Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question about a 5 Gallon Tank

Trinatis

I use to have a salt water tank in the past due to a lot of moving i had to sadly stop, So a lot of small nuances are still slowly coming back to me. I now own a 5 gallon Fluval EVO tank that i want to turn into a nano reef. I also own a canister filter i used on my bigger tank in the past, Would it be useful to use the canister filter in the tank in place of the small built in one? I can see how i could easily hook it up if so, Ty for any responses! 

Depends on how big the canister filter is and how fast the flow rate is on it. I would watch some YouTube videos on how to remove the all in one wall of the filter then install the canister filter as you would on a normal tank.

Canister filters need more maintenance.

Being able to hide everything in the back chambers makes aio tanks popular.

Most upgrade the stock filters on the Evo with a media basket and better media like carbon, purigen, chemipure etc.etc

Upgrade the pump, some add refugium as well in the back.

Thank you two for the great advice. The canister was for my 50 gallon none reef salt tank in the past. I did also just looked up the Media basket and i did not know that existed and wow the media basket is quite nice. i may go with that after some more research into it.

Edit: Is there a upgraded pump that you would recommend? 

I ended up getting a Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ 606 Water Pump - 159gph, I did research the canister i had and i think 1200 gallons per hour is prob not good for the 5 gallon tank >.> but i do plan on getting a Media basket within the month with all the goodies that will go into it.

6 minutes ago, Trinatis said:

I ended up getting a Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ 606 Water Pump - 159gph, I did research the canister i had and i think 1200 gallons per hour is prob not good for the 5 gallon tank >.> but i do plan on getting a Media basket within the month with all the goodies that will go into it.

You can make a media basket easily until you can get one.

I have a Fluval Evo 5 too and although I’m sure the extra canister filtration wouldn’t hurt I don’t think it’s necessary. This is redundent info on here but the most important thing for a system so small (at least for my system) is consistent weekly water changes with RODI water. I’ve never had problems with cyano or algae, and I use cheap filter floss, phosguard, and activated carbon. I also upgraded the light and the return pump to run around 160gph I believe. 

4D8F3A86-006D-4A48-96EB-648ED0D227B7.jpeg