 

BRS videos are pretty amazing to get tips/tricks. this video goes over epoxy vs super glue vs using both at once and a bit over coral placement and light.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya it is just super glue but the gel form. You can buy it made for corals but the loctite stuff at the hardware store is the same thing too.

When I use epoxy I still dab super glue on each side to make it work better but in most cases you don't need expoy at all and just the glue will do the job. 

BRS videos are pretty amazing to get tips/tricks. this video goes over epoxy vs super glue vs using both at once and a bit over coral placement.

Thanks!!!

4 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

Gorilla gel super glue works good. 

using a regular brand of super glue doesn't hurt coral or live stock in the tank?

12 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

using a regular brand of super glue doesn't hurt coral or live stock in the tank?

Super glue is made of cyanoacrylate. It's all the same crap regardless of for corals or not for corals.  Cyanoacrylate is probably listed on the package somewhere. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Super glue is made of cyanoacrylate. It's all the same crap regardless of for corals or not for corals.  Cyanoacrylate is probably listed on the package somewhere. 

Good to know-dont have to waste money on special stuff then if you can buy run of the mill super glue at Wally World.

I use Bayer Insecticide as my coral dip 😉 and some people use Spectracide Stump Remover to dose Nitrates. 

Anti-fungal medicine to kill algae...

Malaria medication to cure fish...

:eek:

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Good to know-dont have to waste money on special stuff then if you can buy run of the mill super glue at Wally World.

Just make sure it is the gel, the liquid will just run all over.

Some of the reef stuff might actually be cheaper if you need a big volume.

I use this brand:

https://www.amazon.com/IC-Gel-Insta-Cyanoacrylate-Coral-Glue/dp/B01N026YZU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=IC+gel&qid=1550608575&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But I also use Loctite gel from Menards when I just want to get something local, nice and thick gel!

• Like 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

Just make sure it is the gel, the liquid will just run all over.

Some of the reef stuff might actually be cheaper if you need a big volume.

I use this brand:

https://www.amazon.com/IC-Gel-Insta-Cyanoacrylate-Coral-Glue/dp/B01N026YZU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=IC+gel&qid=1550608575&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But I also use Loctite gel from Menards when I just want to get something local, nice and thick gel!

Awesome thanks!! I'm still kind of interpreting the comments about the dip and malaria medication/fungal meds?? Whaaaaattt? I guess I didn't realize that's what's in all that stuff but at the same time, I haven't yet had to cross that bridge.

Lol that's some advanced reefing stuff. From this point on, treat all your coral before adding it to your aquarium. Russian roulette. 

Basic stuff....

15506094907986695830674840963618.thumb.jpg.03b539a374063547b27bfbecb4237406.jpg

As a matter of fact I just got my very first online coral order today. One container has corals lfs water other has your aquariim water. Add capful of revive to corral swish around. When done put into the aquarium water to get all revive off.

Fluconazole kills algae. Don't worry about it for now. One thing to do is remove coral from the mounting it came on if you can and glue it onto something new and clean.

20190219_115750.thumb.jpg.61b77090e2dd700d1e309ff041ee48c7.jpg

Like I did here with the FREE ZOAS @Aquarium Care Center sent with my rfa s today😉

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Nursecop818 said:

Awesome thanks!! I'm still kind of interpreting the comments about the dip and malaria medication/fungal meds?? Whaaaaattt? I guess I didn't realize that's what's in all that stuff but at the same time, I haven't yet had to cross that bridge.

haha, ya. I was just pointing out there are products sometimes people use that seem crazy!!

This is what I have on hand for dips... Iodine is good for soft coral and lps bacterial infections. Coral Rx is a basic dip for pests for many types of coral and Bayer I use on sensitive coral or just in general. Sometimes I use both if I feel the coral is from a questionable source.

Bulk reef supply has videos on dipping and treating pests. 

There are many different brands and everyone has a favorite but most work just fine!

IMG_20190219_155121.jpg

• Wow 1

I left out the parts about using a toothpick or something to scrape out books and crannies, using syringe to squirt in all the holes and crevices, soft brush to brush baddies and their eggs away... @Tamberav reminded me I need to start using bayer.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
48 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Wow I got some revive will that work? I didn’t realize there was so much involved! 

Lots of people use different dips and report different levels of success. I've always used Revive and haven't had any issues (but I am new and inexperienced) because the Bayer stuff is not sold here due to its legality. But I bought revive because I've heard a few people recommend it strongly. The Bayer stuff is probably 100% the best, though but I wouldn't worry that much if you get corals from reputable sources. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1